News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Rangefinder or GPS Watch
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 04:05:59 AM »
Thanks Ed.  Thats still too pricey for my blood. 

I don't need yardage help at B&B...there are markers already on the course and the greens are generally not big or if they are its usually easy to see where the flag is.  Truth is I would rarely use the gadget, just once in a while because I am pretty good at eyeballing yardage.  I am now carrying 8 clubs so yardage becomes more important in terms where not to miss.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 04:14:26 AM »
What is the point of knowing the distance you cannot see when your not able to hit that distance? Unless your 5 handicap or better and playing a course you do not know too well then it isn't going to help. Vanity, vanity, vanity...... ::)

Jon

What an odd question.  Obviously because golfers have a hard time judging distance.  Even if one can't hith the number indicated with any consistency, it still lets the player know what he should be hitting.  On clever courses it is very easy to be a few clubs off because the yardage is obscured...which is why I don't think these devices should be allowed.

Ciao

Not odd at all Sean. Information that is not going to help is useless.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 04:32:44 AM »
What is the point of knowing the distance you cannot see when your not able to hit that distance? Unless your 5 handicap or better and playing a course you do not know too well then it isn't going to help. Vanity, vanity, vanity...... ::)

Jon

What an odd question.  Obviously because golfers have a hard time judging distance.  Even if one can't hith the number indicated with any consistency, it still lets the player know what he should be hitting.  On clever courses it is very easy to be a few clubs off because the yardage is obscured...which is why I don't think these devices should be allowed.

Ciao

Not odd at all Sean. Information that is not going to help is useless.

Jon

Jon

There is no such thing as useless info.  Some info is more applicable than other info and we are all different as to what info is more useful.  I prefer to treat the distance to the hole as baseline info, rarely the distance I want to fly the ball.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 05:40:10 AM »
Sean,

maybe not relevant is better than useless.

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 06:10:56 AM »
I'm always astonished at the arrogance of the good golfer on this topic.  I'm an 11 handicap.  My handicap has varied over the past ten years between 9 and 15.  I know that I can't, on order, hit the ball exactly 170 yards.  I also know that, on average, 170 yards is how far I hit my 5 iron.  So if I have 170 yards and there's no trouble long, I need to hit more than 6 iron.  Maybe I'll hit 5, maybe, if there's trouble short, I may hit 4 iron.  Of course it helps to know the distance.  On shorter shots (say 130 yards and less) I have much better distance control.  If I have 110 yards, it's a pitching wedge. 100 yards?  Gap wedge.  So yes, knowing the distance helps a lot, even if I don't have the precision of a tour pro.  The lack of understanding good golfers have of the way average golfers play is sometimes extraordinary.

In answer to the OP, by the way.  Range finder every time.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Chris Macios

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 09:53:59 AM »
I personally find the watch more helpful, mainly because it provides distance to front back and middle of the green (mine does at least). That really helps with the decision making for me. Like others, no way I can hit precise distances on command but knowing how much I need to carry to the front of the green is usually the best piece of info I can have on approach shots.

Though I also find it very fun to occasionally play without any device. Really helps the feel shots in my opinion.

C

Steve Wilson

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2016, 10:11:50 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies.  Well, make that thanks to most for their helpful replies.  Perhaps I should have stated up front that my interest is being able to ascertain approximate distances to bunkers, hazards, trees, etc.  As there no prize for laying up closest to a hazard, I'd like to be able to establish what my safety margin is.  Also for carries across water, waste areas, etc., I'd like to know if I have a realistic chance to make said.

For those who saw fit to characterize the woeful quality of my game, I didn't realize word was so widely spread.

A. G.  I like your comments about the accuracy of lasers.  Perhaps there's a market to be served by installing software that guesses or give a range.  "One hundred yards, give or take ten or fifteen."  They could be sold at a deep, but not too deep, discount.

Jim Sherma--I am well, probably better than I have right to expect given my age and previous lifestyle.  Remarkable that you should reference cataracts as I have had one removed on June 28th and have my second surgery scheduled for next Tuesday the 16th.  The first operation improved my right eye to 20/25 almost immediately.  If my second surgery goes as well, I may be without the need for glasses for the first time in twenty five years.  It will be interesting to see if the declining quality of my depth perception is due to aging or blurred vision. 

Sean A--"I am now carrying 8 clubs so yardage becomes more important in terms of where not to miss."  This is what I was inarticulately stumbling towards above when talking about layups, etc.  I played Reay earlier this year and in recounting the round I realized I had used four sticks for 85 of my 87 shots.  Upon my return to Golspie I went out and played 18 with five sticks.  Like playing a round with a single club, it is educational to see how few shots difference it makes in one's score.

Lynn, I get your point.  But particularly when playing links courses, I don't think I'll be using the rangefinder when I'm trying to hit shots that chase.  Those will always be, I think, instinctive and intuitive.   You have to imagine the career of the ball after it goes to ground.

