News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Thaw Out 2017 - Sea Pines Resort
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2016, 02:33:31 PM »
Soooo...any more thoughts on the extent of the weekend and whether or not there will be golf days beyond the Fri-Sun timeframe?  Will there be something added on either Thursday or Monday?

Good question, Evan.

Our golf schedule, thus far, is as follows:

Friday, January 27
Harbour Town - 5 tee times starting @12:18

Saturday, January 28
Morning Round: Heron Point - 5 tee times starting @7:57
Afternoon round: Atlantic Dunes - 5 tee times starting @12:36   
Note: Heron Point and Atlantic Dunes play out of the same clubhouse

As for Sunday, I have heard from one of the participants that a round at May River may be a possibility. Stay tuned.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
Eric

Sorry to hear from Anthony about Hilton Head, but happy to hear that you believe that the Thaw should go on.  All that time in the UK recently must have stiffened your already stiff upper lip, at least vis a vis golf.  I know that the team sheets are full, but if there is any space available I am available, having just closed on a Hurricane Proof (or so they say) condo on Amelia Island.  I'll be here up to mid-Dec and then back from mid-Jan to Apr/May, so a thaw-out after a month in the Scottish winter would be very much welcomed.

All the best

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »
Eric,

Thanks for the run-down!  At some point there was talk of a possible round over on Daufuskie Island (Haig Point I think it is called)?  Might that be part of the itinerary as well?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Eric Smith

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2016, 09:57:48 AM »
Eric

Sorry to hear from Anthony about Hilton Head, but happy to hear that you believe that the Thaw should go on.  All that time in the UK recently must have stiffened your already stiff upper lip, at least vis a vis golf.  I know that the team sheets are full, but if there is any space available I am available, having just closed on a Hurricane Proof (or so they say) condo on Amelia Island.  I'll be here up to mid-Dec and then back from mid-Jan to Apr/May, so a thaw-out after a month in the Scottish winter would be very much welcomed.

All the best

Rich

Rich,

Congrats on the new place! It would be great to have you join us and I'm happy to ask Sea Pines to add another tee time and another villa to our group. There are a couple others who have told me they would like to thaw out as well but tell me they can't commit right now. Let me circle back to them and see if they are willing to (meaning pay the $200 deposit to Sea Pines) and if so I'll make the arrangements. Sound good?

Eric,

Thanks for the run-down!  At some point there was talk of a possible round over on Daufuskie Island (Haig Point I think it is called)?  Might that be part of the itinerary as well?

Evan,

I'm hoping the Haig Point plan becomes the May River plan. ;)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2016, 09:26:50 AM »
Aha!  Now it's all making sense...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2016, 11:47:26 AM »
Eric

All the best

Rich

I just received a press release from Sea Pines concerning their three courses. Things should be fine for the Thaw Out:

Harbour Town Golf Links, Heron Point by Pete Dye and new Atlantic Dunes by Davis Love III sustained minimal damage from Hurricane Matthew and are expected to be back to championship caliber when they begin welcoming golfers next month (November).

“Our golf maintenance crew is doing an amazing job getting our three layouts back to pristine shape,” says Cary Corbitt, Vice President of Sports and Operations. “Our goal is to have golfers teeing it up and enjoying the golf courses next month.”
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2016, 05:47:43 AM »

Rich,

Congrats on the new place! It would be great to have you join us and I'm happy to ask Sea Pines to add another tee time and another villa to our group. There are a couple others who have told me they would like to thaw out as well but tell me they can't commit right now. Let me circle back to them and see if they are willing to (meaning pay the $200 deposit to Sea Pines) and if so I'll make the arrangements. Sound good?

Eric,

Evan,

I'm hoping the Haig Point plan becomes the May River plan. ;)

Thanks Eric

Let me know when you need the two benjis.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

ward peyronnin

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »
I am choosing this forum because many of my good golf buddies are connected to this event so its an efficient way to explain a revolting development as my Pops used to call it.

