News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Askernish - a contrarian view
« on: August 21, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »
I just returned from a week on South Uist where I played 5 rounds (well, nearly, more of which later) at Askernish, which I had joined in advance.  I know that at least one person out there is keen for my views.

For those that don't know, South Uist is one of the Outer Hebrides, a string of islands off the west coast of Scotland which are as remote as the UK gets.  A small population of genuinely lovely people live on islands which can be as beautiful as anywhere on earth and must, in winter, be nearly as bleak as anywhere.  The islands are lined with utterly gorgeous beaches but, as should be expected of a string of islands separated from Canada only by a couple of thousand miles of Atlantic ocean are subject to a windy and variable climate.

The history of the current course at Askernish has been widely discussed here and there are a number of photo threads that can relatively easily be found.  This post is not a profile of the course nor a detailed analysis but rather my impression of the golf course.  There's no doubt that Askernish is an extremely beautiful place, sitting as it does on the dunes dividing the island from the ocean.  Nor is there any denying that a number of the holes are, simply, stunning to look at.  Minimal (if any) earth moving was done to create the course and, as other threads discuss, conditioning is basic.  It is worth noting now that the rough is almost unique to Askernish.  The dunes it sits on are populated by the Machair, a local plantlife which, in spring, is particularly beautiful.  It is, however, thick, deep (at least 6 inches deep) and verdant.  As rough, it makes the long grass at Muirfield look like the first cut at Augusta.

Askernish has simply extraordinary but utterly brilliant greens.  Yes, as other posts explain, they are slow, but they are not too slow for the shape that they are and the best of them are thrilling.

Almost without exception, Askernish has attracted great praise here.  There is no doubt that a number of the holes are great, or potentially great holes.  2 is a wonderful par 3 with a green with a ridge running across it, and a dune protecting the front right.  4 is a par 4 with a narrowing fairway and a green placed on a hill which repels all but the most perfectly struck approach.  6 is a long par 5 (Askernish opens and closes with a pair of gentle, relatively flat par 5s, The other par fives are long and difficult) with a green at the top of a steep slope.  7 is a wonderful long par 4, with a drive to be threaded between dunes and a long approach to a benched green in the dunes.  8 is, in my opinion, one of the greatest short par 4s I have ever seen, the tee shot must take on a gully cutting in to the fairway from the right, the elevated green sits atop a dune with a deep bunker eating into the front right of the green.  12 is a long par 5 with two fairways.  I thought the left, shorter fairway was redundant, requiring as it did a 220 yard carry to a narrow ribbon of cut grass until both my teenage sons hit the fairway in our last round there.  The green, protected by another of the very few bunkers on the course, runs away at an angle.  14 is a wonderful par 3 to a plateau green, where any miss is trouble.  15 another narrowing fairway and a fantastic, shallow punchbowl green.  16 has yet another narrowing fairway from an elevated tee but with a mound on the left which can help propel a tee shot forwards, before an approach, likely with a short iron, to an utterly extraordinary, entirely insane but utterly brilliant green complex, another punchbowl but with a volcano-like mound sitting in front of it.

The people I met at Askernish were, without exception, very friendly and generous.  I am proud to be a member of a club that those people are members of.

However, there's a but, and it's a very big but.  I played three rounds in a strong south westerly wind.  One in a stiff breeze from the same direction and one with a more gentle North Easterly.  The course has, as described, a number of great or potentially great holes and is as beautiful a golf course as I have seen.  But I didn't enjoy it very much.

I don't mind, indeed I really quite enjoy difficult golf courses.  I love Muirfield, I really enjoyed my rounds at Carnoustie and Wolf Run, despite not breaking 100 at either.  Unlike, say, Sean Arble, I don't mind the rough at Muirfield and its punitive nature.  However, I have never lost as many balls as I did at Askernish.  The rough, even just off the fairway, is brutally thick and deep.  The fairways, for such an exposed course, are not wide.  It seemed, at times, that any, even slight, missed shot was a lost ball.  The 11th is a much photographed long par 3, to a green sitting on the top of a dune, right by the beach.  But it requires a 170 yard carry.  Into the wind I encountered on the second and third days I was there, I simply did not have a shot to make that carry and failure was a guaranteed lost ball.  There's no bail out.  In my third round, I walked straight from the 10th green to the 12th tee.  Simply no point trying to play a shot that is, for me (I'm, I like to think, a decent 11 handicap), impossible.  Down a gentle breeze my lovely, gentle draw was all over the flag.  The result was the same, a lost ball, presumably through the back, on the dune down to the beach.