And if I ever start a second career as a caddy, I'll be sure to use a watch.

BTW, it looks as though I'm going to go with the rangefinder.  The comments about battery life in watches, plus the preprogrammed nature of the watch as opposed to the selective use I can make of the rangefinder were the deciding factors.  Also, I'll be able to say to myself, damn, I thought I could hit my six iron that far.

Thanks, for the most part. ;D  (Apologies to Dan Kelly).  And now, would it be too tacky to start a GoFundMe for Steve's Rangefinder? [size=78%]   [/size]

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Will Spivey

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2016, 10:43:37 AM »
Late to the discussion here, but I just went through this decision process. I bought the laser (as someone else said, "it's a laser!)

My current index is 9.9, down from a 10.6 in the last month, and the laser has made a big difference.  I play most of my golf at my home club, and I'm very good at eyeballing yardage (we guess as a game -- usually I'm really close).  However, when I guess wrong, which is always a few times a round, it can cost me one or two strokes.  I also have a better understanding of how far I hit my irons (oddly, a couple yards longer than I thought).  I find that knowing the yardage, rather than thinking I know gives me confidence.  I do not use the slope function (too cheap to pay for it).  I bought a Bushnell V3 online.  Love it.

I play fast (Slash & Burn and I walked 18 in 2 hours 15 minutes a couple of weeks ago) and the laser doesn't slow me down at all.  In fact, it helps me decide on a club faster than the "in my head" calculating I was doing before.  Maybe that's dumbing the game down, but I'm having more fun with the laser.  After all, isn't that the point?

Andrew Buck

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »

I have come to the conclusion that the benefit of exact yardage isn't worth the time and trouble.  It detracts, not adds to the experience.

I understand your point about satisfaction, but the "time and trouble" to take a very small rangefinder out of the bag, and shoot the yardage is about 3 seconds, far less in my experience than searching for a yardage marker or eyeballing the yardage in most cases.  Obviously circumstances dictate the relative "need" to be precise on all shots.  I'd guess I use on roughly 3/4 of my iron shots (and the very occasional drive on a new course if I'm looking for distance to trouble).  The 15 times I use it during the course of play might add 1 minute.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »
I'm always astonished at the arrogance of the good golfer on this topic.  I'm an 11 handicap.  My handicap has varied over the past ten years between 9 and 15.  I know that I can't, on order, hit the ball exactly 170 yards.  I also know that, on average, 170 yards is how far I hit my 5 iron.  So if I have 170 yards and there's no trouble long, I need to hit more than 6 iron.  Maybe I'll hit 5, maybe, if there's trouble short, I may hit 4 iron.  Of course it helps to know the distance.  On shorter shots (say 130 yards and less) I have much better distance control.  If I have 110 yards, it's a pitching wedge. 100 yards?  Gap wedge.  So yes, knowing the distance helps a lot, even if I don't have the precision of a tour pro.  The lack of understanding good golfers have of the way average golfers play is sometimes extraordinary.

In answer to the OP, by the way.  Range finder every time.

Mark,

I suspect I am one of the arrogant low handicappers you are referring to and if I have caused offence I apologise. My point is that in my pomp I could control the distance I hit a 5 iron to within 2 yards where as now it is more like 15 to 20 yards so I only need a ball park figure plus/minus 10 yards. That is a distance tolerance that can be eyeballed.

Putting on my golf coaching head, in your case having a rough distance does help you and having played with you I would concur with your estimate for your average 5 iron distance. However, I would still suggest that the precision in distance you need is possible with the eye. I would also say in my experience you are an exception and though most mid/higher handicappers do not know how far they hit the ball with a given club though most think they do. Lastly, though I suspect you are not slowed down by taking a reading due to the briskness of your golf course manner for most it is yet another anchor on the speed of play and in an age where many think 4 hours is acceptable for a 4ball this can only be a negative thing.

Once again, sorry for any offence.

Jon

MCirba

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2016, 05:58:52 PM »
What Lynn said.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

BHoover

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2016, 06:11:34 PM »
The fact that certain people hate rangefinders and gps devices makes me even happier to carry one.

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2016, 06:45:43 PM »
The fact that certain people hate rangefinders and gps devices makes me even happier to carry one.

You often deliver these sort of grinding comments about being happy when others are not.  Are you trying to be humorous?  if so, I am not convinced you are pulling it off. 

Ciao 

BHoover

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »

You often deliver these sort of grinding comments about being happy when others are not.  Are you trying to be humorous?  if so, I am not convinced you are pulling it off. 

Ciao

I'm not really trying. I carry a laser. It's quick to use, accurate, and lightweight. I find it convenient, user-friendly, and not at all inconsistent with the spirit of the game.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:49:51 PM by Brian Hoover »

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 06:48:59 PM »

Ciao

I'm not really trying.

Okay then, you got me.

