News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

A wee trip to Providence and southern CT
« on: August 18, 2016, 08:56:12 AM »
I just returned from a Sunday-Wednesday scoot to Providence and southern Connecticut. We had the opportunity to play Wanumetonomy, Wannamoisett, Triggs, Black Hall, Yale and do a drive-around of Metacomet (round pre-empted by second round of Rhode Island Mid-Am.)

Quick thoughts: I love par fives, so playing Wanu and Wanna was interesting, as both are bereft of the longer holes (one each.)

Triggs is in wonderful shape and is the best place to play for a roustabout in Providence. The course is entertaining and challenging (watch out for the carry on the par-five 15th-way longer than you imagine) and the food in the clubhouse is smackingly delicious.

Driving Meta was nice, as we could take longer looks at how we might play the course.

Black Hall is an extraordinary RTJSr course that flies way under the radar. We nicknamed the exposed rocks "Wans," in honor of our trip to Rhode Island. Loved the Wans! Loved the golf course. Tree removal works!

Yale is Yale. With Bill Crane, even more enjoyable. Knowing that #3 is not a dogleg left helps tremendously in tee-shot placement. 18 is still a soul-crushing affair. Everyone outdrove me there...I need 'roids.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:51:39 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: A wee trip to Providence and southern CT
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:41:18 PM »
Here are a few pics from the day at Triggs. More to follow as the days get shorter and the golf fades in the north.

http://buffalogolfer.com/wordpress/triggs-marvelous-triggs/

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Cob Carlson

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 09:57:59 AM »
Triggs is a FANTASTIC Ross muni. You get it all. Stout par threes, short par three, great short par fours, championship quality long fours. Beautiful routing. Lots of challenging green complexes. Cheap to play. Need more like it across America....

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 11:54:55 AM »
enjoyed your article and pics of Triggs. Any city would be lucky to have a muni like Triggs. Your advice to play it two or three times is spot on -- it took me several rounds to figure out better ways to play the par-five holes as well as the par-four 16th. Also agree with you on the use of long fescue -- adds tremendously to the look of the course without unduly penalizing the slightly misjudged shots.

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
I just returned from a Sunday-Wednesday scoot to Providence and southern Connecticut. We had the opportunity to play Wanumetonomy, Wannamoisett, Triggs, Black Hall, Yale and do a drive-around of Metacomet (round pre-empted by second round of Rhode Island Mid-Am.)

Quick thoughts: I love par fives, so playing Wanu and Wanna was interesting, as both are bereft of the longer holes (one each.)

Triggs is in wonderful shape and is the best place to play for a roustabout in Providence. The course is entertaining and challenging (watch out for the carry on the par-five 15th-way longer than you imagine) and the food in the clubhouse is smackingly delicious.

Driving Meta was nice, as we could take longer looks at how we might play the course.

Black Hall is an extraordinary RTJSr course that flies way under the radar. We nicknamed the exposed rocks "Wans," in honor of our trip to Rhode Island. Loved the Wans! Loved the golf course. Tree removal works!

Yale is Yale. With Bill Crane, even more enjoyable. Knowing that #3 is not a dogleg left helps tremendously in tee-shot placement. 18 is still a soul-crushing affair. Everyone outdrove me there...I need 'roids.

Ron-I'm interested to hear what makes Black Hall "extraordinary". It's a great club with a "golf only" culture but I'm missing the "extraordinary" part.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 08:56:57 PM »
Triggs is a FANTASTIC Ross muni. You get it all. Stout par threes, short par three, great short par fours, championship quality long fours. Beautiful routing. Lots of challenging green complexes. Cheap to play. Need more like it across America....

You definitely don't get to see munis with this pedigree too often and it was a pleasure to play.  I had the good fortune to play George Wright this past May, so I know there are at least two phenomenal ones available for bargain prices.

I'd say George Wright was a bit more interesting in the variety of tee shot demands, but there's definitely an element of quirk at GW that may turn people off.  Triggs is a little more "in front of you" and "traditional," but certainly never boring. 

The highlights to me were the 5th-7th, 13th, 14th, and 16th.  I wish there were many more short 4s like the 16th, with so much width but not "unthinking width" thanks to the single specimen tree on the corner.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 09:08:51 PM »

Ron-I'm interested to hear what makes Black Hall "extraordinary". It's a great club with a "golf only" culture but I'm missing the "extraordinary" part.

I'll let Ron respond to this one, but I found the shotmaking demands on the back 9 to be very interesting.  You need to really shape the ball both ways and think your way around several of the holes.  The demands felt similar to the shotmaking requirements at Crag Burn (RTJ's best effort in WNY region), but without the punitive edge of lost ball hay. 