I have spent the last two weeks in Savannah area determining that a severe and very debilitating sciatica like lower back etc pain is due to advanced arthritic stenosese of my spine. We , my medical team, have slowly developed a multi-level treatment recovery plan.

Bottom line is I have not played since mid Sept and won't indefinitely. My goal is to return for the Thaw Out but not guaranteed. In fact I am taking a six month medical leave from my club .

This is not a poor pitiful Ward notice. I have fixed slices, yanks, yips, shanks through focused effort and I will approach this the same way. But if I seem a bit absent from the flow that may be why and I will invite a poke every once in while to rope me back in.

Go out and enjoy this great fall weather while you can! I insist!

Wardo
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Eric Smith

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2016, 11:51:48 PM »
Isn't it a bit early to be asking for strokes, sir?! :-* I love ya man and I am hopeful you'll soon be back on your feet cooking your oddball Peruvian beef tongue recipes while entertaining your many friends who'll be visiting the lowcountry. See you soon!

Chris Shaida

« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »
Well Wardo,

Here's trusting that the "multi-level treatment recovery plan' that has been devised by your crack medicos includes that time-honored evening exercise called the 'one-handed slow curl' which consists of an intricate set of athletic motions beginning with a subtle reach of the lower arm parallel to the ground and ends as the forearm points skyward with a deft turn of the wrist, just-so.

Repeat numerously.

Cheers

ps however foggy one might get from the war with one's body always hold onto the secret recipe - 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 + splash.  Works like a charm, always and everywhere...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:51:28 PM by Chris Shaida »

Eric Smith

Re: Thaw Out 2017
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2016, 04:23:32 PM »

Gentlemen - Your December 2016 Thaw Out Update ..

We're planning to celebrate the life of Jamey Bryan on Friday, January 27 with Bloody Marys and Butterfingers in the clubhouse before our round at Harbour Town ... followed by a lively dinner at Vine Restaurant ... so have those anecdotes ready. :)

And ... we've been invited to play on the Sunday at Old Tabby Links on Spring Island! Many thanks to the club, the golf committee members, as well as Brandon Johnson of Arnold Palmer Design, for helping to arrange our visit. Hopefully Brandon will be joining us for our round at Old Tabby Links. There is an additional fee for Sunday's game. I will send you all an email with the particulars.

Here is the list of those I do have confirmed to date:

• M. Pritchett
  • B. McBride
  • C. Lewis
  • H. Huffines
  • W. Peyronnin
  • M. Whitaker
  • B. Wellmon
  • B. Hoyle
  • E. Fleisher
  • C. Shaida
  • B. Finn
  • J. Kavanaugh
  • B. Graham
  • M. Trenham
  • L. Young
  • J. Mandel
  • M. Christensen
  • J. Hamilton
  • M. Denny
  • R. Goodale
  • P. Jones
  • L. Duran
  • D. Braunsdorf
  • E. Smith
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:00:42 AM by Eric Smith »

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2016, 07:07:23 PM »
Great news / update Eric...can't wait!

It had been pretty quiet on GCA recently regarding the Thaw Out.  Was wondering if any folks were thinking of a pre- or post- event round on either Thursday or Monday.  Airfare is pretty favorable right now and I'm thinking of booking something but wondering if anyone else has the same thoughts as I do.  No need to have exact plans right now, but it would affect plane tickets being booked.

Please let me know what you think...I can either fly into Charleston (best option currently) or Savannah and would prefer the Friday to Monday golf option over the Thursday to Sunday option.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:10:42 PM by Evan Fleisher »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2016, 09:17:01 PM »
I am choosing this forum because many of my good golf buddies are connected to this event so its an efficient way to explain a revolting development as my Pops used to call it.

I have spent the last two weeks in Savannah area determining that a severe and very debilitating sciatica like lower back etc pain is due to advanced arthritic stenosese of my spine. We , my medical team, have slowly developed a multi-level treatment recovery plan.

Bottom line is I have not played since mid Sept and won't indefinitely. My goal is to return for the Thaw Out but not guaranteed. In fact I am taking a six month medical leave from my club .

