News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Re: The most exciting course to open in California in the 25-50 years is?
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 06:58:47 PM »
The renovations at LACC North, The Cal Club, and Monterey Peninsula....by far 8)

Too bad you said 50 years and not 51 or we could have included Spyglass! Excitement-wise, I would assume PGA West or Spanish Bay when they opened. But I like Steve's answer.

I think it has to be Spyglass as a new course.  They didn't have the PR to promote it like today but given the location and architect it must have been significant.

I don't discount what some of these major renovations have done but it seems like the road was paved by Valley Club, Pasatiempo and Meadow Club.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 07:26:20 PM »
The renovations at LACC North, The Cal Club, and Monterey Peninsula....by far 8)

Too bad you said 50 years and not 51 or we could have included Spyglass! Excitement-wise, I would assume PGA West or Spanish Bay when they opened. But I like Steve's answer.

I think it has to be Spyglass as a new course.  They didn't have the PR to promote it like today but given the location and architect it must have been significant.

I don't discount what some of these major renovations have done but it seems like the road was paved by Valley Club, Pasatiempo and Meadow Club.

Joel, I've played Spyglass only a few times. The first five holes are all world and the rest of the course difficult and interesting. It is not, however, endearing and I do not find it exciting. It is more like a long slog. I have no desire to play it again. I remember a quote from Nicklaus, "Pebbel Beach makes me want to play golf. Spyglass makes we want to go fishing."
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 12:20:59 AM »
Saddest California course closing......Stevinson Ranch.

+1

Scott Weersing

I can think of more courses that flopped than became "exciting".

Flops are courses that were anticipated but now are only worth one play. For example, the Classic Course in Indio.

I would say most exciting would be Rustic Canyon, and..... Gee this is hard especially when you compare California to Oregon.

So why no exciting courses in California? I would guess no Doak, Strantz or cutting edge designers.

Matt_Cohn

So why no exciting courses in California? I would guess no Doak, Strantz or cutting edge designers.

Well, we do have a Strantz — the Shore course at Monterey Peninsula Country Club. And if you discount the accessibility factor, it might well have been the most exciting course to open in California in the last 50 years.

Tom_Doak

I've built two courses in California:  Stone Eagle and Aetna Springs.  And I'm very happy with both of them, even though neither is "exciting" in the way Pebble Beach or SFGC or Riviera is.

FWIW, the reason there aren't more exciting modern courses in California has a lot to do with how difficult it is to get permits, if a site is attractive.  Our failed project in Napa County and Coore & Crenshaw's rejected project in Santa Barbara would be two examples of that; I'm sure there are many others.

P.S. to Joel Stewart:  Spyglass "didn't have the PR to promote it like today"??  They played the Crosby on it from the first year it was open -- back when the Crosby was still a big deal!  I've never built a course with a PR opportunity like that.

Tommy Williamsen

I've built two courses in California:  Stone Eagle and Aetna Springs.  And I'm very happy with both of them, even though neither is "exciting" in the way Pebble Beach or SFGC or Riviera is.

Tom, I agree that Stone Eagle isn't Pebble etc. it was, however, exciting. Between the shot shots into and around the greens and the setting, made for a great day. It is one of my favorite new courses in California.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back