The 6th has a new tee, offset to the right, to give a spectacular view of the beach.  What it means, into the wind, however, is that the golfer is faced with a tee shot to a ribbon of fairway at an angle.  Any miss, be it right, left, long or short of this effective Cape shot, is, guess what, a lost ball.  That is the story of a round at Askernish, any small error results at least in a long search and most likely a lost ball.  That is deeply frustrating.  In my five rounds there I played "well" (in that I mostly hit the ball well) twice, moderately twice and poorly once.  In one round, in the strongest wind, I was simply so frustrated by the difficulty that I walked off the course after hitting a well struck tee shot on 7 which caught the wind and missed the fairway by, perhaps, 3 yards, never to be found again.  On one occasion, as stated above, I simply didn't bother playing the 11th, as there was no point, there was no possibility but yet another lost ball.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing is that this beautiful, extraordinary golf course could, indeed should, be a great course.  All it needs is for the rough to be managed.  I know the club has a very limited budget but the islands are populated by sheep.  Let them loose on the course (as they are at Kington amd Brora, and as cows are at Pennard) and I suspect the problem would be solved.

Askernish is a great place and the story of the golf club there is full of romance.  I can't help feeling that that romance has clouded the views of some of the reviewers I have read.  As it is now (or at least was last week), Askernish is just too hard to be enjoyable for me.  Constant searching for balls, lost balls and the like are not fun, at least not when a feature of virtually every hole.  As I mentioned above, I played three of those rounds with my twin teenage sons.  They're decent sportsmen but not overly keen golfers.  Both love the quirk and challenge of Kington.  Both would quite happily never play at Askernish again.  For me that is a tragedy, because there is something truly wonderful there, if only it could be made less of an ordeal to get your ball round it.

No doubt I'll be contradicted to those who have loved their time there.  Indeed, I quite look forward to it.  But can any of you honestly say that a course with a less romantic back story would get a free pass on the brutal rough and sheer difficulty of Askernish?  Can anyone really say that this course would not be elevated substantially  by an easing of the rough?

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Askernish - a contrarian view
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »
Mark,

as you have pointed out the club has a very small budget making man-hours a big issue. I know from personal experience that getting a new course established takes an awful lot of work and it has taken me 5 years before I can say I have enough time to keep on top of the rough through the season. Hopefully in a couple of years the club will be able to address this problem. As to having sheep on the course I can only surmise that there is either some sort of restriction on grazing or maybe to few sheep :D

Jon

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 05:33:59 PM »
Mark:

Has it been a year for thick rough in that part of the UK?

When I played there two years ago in an event, the rough was punishing but we did not lose very many balls.  It wasn't exceptionally windy but it was blowing pretty good.

Unfortunately, the golf course is a victim of its remoteness.  There is very little money for manpower to work on the fairways, let alone the roughs.  If there were more traffic, the foot traffic would sort out some of the more popular spots in the rough, but alas, the course is so remote that the few golfers get no help from their fellow golfers.

I'm not sure your solution for maintaining the rough would be permitted by the local council.  The neighboring farmers are very sensitive about their land and nobody wants any fences out there ... the farmers own right up to the fairways at the far end of the links, if I recall correctly.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 05:50:47 PM »
Nicely considered and written piece, Mr P.
I've recently (last weekend) played Mach Dunes which had similar issues in the early days, but is now managing the gunch way better. Losing balls is the most frustrating issue with any golf course imho.
Best,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »
Tom,

I don't know about the Western Isles but much of the northern UK has has a warm but wet summer and most courses I have played this year have had thick rough.  I assume that much the same is true in the Hebrides.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »
Jon,

I'm not sure that the club's budget (and, as Tom says, lack of traffic) will ever allow for a completely human solution to the problem.  I do hope, however, that as the course continues to mature, the rough will ease. 

Marty,

Interestingly, Mach Dunes came up in conversation as a course that originally had similar issues.  How did they address it there?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 01:33:25 AM »
Mark, I think every new links course with relatively small initial footfall will have the same issue with heavy ball losing rough just off the fairway.... Which means you need even wider fairways to make the course feel playable at the beginning, something that isn't usually achieved for a few reasons.

Mach Dunes were restricted in what they could mow but gradually pushed out the fairway lines with agreement from SNH. Matched with heavier footfall (trampling on frequently used areas) and more than likely a healthy budget, that has been why they have succeeded.

Incidentally budget helps in two ways. The smaller aspect is the one Jon mentions - the extra man hours to mow short grass. The much larger aspect is courses with big budgets can spend time eradicating the broad leaf grasses from the first 15m of primary rough, allowing only the wispy fescue to thrive.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 01:50:32 AM »
Well said, Ally, but there ain't much "wispy fescue" at Dornoch these days, despite our huge maintenance budget.  Weather happens....

Mark

You are not a contrarian.   You are a truth teller.  Thanks.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 02:15:29 AM »

Well said, Ally, but there ain't much "wispy fescue" at Dornoch these days, despite our huge maintenance budget.  Weather happens....

Rich

I could it be the rough issue here has as much to do with fairway irrigation as the weather.

Jon

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 03:22:18 AM »
Sheep and cattle graze the golf course during the winter, part of the agreement under which the golf course was recreated. They take them off in spring and they go on the hill. So there cannot be any fundamental issue that prevents the stock staying year round.

