News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Re: Oakland Hills Observations at the US AM
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 10:45:08 AM »
I don't understand why these guys wear trousers/pants when they could wear shorts. Can someone explain this?

Brian-
I was wondering the same thing while watching on television yesterday. My only guess is that these guys all want to be tour players and that is how tour players dress  >:(
-JPB

Brent Carlson

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 10:49:34 AM »
Nice photos Dan.  Agree 100% with you about the setup.  Refreshing.

BHoover

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »
Thank you once again, USGA, for "growing the game" by going to Fox...which is not showing live coverage of the semifinal matches (FS1 is currently showing rodeo coverage!). Bravo, USGA.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 11:39:54 AM »
Thank you once again, USGA, for "growing the game" by going to Fox...which is not showing live coverage of the semifinal matches (FS1 is currently showing rodeo coverage!). Bravo, USGA.

The program guide shows on Fox 3-6.  Did they move the matches up due to weather concerns?

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »
Further observations:

Yesterday they played 11 from the "new" (1996) back tee and the players all had to deal with the hill.  The "problem" with a property like OH is that the bunkers on 11 fit the land.  Ie are built into existing land forms.  Normally Rees would go short on the right side and long on the left with the bunkers, however, the hill on 11 dictates otherwise.  Much tougher uphill shots into the green for both Carlson and Meyer with the green surface and most of the flag hidden from view.  This opposed to the qualifying rounds from the up tee where most were blowing it over the left hill (and bunker) to a flat lie with a clear view of the entire green complex.

On the first hole Jones could move the smaller land forms further out as fellas take the tee back right.  Both Meyer and Carlson put it in the left bunkers.

Most of OH is built using the land forms and the bunkers belong in a certain ridge.  Once you've used all the land to move the tees back you're done. 

Dan Ackerberg

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2016, 11:54:50 AM »

The program guide shows on Fox 3-6.  Did they move the matches up due to weather concerns?

I believe so, and I'm assuming they are just going to show it tape delayed :(

Brent Carlson

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2016, 12:19:13 PM »

I believe so, and I'm assuming they are just going to show it tape delayed :(

Yes, and I will probably watch, because I watch the US Am 90% for the venues. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
Why are the participants allowed to advertise golf companies on their attire? Amateur? Really?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Terry Lavin

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2016, 02:40:49 PM »
Holly Sonders just interviewed Jonah Texeira after his win. Their exchange was an almost word-for-word copy of the interview that was posted yesterday on the US Am site.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2016, 04:11:07 PM »
Wealthiest man on the property that happens to be a caddie too

Whose the caddy boys?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2016, 05:42:38 PM »
So who's carrying Texeira's bag?  Has to be an OHCC member.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brent Carlson

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2016, 06:24:35 PM »
So who's carrying Texeira's bag?  Has to be an OHCC member.

Probably.  According to the broadcast Texeira's caddy showed up late today and almost missed the tee time.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2016, 01:55:19 PM »
The first 18 of the final was pretty good.  All square.  The wind freshened and the course is drying out.  8 holes were won with pars.  The final 18 should be good.  It starts on Fox at 3ET.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »
Alright treehouse - does Oakland Hills deserve another Open and when do they get it?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2016, 05:53:25 PM »
Alright treehouse - does Oakland Hills deserve another Open and when do they get it?

Of course. As long as they renovate the course.

BHoover

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2016, 07:08:43 PM »
It's amazing how easy it is to spend other people's money.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2016, 07:14:12 PM »

This is probably true, but why is it true?

Brent Carlson

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2016, 07:24:32 PM »

OHCC could host another open as is.  Should they have to restore to Ross first?  No.  Does the inner architecture junkie in me want Tom(the new Open doctor  ;) ) or Hanse to restore this course to its rightful glory?  Yes.  Either way I hope they get another US Open.  The Midwest deserves another one.

Tom - you raise an interesting question.  As it stands most of OHCC's fame is due to its relationships with multiple architects.  There is no easy answer I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:02:11 PM by Brent Carlson »

Brent Carlson

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2016, 07:47:25 PM »

Can this beautiful design from 100 years ago relate to the modern game and modern majors?  I'll leave that to the experts and dues paying members.  It certainly is an intriguing thought.