This is not a poor pitiful Ward notice. I have fixed slices, yanks, yips, shanks through focused effort and I will approach this the same way. But if I seem a bit absent from the flow that may be why and I will invite a poke every once in while to rope me back in.

Go out and enjoy this great fall weather while you can! I insist!

Wardo

Wardo, my game has been so fucking despicable lately that I rode a round at the Dixie Cup and another at the Valley Club last month.  I will be at the Thaw Out even if laying out.  Hope to see you there for the craic if not the golf!

Jay Mickle

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2016, 07:36:57 AM »
Is there room for one more at this point?
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2016, 08:06:10 AM »
Evan,

I'm sure there are folks who'd like to play Monday. Wish I could but I'm driving back Sunday after golf.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:33:50 PM by Eric Smith »

Paul Jones

« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2016, 10:04:21 AM »
Eric,

Do you still have room? I am trying to decide b/w Thaw Out and Dixie Cup.  Old Tabby Links is one of my favorites !!!
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Jones

« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2016, 01:58:29 PM »
Just called and paid my deposit !!!  Looking forward to Thaw Out 2017 !!!
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »
Just called and paid my deposit !!!  Looking forward to Thaw Out 2017 !!!

Excellent!! Full house!

Eric Smith

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
Gentlemen,

We’re two weeks from Hilton Head and with snow and ice on the ground for many of us there is no better time than now to begin dreaming of thawing out at the Thaw Out.

When putting this update together I was looking through the emails from a few months back and saw Jamey Bryan’s name in the distribution list and in the Villa assignments. I’ll be honest - it was a strange feeling. This will be a first for me - having a participant pass before an event. I know those of you who knew Jamey from Golf Club Atlas and the many gatherings over the years - as well as those of you who didn’t know him - will join me in paying tribute to our friend.

The folks at Sea Pines have helped to arrange a toast* at the Harbour Town clubhouse before our round on Friday. Please be sure to arrive no later than 11:45am and let’s plan to toast Jamey at high noon on the patio of the clubhouse bar. If you have a gambler / straw hat like Jamey always liked to wear, I encourage you to bring it to Harbour Town on that Friday for a group photo.

*Bloody Marys and Butterfingers will be served.  :)

Friday, January 27th
Harbour Town Tee Times:

12:18                               
Mark Pritchett                   
Jason Mandel                   
Cory Lewis                       
Brian Finn                         

12:27                               
Mike Christensen               
Mike Whitaker                   
Bruce Wellmon                   
Hart Huffines                     

12:36                               
Evan Fleisher                   
Chris Shaida                     
Rich Goodale                   
John Kavanaugh   

12:45
Bill McBride
Ward Peyronnin
Lyn Young
Lou Duran

12:54
Paul Jones
Bill Hoyle
Mike Trenham
Doug Braunsdorf

1:02
Brian Graham
Mike Denny
Jon Hamilton
Eric Smith           

Friday night 7:30PM – Dinner at VINE

We’ll organize the next day’s tee times at dinner Friday. Both courses on Saturday play out of the same Plantation Club clubhouse so should be an easy turnaround with a quick lunch in between. 
See you soon.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2017, 03:51:15 PM »
What a crew this is!  I need my kids to be older to attend these types of things again...

A good tourney manager puts Cory in the first group, well done.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

hhuffines

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2017, 12:47:42 AM »
Wow, shout out to Mike and his Clemson Tigers!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »
Wow, shout out to Mike and his Clemson Tigers!
Thanks, Hart! I'll bring you a Tiger Paw hat.  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
bump

What is the status of playing golf on Sunday anyone need a fourth?

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Eric Smith

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2017, 02:16:55 PM »
bump

What is the status of playing golf on Sunday anyone need a fourth?

Mike,

Check your email! We are playing at Old Tabby Links with the course architect, Brandon Johnson, of Arnold Palmer Design. First tee time is around 10am.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
This is the PGA of GCA events:  Not the most prestigious, but clearly the strongest field. 

Here's to Jamie.   

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back