Tom D, technically pretty much all the land on Uist is owned by Storas Uibhist, the community-controlled company that bought the island from the absentee lairds about ten years ago under the Scottish right to buy law. It was this that basically made the golf course possible. The farmers are tenants under crofting leases.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 06:24:36 AM »
Sheep and cattle graze the golf course during the winter, part of the agreement under which the golf course was recreated. They take them off in spring and they go on the hill. So there cannot be any fundamental issue that prevents the stock staying year round.

Adam,

there could be a myriad of reasons as to why the land is not grazed in the summer most of which are environmental but possibly the most important is that if the area is ostensibly low quality winter grazing you it would not be sustainable to graze it in the summer as well.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 06:34:25 AM »
Protection of birds nesting in the grass places limitations on rough cutting on some courses. Is Askernish one such course?

Also, have the areas of nearby grass/fields that are annually cut and bailed by the local farmers been cut yet?

Atb

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »
Never mind sheep, the answer according to none other than Dr Alister MacKenzie is rabbits - and lots of them!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spirit-St-Andrews-Alister-MacKenzie/dp/1886947007

Click "Look inside", and scroll past the foreword and introduction to Chapter One - The Evolution of Golf

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:47:30 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 02:51:05 PM »
Plenty of rabbits (or, at least, burrowing animals) on the course, given the number of rabbit holes in the fairways!

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 03:15:59 PM »
Mark:

This summer has been a wild one for Rough in Scotland and Ireland! We had the hottest July on record, yet as it hasnt felt like it as the rain has been torrential. Great weather for the sheep farmers, not so much bad drives.

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
Mark,

I did love my time at Askernish, but I'm not going to argue with you, I agree with you!

When I played, something like 5 years ago now, it was a sunny calm day, and so the place did indeed feel magical. However on the few times I missed fairways, I did lose my ball every time! I played half the round on my own and half with Ralph Thomson, but when playing social or holiday golf, I dont spend much time looking for a ball, and just dropped another nearby, so it was all very enjoyable. If I had thought about my score, well I dread to think!

I too like tough courses, but I only had one round on a calm day. If I played it in the wind you talk about, I would probably have found it just as tough, but suspect that I would have still loved it, as at the end of the day I was on holiday and not grinding over a medal card?

I also played within a year or so of the course opening, so realised that the rough was an early problem, but would have hoped it was at least a little way to being manageable by now, so I'm sorry to hear its not yet there? I'd love to see sheep on the course, especially as Brora is another firm favourite of mine, and cant see why that wouldn't help the rough (after all the rough is virtually none existent at Brora).

So I dont see your view as a contrarian one, just one more brutally honest than perhaps mine was when I posted a dewy eyed photo tour...  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »
Is it possible the rough cut, baled and stored earlier in the golf season?

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 06:50:53 PM »
Does anyone have a ballpark idea of how many visitor rounds a year Askernish is seeing?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 07:36:40 PM »
How do,you get there?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Charles Lund

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 08:36:02 PM »
Tommy,

http://www.loganair.co.uk/golf/askernish

Think the flight lands on a beach.

Other option is a long drive followed by a long ferry ride.

Charles Lund

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 07:31:39 AM »
Is it possible the rough cut, baled and stored earlier in the golf season?

Bill,

not really as the grass need to grow high enough to be bailed and probably the type of grass is not really attractive for this as it will be low nutrient. Secondly, if they do that then it will almost certainly make winter grazing nonviable and finally I doubt they have the finance or man power to do so.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 07:52:09 AM »
To add further to the debate it may have something to do with the nesting and breeding habits of a bird called the corncrake - for more details see - https://scotlandsnature.wordpress.com/2015/05/29/species-of-the-month-corncrake/

Atb

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »
To add further to the debate it may have something to do with the nesting and breeding habits of a bird called the corncrake - for more details see - https://scotlandsnature.wordpress.com/2015/05/29/species-of-the-month-corncrake/

Atb
Indeed.  The corncrake is the emblem of Askernish and the Machair is characterised by flowers, rather than just grasses.  In a number of places the Machair is marked as a lateral water hazard.

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 08:44:42 AM »
Mark:

This summer has been a wild one for Rough in Scotland and Ireland! We had the hottest July on record, yet as it hasnt felt like it as the rain has been torrential. Great weather for the sheep farmers, not so much bad drives.

I wouldn't say it's been particularly bad in this part of the west of Scotland. End May and start June was pretty good and don't know if that kept the rough down relative to east coast.

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 08:46:01 AM »
Tommy,

http://www.loganair.co.uk/golf/askernish

Think the flight lands on a beach.

Other option is a long drive followed by a long ferry ride.

The flight that lands on the beach goes to Barra, an island south of Askernish [which is on South Uist].  It's a bit of a ferry ride from there.  The more common way to fly is to Benbecula, on North Uist, and then get a car to drive down. 

I did the long-way trip driving up to the Isle of Skye and taking the ferry across 2-3 years ago.  It's a great trip if you are going with your wife, and don't need to play golf every day along the way.  But one reason Askernish struggles is that it's too far off the beaten path for the Americans who want to play a dozen courses in a week's trip.  You've got to want to get there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back