News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Ogle

Has Anyone Played Ayodhya Links in Bangkok?
« on: August 15, 2016, 11:11:07 PM »
 I'm going to be in Bangkok in October and have been trying to find out more information on Ayodhya Links. Has anyone played it? Not a whole lot of information out there on the club that I've been able to find.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:26:55 AM by Sean Ogle »

Jon Wiggett

Re: Has Anyone Played Ayodhya Links in Bangkok?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 01:58:09 AM »

I'm going to be in Bangkok in October and have been trying to find out more information on Ayodhya Links. Has anyone played it? Not a whole lot of information out there on the club that I've been able to find.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 02:59:50 AM »
http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/golf-course/ayodhya-links

Good luck on getting on.  (I think you'll find more info on Bill Shulz's thread ;))

Had two weeks in Thailand this March. Wasn't even slightly tempted to play golf.

Lovely country.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:01:31 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean Ogle

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 11:25:34 AM »
Thanks for fixing copying that Jon, not sure whats going on with the formatting.

And I appreciate it Tony!

Normally I'd never really considering golf in Thailand either, but I'll be flying straight there from Scotland, so I'll have my clubs.

I used to live there, so might be able to get back in touch with a few contacts - but will be a long shot at best.

Been interesting to see just how difficult some of the Asian clubs have been to access. Harder than I anticipated.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 11:28:50 AM »
I was rained out at Ayodhya Links, which was put a damper on my Asia trip

Sean Ogle

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 12:54:43 PM »
I was rained out at Ayodhya Links, which was put a damper on my Asia trip

Yeah, I'd be pretty mad if that happened. Did you play anywhere else out there?

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:13:53 PM »
This has you excited? 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 11:26:10 AM »
I think its top 100 rating has him excited ... must not understand what got them over the hump.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 11:45:48 AM »
I think its top 100 rating has him excited ... must not understand what got them over the hump.

Former panelist going rogué  ;)

Flat swamp land dotted with 14 shimmering lakes was one of the quotes I believe.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »
If in a showcase showdown I'd pass on a trip to our Olympic course to bid on traveling to Ayodhya Links. At the very least it looks interesting and innovative.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
If it's anything like Bay Hill, then I'm all in!

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »

How did you miss it on your recent top 10 travels? You don't play in the rain!?

Rees Milikin

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »

How did you miss it on your recent top 10 travels? You don't play in the rain!?

After playing Shanqin Bay in glorious weather, the hopes were high for Ayodhya Links, but alas, the typhoon like weather rained us out and put a damper on my Asia trip.

Sean Ogle

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 01:29:07 PM »

Do you know what got them on the list?

I'm always intrigued by the lesser known courses on Golf Magazine's top list, as I tend to hold that list to higher esteem than Digest. So I'm curious as to why it might make it on. I wasn't familiar with it until I started looking into golf in Bangkok.

Also interested because I'll be flying straight to Bangkok from Scotland, so I'll have my clubs. Never golfed in Thailand, despite living there for a year.

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 03:16:18 PM »
Looks like a true links.

Some raters must have spent some very interesting nights in Bangkok.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

David Davis

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 04:19:47 PM »
I guess most of the comments so far are based on rumor or stories from others. Like most private clubs Ayodhya Links is tough to get on unless you know a member. Even then a lot of the members of these very private clubs in Asia don't live there. My colleague is a member at Ayodhya but he lives in Hong Kong so only plays it a handful of times in a year.

I played it and Tony was kind enough to share my review. Yes it's swamp land, that's a fact. Rankings aside and whether it's a World Top 100 or not and whether it's the best course in Thailand or not is probably not relevant to if it's worth a visit if you can get on.

I think it's an excellent course, full of subtlety and solid to great architectural features. I thought it was really fun to play but most definitely aimed at solid players and shot makers. That being said there are plenty of tees to choose from and it's not a course to try and bite off more than you can chew. I happened to go to Thailand as an afterthought on my trip only to play this course, that's a mistake and if you are going to this lovely and culturally interesting country there is far more to see, also other worthwhile courses to play if you only want to play golf there. Incidentally the place is full of beautiful women as well but I guess that's for another discussion board.

It's a course I would like very much to play many times and for me one of the best parts was the green surrounds and green complexes, the shaping is excellent. What they have accomplished there is pretty astounding if you take into consideration the course was literally under water after the big storms a few years back and totally destroyed. Mr. Pitak the current owner redid the entire course.

Folklore would have us believe that he is the architect as well, maybe he is, maybe he isn't. He is most certainly a very nice and generous man and has a very interesting view on GCA, which I will add is very strongly opinionated so it's clearly a deep passion of his.

I think it would be a great course to be a member of. A very solid routing, easy to walk and no two holes alike. Strong set of par 3's with the token island green (which is quite an interesting hole there in the wind and certainly a fair challenge. A solid mix of long and short par 4's and par 5's.

