News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The 16th vs the 10th, how do they compare?
« on: August 17, 2016, 02:49:38 PM »
While I never agreed most people have felt for quite sometime that the 10th is too severe and needs quieted down. Is the 16th the answer or is it even in the conversation?

Jim Sherma

Re: The 16th vs the 10th, how do they compare?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 03:47:59 PM »
I certainly think the tenth is fine unless the greens are running too fast and they lose the interesting pin placements. The 16th may appeal to some but isn't likely in the conversation for most.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:39:55 PM »
Huh?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:09:27 PM »
I was confused too, Matt, but now I think I understand.

No, John, the 16th is definitely not the answer.  The 16th is *never* the answer. There are fewer truly great 16th holes in the world than any other hole on the golf course, save for the 1st hole.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »
I was confused too, Matt, but now I think I understand.

Feel free to explain.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 12:33:23 AM »
Um...well, actually...I lied. I'm still confused. But I took a shot -- damn it, Jim, at least I took a shot!

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 01:17:40 AM »
The 16th hole at the Rio Olympics course gents...
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 01:30:09 AM »
how can we be discussing "for quite some time" the Rio Olympics course that we saw last week for the first time?

this is as silly a title and discussion as those other ones we used to see. why people combine snarky with cute is beyond me.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 07:55:23 AM »
If you don't know what this thread is about you haven't been paying enough attention to have an opinion that matters.

BCowan

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 09:12:24 AM »
Jkava,

You sure your not talking about 16 and 12?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceuIz7dMA8Q

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 09:33:01 AM »
We have known for quite some time that the Olympic Course would have a homage to the 10th at Riviera. Amy Alcott, one of the finest Athlete Ambassadors any sport has ever known and the girl who put Riviera on the radar for a generation of women, is on the design team. It's an exciting architectural challenge worth discussion.

Does the 16th at the Olympic Course answer the problems currently at the Riviera's 10th so often highlighted by Shackelford and Co on his blog? If not, why not?

Bob Montle

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 12:43:38 PM »

this is as silly a title and discussion as those other ones we used to see. why people combine snarky with cute is beyond me.

Now Ron, don't be snarky...
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Matthew Mollica

Re: The 16th vs the 10th, how do they compare? New
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 11:12:17 PM »
JK suggested in the opening post that for quite some time people have expressed a notion that Riv #10 is too severe. He's contrasting that with the 16th at Rio's Olympic course. I think it's a good thread, and an interesting, timely question.

Those unfamiliar with Hanse's 16th in Rio can lean more here - http://www.golfchannel.com/media/olympics-tee-green-hole-16/

Both are short fours, with loads of room off the tee. Both feature canted greens with some internal contour. Rio's 16th is only bunkered on one side of the green, yet that bunker is a severe hazard. Play into and around the green on Rio's 16th may be less prescriptive than we see at Riv's tenth in it's current mode of presentation. Hence John's thread.

Mike Clayton, on the ground in Rio this week, and caddying for a competitor in the Women's event, has suggested the hole is excellent. Easy to see why...

Matthew

P.S. - Truly great 16th holes? Cypress Point, Merion (East) both courses at Royal Melbourne, NGLA & TOC seem to handle the task OK :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:12:13 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back