Ciao

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 08:02:33 PM »
What's the consensus here?   Rather than eyeball it, increasingly uncertain, or rely on the kindness of strangers I'm going to advance technologically.  Opinions please.

Steve,

Here goes :) It doesn't matter. You are NOT that good!!??

BUT, I know you from two or three GCA outings and I am genuinely impressed that you care. This is why golf is great. Last summer (2015), I shot the lowest score of my life in a Jim "Mr 58" Furyk kind of day. That round has been surrounded by +90 rounds, but for one freakin day on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, I nailed it. Good luck with your final decision.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Bill Seitz

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2016, 08:42:35 PM »
The benefit of range finder is getting yardages that a watch may not give you.  A lot of times I don't need specific yardage to a pin, but I need to know if I have enough club to carry a bunker or a false front.  The downside of a range finder is that you need to be able to see those things.  We have a lot of blind shots at my home course, but we also have a lot of shots where you just need to get past a certain point to make a big difference.  Also, I don't like to wear a watch when I play, but that's all personal preference.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2016, 11:19:18 PM »
Rangefinder...GOS watch is like having the outside putter attachment on the golf bag ;)

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2016, 01:38:57 AM »
I'm in the camp of those wishing that the damn things had never been invented, and certainly should never have been permitted for competitive play.

Eyeballing a distance to within 10% is easy, and that's good enough for most golfers. Eyeballing to within 5% is a skill that has to be developed, but is a skill that surely should be part and parcel of being a good golfer.

The obsession with knowing exact distances has reduced approach play to target golf.  The cunning of golf course architects in visual deception has been rendered obsolete as no-one now looks at the view of the green complex facing them - they are too busy looking at their GPS!

I am enough of a realist however, to understand that the genie is out of the bottle and isn't going to be put back any time soon. I have the Golfshot app on my phone and generally set it up for any new course I'm visiting. I will normally refer to it on the first couple of holes and then either  forget about it or be too lazy to click it onto the next hole and just eyeball my way round, I am much the same with yardage books bought at the pros shop!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:10:35 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2016, 01:39:50 AM »
Jon,

Absolutely no offence caused or taken.  I know I could eyeball distances.  Indeed, I do, I will always make a mental estimate before taking a reading and then check how good that estimate is.  90% of the time it's within 15 yards.  But the laser avoids a mistake 10% of the time (saving a shot or two a round) and the certainty of knowing the distance gives me a confidence which I suspect makes it more likely I'll hit a decent shot.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2016, 09:12:42 AM »
I'm in the GPS camp. I'm not good enough to play to a specific yardage. As long as I have a pin sheet, or the flags are color coordinated, middle and front/back is good enough for me. I can work out the club I want to play based on the number and course factors (elevation, wind, etc.). Also like knowing hazard numbers as well, when needed.

Have used stand-alone GPS units as well as my phone. Given the big crack I gave my phone last year, I probably shouldn't be using it as a golf GPS. Battery also suspect. Looking closely at a Garmin X40 watch.

Full disclosure. I flip-flopped on this one. Ended up getting a rangefinder. Using my buddy's this weekend on an unfamiliar course saved me at least a good shot or two knowing exact distances. I stand corrected.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2016, 06:10:17 PM »

Setting aside a preference for less technology and the inconvenience of weight, the laser is a much better tool.

Even if you can not hit an exact yardage, it is simple statistics that knowing the real yardage down to 1 yard will, over an extended period of time, help your game.

This is true not only because you will be know the actual distance to the hole and, on average leave it closer to the hole, but also because it allows you to learn how far you actually hit it, on average.

To those stating that a laser is useless if you cant hit a yardage, I say that the best way to continue not hitting a yardage is not to know the distance of your shots on the course (very different to a range).

Steve Lang

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
 8)  When playing out somewhere new, a yardage book is my favorite aid, and let me look at the course a bit please, decipher the synoptics and play..  that's the most fun; but there's golf and there's tournament golf, so for the latter I use a GolfBuddy Watch, Ms. Sheila uses a rangefinder and occasionally her SkyCaddie for competitions.

She bought me the watch after an interclub event with her winnings and a discount happening, she asked the old guys hanging in the pro-shop which one they liked... GolfBuddy won because of the big numbers, front back middle.

Best info i use is calibrating how far I hit in beginning of round and how far not to hit it... When things are going along well, I forget that i even have the watch on.

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sean_A

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2016, 11:29:48 PM »
Popped in the shop and had a look (a very quick look) at tons of gadgets...still too expensive considering they will continue to get better and cheaper.  I guess its a shot or two a round lost for me.

Ciao

BHoover

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »
After much soul searching, meditation, prayer, etc., I have come to a conclusion about the use of distance devices. In the spirit of the game, I have decided to toss my laser rangefinder. I now walk off the yardage for every shot I play on the course. It's wonderful. Of course, my pace of play for a round of golf is now at least 6.5 hours, but I feel that is but a small price to pay for honoring the spirit of the game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back