That's my take in short. Definitely worth a visit if you are headed to Thailand. Not worth a visit if eye candy is the only thing you are looking for. It ticks the ranking box if that's relevant for you but hey you can't blame them for doing there utmost to market themselves anyway they can. If I owned a course, I do the same thing if it were possible. It's also important to realize how important these rankings are in Asia, at least in my humble opinion. Being able to say you are World Top 100 with Golf or Golf Digest for example is a huge membership draw for any of the clubs over there and worth the marketing spend required to make that happen however this is achievable.

Sean, I recommend you write them a nice letter, well in advance. Follow it up a few times. Explain your interest or passion for GCA and golf etc etc and see if you can get a game there. You can PM me if you want more information. Though I don't really have much more than my experience there. I can ask however.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Sean Ogle

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »
David, thank you so much for the thoughtful response. Definitely helps add a bit of perspective into what the course is about and what to expect, will shoot you a message.

I'll be there for a conference over the course of a week, so if I can play another top 100, see a unique club that most people would never give a second thought, and form some opinions of my own - no reason not to try and do what I can to get access.

The club did politely decline my request to play, but offered to let me come out and see the property. So if nothing else, I might go out to take some photos and get outside the city for a day.

Gary Sato

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 06:51:41 PM »

A former Walker Cup player and a $3 million dollar party.

MCirba

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »
Gosh I hate to comment on a course from photos only but doesn't anyone have anything more compelling than the pics shared here to date?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 10:27:51 PM »
Mike,

What is wrong with the photos? They look great to me.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 10:43:22 PM »
While I haven't played Ayodhya Links I have played Kingsbarns and would love to know why or how Kingsbarns is clearly better. They look culturally similar, equally challenging and as much a links as either may be. From pics alone Ayodhya looks better. I'm sure David Davis has played both and would enjoy his comments.

Sean Ogle

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 11:03:24 PM »
While I haven't played Ayodhya Links I have played Kingsbarns and would love to know why or how Kingsbarns is clearly better. They look culturally similar, equally challenging and as much a links as either may be. From pics alone Ayodhya looks better. I'm sure David Davis has played both and would enjoy his comments.

I've played Kingsbarns, and can share my thoughts if I end up being to play Ayodhya :) I was pretty impressed with Kingsbarns, not sure any of the photos I've seen of Ayodyha would make me think it's better. But curious to find out, or here others thoughts as well.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 11:33:35 PM »
Good luck Sean, I love seeing civilians get a shot at playing the great privates in the world. If I were you I would write Peter Thompson a letter congratulating him on his recent retirement and great career. He will understand better than anyone that seeing this course juxtaposed against the great works in Scotland would be an excellent learning experience for a gentleman of your curious ilk. In fact a rare experience that shouldn't be missed. You will find yourself in a position that while benefiting yourself has the potential to illuminate the golfing world.Given the blatant discrimination that I have seen levied against Asian golfers though out the world we should all understand why doors are closed to unknown Eurocentric travelers in Asia. Lord knows we've earned it. Just do the work and you'll get to play. It's that simple.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 03:30:07 AM »
Good luck Sean, I love seeing civilians get a shot at playing the great privates in the world. If I were you I would write Peter Thompson a letter congratulating him on his recent retirement and great career. He will understand better than anyone that seeing this course juxtaposed against the great works in Scotland would be an excellent learning experience for a gentleman of your curious ilk. In fact a rare experience that shouldn't be missed. You will find yourself in a position that while benefiting yourself has the potential to illuminate the golfing world.Given the blatant discrimination that I have seen levied against Asian golfers though out the world we should all understand why doors are closed to unknown Eurocentric travelers in Asia. Lord knows we've earned it. Just do the work and you'll get to play. It's that simple.

John I admire your spirit, so let me help you with a useful address for you on your upcoming trip to Scotland.
Good Luck.

Martin Slumber
Chief Executive
Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews

Golf Place
St Andrews

KY16 9JD
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:34:36 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Davis

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 05:07:50 AM »

JK,

You might just be having a laugh here but I'll bite and keep it short.

For starters, this is what Kingsbarns has to it's advantage:

Sand based turf with very firm conditions, even if it (sand) was trucked in (not 100% sure with out looking it up but believe so), fine grasses which make IMO for a far superior playing experience allowing usage of the ground game (Ayodhya is sticky bermuda I believe). Eye candy, on every single hole. The ability to be fun for a very wide range of playing abilities without having to lose all the balls in your bag along the way. More interesting topography given the level of earth movement. Lack of an island green and only one body of water that comes into play occasionally.

That said those above points are clearly only worth an 11 point ranking differential to Golf Magazine I guess. However, Top 100 Golf (www.top100golfcourses.co.uk) doesn't put it in the Top 100 World, nor does it put Nine Bridges or Oitavos Dunes in for that matter.

I'm sure there are people that would like Ayodhya more but I personally would happily spend my winters in Thailand playing Ayodhya and my summer in Scotland playing Kingsbarns.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back