News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Santa Maria to Ventura
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:42:04 PM »
Hey All,

I'll likely be headed down to Santa Barbara next winter(Feb) for my daughters LAX tourney.  I've done a bunch of GCA searches and come up with a top 5 list, (as best as I can tell from the varied comments). My search area was approx Santa Maria to the north and Ventura to the south.

I only have time for two rounds, (remote possibility for a 3rd depending on her teams schedule).  One of the two will certainly be Rustic as I've wanted to see that for awhile.  So for my So Cal friends and others in the know, how would you say these other 5 shake out in terms of a second? (How the course plays in wet conditions would certainly be helpful given time of year)

• Soule Park
  • La Purisma
  • Ojai
  • Sandpiper
  • Olivias Links
Thanks for your response!

William_G

Re: Santa Maria to Ventura
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »
I'd play Rustic twice
It's all about the golf!

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 04:50:47 PM »
Kalen,

My vote would be Sandpiper as your second choice.  There are a couple of wonky architectural spots out there, but overall, I think it is better than most people give it credit for.

Let me know closer to February if you'd rather not play alone.

Sam Kestin

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 06:09:17 PM »
Olivas Links has a great set of greens--really interesting contours and hole locations. Ojai Valley is great classic architecture--an old George Thomas design whose front nine I really thoroughly enjoy. Sandpiper has the views--few courses in Southern California have better looks at the Pacific.

Soule Park is fun but definitely a step behind the other three. La Purisima is okay as well but definitely not up there with Olivas, Sandpiper or Ojai.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:13:12 PM »
Kalen,

My vote would be Sandpiper as your second choice.  There are a couple of wonky architectural spots out there, but overall, I think it is better than most people give it credit for.

Let me know closer to February if you'd rather not play alone.

If money isn't a factor and you desire to play two courses I would go this way:
1.  Sandpiper, terrific ocean views
2.  Ojai Valley Inn, will be in the best condition
3.  Soule Park, you can see a partial Gil Hanse redo and study what could be done with more Gil and more money.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 11:05:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

And if it means anything, I love quirk...the funkier the better, just as long as its not Art Hills funk!  ;D

P.S.  Jordan I will let you know as we get closer.  I think thier game schedule is firmed up in late december.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 11:39:25 PM »
Rancho Maria is a very cool, family owned course.  Low budget, golf as it was meant to be.  It has some serious quirk...it's not going to win any architectural awards.  It's in an absolutely beautiful setting.  If you're into something off the beaten path, almost hidden gem worthy, it might be worth a look.  And if you go, make sure you eat breakfast at Kay's Orcutt Country Kitchen...it's that good!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:41:45 PM by Greg Chambers »
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 11:44:37 PM »
You might consider Rancho San Marcos too. Beautiful course in the San Marcos Pass just east of SB. I dont remember if you played in the KP at Santa Maria CC but it is a very good parkland
course that is friendly to nonmembers.

I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 11:56:24 PM »
Olivia's Links is a very nice layout wth some interesting greens and is fun to play. Forest Richardson did a great job designing a playable and affordable course.
Sandpiper has some stunning views but the conditioning is poor and the inland holes are forgettable.
Ojai is simply in a stunning setting and the course is pretty good.
Rancho San Marcos is also in a pretty setting and the golf is just ok.
For me the sleeper is La Purisma. I played its this spring and was thrilled by it. Play it in the morning before the wind gets up. It is a difficult test but fun to play for lower handicappers. I enjoyed it a lot and was surprised because I knew nothing about it previously. It has held both LPGA events and I believe Champion's Rour events.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Kiely

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 12:56:29 AM »
Not sure if photos will help you decide, but if so, here are my albums of Sandpiper and Olivas Links:

Sandpiper:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24952137@N00/albums/72157651813210379

Olivas Links:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24952137@N00/albums/72157655610026464

If conditioning matters, right now Soule Park is reportedly in poor condition, and I wouldn't necessarily count on "wet" conditions even if it is the supposed rainy season. Olivas is currently in excellent condition.

Architecturally, I'd rank them as follows:
1. Ojai
2. La Purisima
3. Olivas Links
4. Sandpiper
5. Soule Park (Don't interpret this the wrong way; I really like all five of these courses.)

La P might have the most quirk of the bunch. I remember a funky par 5 on the back. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Edit: I also agree with Greg in mentioning Rancho Maria as another option. I loved that course the one time I played it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:58:41 AM by Mark Kiely »
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 01:05:16 AM »
I like Tom Doaks description of Sandpiper: some call it the Pebble Beach of the south, but really it's the Torrey Pines of the north. I would try and do both Ojai and Soule Park. SP has the same kind of fun shots as Rustic in a non intimidating fashion. Ojai's best holes are truly timeless. La Purisima is just a brute. I saw one of the best driving exhibitions there from a former mini tour player and he failed to break 80!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:48:51 AM »
Soule park beats the heck out of Rancho Maria.
Rancho San Marcos only had a couple of interesting holes to me.
Santa Maria CC has a good back 9 , but the front is quite pedestrian.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 01:39:01 PM »
Thanks All,

You've given me some good stuff to think about.  Interesting to note there is no real consensus among the group, which is actually OK because my daughters University team usually plays in SB every year, so I should have the next 4 years to explore it all!  :)

P.S  Thanks Mark for the photo tours, nice pics!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »
P.S.  I've heard mixed reviews on Ojai valley.  Just how much George Thomas is left out there??