IMG_0842-2

Terry Lavin

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »

My tongue was decidedly in-cheek, as it appears that they'll only get the nod if they accede to the USGA's desire for a renovation.  Personally, I like the idea of a Rossification of what's been redone before, but the course is probably one that could host a US Open just about any year.  It has great, difficult bones and a ton of room to run an Open.  Plus all of the great history of the club.  It's a natural site for the underserved Midwest, IMO.

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2016, 12:06:02 PM »
If you listened to Zinger and Faxon OH's could hold the open tomorrow.  The questions is what kind of course do you want to play. 

Ross's staggered bunkering pattern would allow for bunkers out of play in 1918 to be in play today.  Its also about using the existing ridges and hills for bunker placement i.e. #11 vs the Jones family moving bunkers per driving yardages and creating "fake" ridges.  I still think that much comes down to trees.  The group on the hill on 12 that Carlson got behind twice would become bunkers similar to the Ross plan posted above.  Standing on the upper tee on 9 you notice how the green side bunkers have slowly become separate and distinct entities as opposed to the green set in a sea of sand as Ross designed.  Those forward bunkers might not be in play but they create the illusion from the low back right tee of hitting to a flag set in sand rather than a distinct green with bunkers to avoid.  (sorry Phil, but Tillinghast be damned in this case)

For those who speak of spending other people's money, I agree.  However a "local" who has attended every tournament since 1961 and played the course as a guest and now as a member of the Michigan Seniors Golf Association,  Oakland Hills is "our" course that represents Michigan and midwest golf to the world.  For many seeing OH's on the tube every 8-9 years is Detroit golf.  The club asks a lot of its membership, but also the community and taxpayers when these events come.  So the community has an financial and reputaional stake in the club even if we're not dues paying members.  Certainly local clubs and the GAM provide volunteers, but also ask the Bloomfield Hills members about the use of their practice tee for the tournament.

Oakland Hills when hosting "majors" affects, in a positive way, the entire region.  We all are a part of the bragging rights of having such a facility in our larger community.
Anthony

Anthony

John Blain

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »
I have never played or even been to OHCC but from what I have seen on television it looks really quite good. So with everyone on FOX and the USGA gushing how great it is why is the USGA dragging it's feet on taking the U.S. Open back there? I am assuming it has something to do with $$$? Or maybe they are waiting to see how things play out at Erin Hills and obviously if it goes well there next year EH will be their Midwest "go to" site? Seems like OHCC is a quintessential U.S. Open parkland golf course that is eager and ready to host another U.S. Open. So what's the problem?

David_Tepper

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »

[size=78%]Two pictures from Friday's play of my favorite OH's hole, the 11th.  The 16th to the right.  Looks like plenty of trees to me![/size]
[/size]

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2016, 11:29:27 AM »
If you listened to Zinger and Faxon OH's could hold the open tomorrow.  The questions is what kind of course do you want to play. 

Ross's staggered bunkering pattern would allow for bunkers out of play in 1918 to be in play today.  Its also about using the existing ridges and hills for bunker placement i.e. #11 vs the Jones family moving bunkers per driving yardages and creating "fake" ridges.  I still think that much comes down to trees.  The group on the hill on 12 that Carlson got behind twice would become bunkers similar to the Ross plan posted above.  Standing on the upper tee on 9 you notice how the green side bunkers have slowly become separate and distinct entities as opposed to the green set in a sea of sand as Ross designed.  Those forward bunkers might not be in play but they create the illusion from the low back right tee of hitting to a flag set in sand rather than a distinct green with bunkers to avoid.  (sorry Phil, but Tillinghast be damned in this case)

For those who speak of spending other people's money, I agree.  However a "local" who has attended every tournament since 1961 and played the course as a guest and now as a member of the Michigan Seniors Golf Association,  Oakland Hills is "our" course that represents Michigan and midwest golf to the world.  For many seeing OH's on the tube every 8-9 years is Detroit golf.  The club asks a lot of its membership, but also the community and taxpayers when these events come.  So the community has an financial and reputaional stake in the club even if we're not dues paying members.  Certainly local clubs and the GAM provide volunteers, but also ask the Bloomfield Hills members about the use of their practice tee for the tournament.

Oakland Hills when hosting "majors" affects, in a positive way, the entire region.  We all are a part of the bragging rights of having such a facility in our larger community.
Anthony

You nailed it!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back