News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re: CC of Spartanburg Photo Tour (hole #18 posted)
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 10:04:56 AM »
It is, in truth, a wonderful course. I enjoyed my day playing there very much.

Pity I almost never have occasion to be in the Upstate. I believe my own club has reciprocals with CC of Spartanburg plus I happen to know a member there as well!  ;D

Paul Gray

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »
BC,

Thanks for bringing this thread back.

I've never seen or heard of this course before and, aside from the obvious tree issues, I think it looks outstanding. It certainly looks like there are strategic option to be had. Despite its appearance (not that I'm suggesting it looks bad in any way), there's something about the apparent tactical nuances which gets me thinking of heathland golf.

The 7th fairway could/should be widened in order to cause more run and therefore a different angle for balls lurking out that way, no? 
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

BHoover

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »
This course looks very solid. Definitely appreciate seeing a course that I've never heard about much, if at all.

Looking through the entire thread, I'm struck by how great dormant Bermuda is, both visually and as a playing surface, provided that it's firm, as Brent points out.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:37:27 PM by Brian Hoover »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »
Especially on a sandy (or least least sandy mix) soil where moisture from winter rains will eventually drained away, dormant Bermuda is nearly the equal of cool climate grasses as a playing turf.

If you've got clay under that Bermuda, given that the dormant grass does not transport any moisture you tend to end up with damp turf in the winter unless you literally have 2+ weeks with no rain.

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
Loved the photo's and geez...this place is just up the road from me in Knoxville and never been!  The 11th looks like a fun volcano-ish hole.  The movement on this property looks really interesting.  Appears there could be more tree removal to open up sun/width/angles, but the redesign looks really amazing.  The bunkering looks exactly like ours at Holston Hills.  Total off the radar - but fun looking place to play.
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Kris Spence

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
Joe, thanks for bringing the CCS thread back around.  It was interesting to see the photos again and read others descriptions and comments of the course.  3 times in recent weeks, once in FL, I was asked about CCS and people commented how much they liked the course.  One gentleman actually suggested I go see it as he thought it had a really cool old school feel and character.  He felt I would like it but didn't know who designed it. 

A few thoughts, the tree on 5 sits well below the tee elevation and is a reasonable carry for most.  I wanted to remove the large trees left of 7 but was overruled.  I preferred bunkers, low rolling mounds or a combination of both.  The trees have since died but not replaced with any feature.  There is a small hazard over there if I'm not mistaken.

There were many discussions about 17, ultimately my ideas for the hole were not accepted so I tried to make it the most interesting and fun hole I could based on what I had to work with.  I've often wondered if I tried a bit too much on the hole.  Looking at the photo did make me smile and want to go play it.

The course is definitely some of my best and most creative work on and around the green.  I look forward to seeing it soon as I finally have a short break in my schedule to pay them a visit before the Blowing Rock project.

Great photos Bruce, thanks.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2016, 08:29:26 PM »
Bruce- my daughter is living in Spartanburg now so I need to come visit!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back