I probably would never classify the course as extraordinary given the relative weakness of the par threes, but certainly a great course with wonderful variety on the Par 4s.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 11:24:38 PM »
My interest in RTJSR begins with his growing-up in Rochester, NY, near Buffalo. He often serves as a foil for the great golden-age architects and for their spiritual descendants. There ultimately has to be someone who swings the pendulum away from the original, the natural, in order for some future generation to swing it back.  We see it in Star Wars and we see it in golf course architecture. I don't know that a Mike Keiser-figure ever approached him and demanded a shaggy, fast-playing, lightly-bunkered track.

And yet, RTJSR did a lot of good work, especially on some of his private clubs. Here's a breakdown on Black Hall

-of 14 driving holes, 7 are gentle doglegs to straight, while 7 more are hard-turning doglegs;
-only one driving hole, the second, has the type of pinched-drive-zone, bunkers on both sides, scenario for which RTJSR and his ilk are vilified;
-with the exception of the 15th hole, there is room to work the ball both ways from the tee;
-with the exception of the 14th and 16th holes, the fairway does not run out prematurely, truncating the long tee ball;
-the par three holes are somewhat weak, and I am convinced that RTJSR had a disdain for, or an inability to build, short par three holes with small greens;

Black Hall is unlike the other courses that we played, yet it was eminently playable from te to green.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 03:47:45 AM »
Triggs looks like it needs a trim...what else is new?

Wanna is one of those mythical like clubs such as Myopia which is on my Next 25 North America list. Please, talk to me about it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 06:21:58 AM »
Wannamoisett is a tricky one. Its membership is gracious and welcoming, hosting events like the annual Northeast Amateur (summer amateur tour, one of the best) and the recent PGA Junior. The course is compact yet hearty. It begins with two stout 4s, a cross-quarry par 3 of inestimable challenge and quality, then a series of manageable holes packed with teeth if improper angles are taken. Its conditioning is country club traditional, meaning that there is little to no whispiness to the rough. The putting surfaces, with the exception of the wee 3rd, are large. The greenside bunkering protects against the aerial approach, although the great Ross left room for running approaches into nearly every green.

I enjoyed Wannamoisett very much. I'm on something of a summer amateur course tour these days. Our region hosts the Porter Cup at Niagara Falls country club. It's compelling to play the tracks like Wannamoisett, Niagara (the two I've played so far), Monroe (photoed but not played), Snee Farm, Sunnehanna, et al, that I've known for years through reports on those summer invitationals.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 06:39:05 AM »
RoMo-Speaking to your last post I came away a big fan of Sunnehanna. Great history with the tournament and a very solid Tillinghast effort. One of the great "Hockey" towns which is evident everywhere you go. Don't know why it doesn't get more acclaim.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 07:34:35 AM »
I'd like to see Sunne soon. I know it's a Ross. Don't know if it had a restoration. The stranglehold that eastern amateur events had on the summer series has ended; seems like each week a west coast and an east coast event vie for the attention of the world's top amateurs. The Australian national squad sends a contingent each year, culminating in the US Amateur. Would not be surprised if they split the squad into western and eastern touring groups.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 08:47:13 AM »
I'd like to see Sunne soon. I know it's a Ross. Don't know if it had a restoration. The stranglehold that eastern amateur events had on the summer series has ended; seems like each week a west coast and an east coast event vie for the attention of the world's top amateurs. The Australian national squad sends a contingent each year, culminating in the US Amateur. Would not be surprised if they split the squad into western and eastern touring groups.

Sunnehanna is a Tillinghast.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »
I'd have recalled that if I had played it :-(

I need to make a few phone calls and establish a mid-Atlantic trip for 2017.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Chris DeToro

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »
It begins with two stout 4s, a cross-quarry par 3 of inestimable challenge and quality, then a series of manageable holes packed with teeth if improper angles are taken. Its conditioning is country club traditional, meaning that there is little to no whispiness to the rough.

The fourth can actually be one of the tougher holes on the course.  It demands a left to right tee shot with OB left and, if you go right, you have a much longer approach with either trees blocking a direct approach or having to aim left bringing the OB very much into play on the left again.  The first "breather" is the impossible 5th green.

Relentless is a great word to describe the opening stretch of holes

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 07:01:10 AM »
It begins with two stout 4s, a cross-quarry par 3 of inestimable challenge and quality, then a series of manageable holes packed with teeth if improper angles are taken. Its conditioning is country club traditional, meaning that there is little to no whispiness to the rough.

The fourth can actually be one of the tougher holes on the course.  It demands a left to right tee shot with OB left and, if you go right, you have a much longer approach with either trees blocking a direct approach or having to aim left bringing the OB very much into play on the left again.  The first "breather" is the impossible 5th green.

Relentless is a great word to describe the opening stretch of holes

Absolutely one of the toughest outward nines anywhere.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back