News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Schott

Re: Oakland Hills Observations at the US AM
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
While there are a lot of trees on OH South, I was struck by how few have an impact on play unless a tee shot is really wild. I'm also struck that the course does not take pains to manicure under these trees. There is no mulch around them and the grass grows right to their bases.

Matt Schiffer

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 01:18:21 PM »
I saw Plainfield CC yesterday and was struck by how similar it feels to Oakland Hills in terms of the long ridge landforms and, to a lesser extent, the routing.  The biggest difference is that one's been widened and restored to Ross's original strategy while the other has not. 

Also interesting that Plainfield is longer than OH on the scorecard but yielded -19 to Jason Day when it hosted the Barclay's last year.  I guess that's what could be expected at OH if they were to widen the fairways and lessen the impact of the rough around the greens? 

Ignoring tournaments and super-human professionals, Plainfield sure looked like a much more fun place to play a round of golf.
Providing freelance design, production and engineering for GCAs around the world! http://greengrassengineering.com/landing/

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »
Plainfield is longer than OH on the scorecard

I love Plainfield. However it played at 7,030/70 for the Barclays and maxes out at 7,091, while OH South played 7,129/70 for stroke play and maxes out at 7,445.

Matt Schiffer

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »
Ah, that makes sense. With my game, I don't spend a lot of time searching for the hidden "Tiger Tees"...
Providing freelance design, production and engineering for GCAs around the world! http://greengrassengineering.com/landing/

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2016, 08:15:18 AM »
I made it out to OHCC for the first time on Friday afternoon very late, but had a chance to see most of the South course (I'd already seen the North course a few years ago during the MI State Am.) I think the photos speak for themselves with the usual caveat that they don't capture the true movement of the land. The scale of the course was probably the most impressive thing to me. The little bit of play that I did see in person was excellent, and there's nothing quite like the smell of competition. You'd have to be dead to not feel it.

First hole from left of the tee:

9 from the north:

11 from the valley before the large mound on the left:

11 peek at the green from the top of the left mound:

13 north (right) of the green:

15 layup area:

16 (normal) approach:

16, where Boote's drive, and Dalke's 3W came to rest:

17 tee:

18 drive zone:

18 fairway bunker detail:

18th green looking back:

Jim Nugent

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2016, 08:50:39 AM »
Russ, how far did those tee shots on 16 go?  Also, what scores did the players make on that hole?

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2016, 09:57:35 AM »
Russ, how far did those tee shots on 16 go?  Also, what scores did the players make on that hole?
Jim, they had the tee moved up that day. Measuring on Google Earth, it looks like they were about 275 to 285. 250 to clear the water. Dalke was 2up at that point. Dalke chipped it just outside gimme range, then Boote, with the pressure on, hit a pretty poor chip well past and missed his par putt. Dalke then holed his birdie to win 3 and 2.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back