I played Saticoy years ago (Pre 2000) before I even got into GCA kinda stuff.  I didn't think much of it back then...but maybe I just didn't know what I was looking at.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:44:03 PM by Kalen Braley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 03:48:04 PM »
At the KP you backed out of to avoid playing me, Tommy gave us a tour of Ojai, and talked about the restoration of Thomas. So, unless things have changed since then, there should be a significant amount of Thomas there.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »
At the KP you backed out of to avoid playing me, Tommy gave us a tour of Ojai, and talked about the restoration of Thomas. So, unless things have changed since then, there should be a significant amount of Thomas there.

You're right Garland I couldn't make that KP....but I rolled you like a joint and smoked you big time at Sagebrush!!   ;D   ;D

We need to get the grudge match going again, I need to even things up!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 04:18:29 PM »
On a side note,  I've done a little looking around on other things to do in the area, but what would the treehouse recommend?

I'm thinking hang out spots for a drink, places to eat, other interesting things to do...

Thanks in Advance!!

P.S.  While Sideways is one of my fav movies ever, I'm not into wine, so don't worry about Frass Canyon or stuff like that!!   ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 04:27:04 PM »
Kalen, if you're going to be right in Santa Barbara, save yourself some driving and play the extremely quirky and fun local muni, which we always called "the muni," but is now called Santa Barbara Golf Club.   It's right by 101 near the fairgrounds, only 10 minutes from my UCSB campus.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »
Kalen, if you're going to be right in Santa Barbara, save yourself some driving and play the extremely quirky and fun local muni, which we always called "the muni," but is now called Santa Barbara Golf Club.   It's right by 101 near the fairgrounds, only 10 minutes from my UCSB campus.
Very fun course built on the side of a hill with par 66 and quite a few drivable par 4's and few hazards. Shot my personal record of 62 there the only time I played it and never went back so I wouldnt ruin that score. LOL.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

William_G

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »
Whatever Pete Lavalee recommends after your 2 rounds at Rustic...of course you may have to plan around traffic  :o
It's all about the golf!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
P.S.  I've heard mixed reviews on Ojai valley.  Just how much George Thomas is left out there??

I played Saticoy years ago (Pre 2000) before I even got into GCA kinda stuff.  I didn't think much of it back then...but maybe I just didn't know what I was looking at.

I played Saticoy this spring. I had played it about fifteen years ago and didn't much like it. After I played this year I couldn't figure out why. I thought it was excellent. I think some work had been done on the course. Seems to me the bunkering was renovated.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jon McSweeny

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 07:50:06 PM »
I had the opportunity to play La Purisima last Thursday and Saturday, as well as Olivas on Sunday. Both courses are in excellent shape (Olivas is incredibly well-conditioned given the volume of play it receives.) I also usually visit them in late December when they tend to be in excellent shape as well. If you'd like a scouting report around that time- feel free to let me know.

Quick note related to courses not on your list. Rancho San Marcos has been pummeled by the water issues we have been experiencing and in its present condition, would be a clear and dramatic second to any course on your list. Additionally, your list doesn't contain the Alisal Ranch course. I haven't had the opportunity to play that course but I've never met anyone who was disappointed with it. The Alisal River course, however, is not nearly as well regarded. Nice little resort there too if that has any value to you.

Ignoring all non-golf factors- and with your love of quirk- I would highly recommend La Purisima. I think it's head and shoulders above the other courses despite your list being full of really good courses (Olivas is on my short list of best California publics.) If we knew each other better, I would rather say terrible things about those dearest to you than let you make that trip without stopping at LP. ;) It's a wonderful spot.

For the after golf, Sandpiper and then an evening in Santa Barbara is pretty tough to beat. Olivas will leave you in Ventura, which you can definitely enjoy for an evening or two as well. It's also freeway close, and reasonably close to Rustic. Ojai is a great resort, and a neat little town, but a bit out of the way and can get a touch cold for golf in the Winter time. Soule leaves you in the city of Ojai as well.

LP is right next to Lompoc which is not exactly a tourist mecca. There are a couple of decent dining spots in town, but you won't regret it if you never stay there. If you do play LP- and want to stay someplace close by with a bit more charm- Solvang is just a few minutes from there and is a really neat place to spend an evening or two as well.

Frankly, you can't really go wrong at any of the five you mentioned. All of them definitely merit a visit and would be superior to a second round at Rustic IMO.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 10:47:24 PM »
Soule park beats the heck out of Rancho Maria.
Rancho San Marcos only had a couple of interesting holes to me.
Santa Maria CC has a good back 9 , but the front is quite pedestrian.

I would agree that Soule is "better" than Rancho Maria...the purpose of my post was to suggest that there are other cool options besides the usual suspects.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »
Very fun course built on the side of a hill with par 66 and quite a few drivable par 4's and few hazards. Shot my personal record of 62 there the only time I played it and never went back so I wouldnt ruin that score. LOL.

You've got to be thinking of a different course, the muni is par 70 and no driveable par 4s I can think of. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 09:05:47 AM »

Quick note related to courses not on your list. Rancho San Marcos has been pummeled by the water issues we have been experiencing and in its present condition, would be a clear and dramatic second to any course on your list.

I drove past there earlier this summer and did a double take when I saw the dramatic tawny colored contours. If I had had time I would've liked to have stopped to see if the course played as firm and fast as it looked. Just beautiful.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:07:58 AM by Eric Smith »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back