News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Culver Academies Golf Course profile updated
« on: July 28, 2016, 06:58:25 PM »
How do you judge a course?

That’s the pleasant quandary that presented itself when I recently viewed Tom Doak’s reversible course and the nine-holer at Culver Academies. Both places are so wildly different from the norm. Are special parameters required?

No, a course is a course is a course. I did what I always do: mull over the appeal of each shot within each hole, how the holes relate to each other, and cumulatively make some sort of determination. Then, step back and ask general questions:

In terms of Culver (where folks like Roger Penske and George Steinbrenner have gone), are there great holes? Yes.

Are there great hazards? Yes (Weed says Ray Charles could have restored this massive bunkers!).

This tall gentleman is dwarfed by the cavernous greenside bunker at the 4th.

Are the greens great? Yes (Weed calls them perhaps his favorite in the world).

Enduring strategy? Yes.

Great environment? Yes. Great land? Yes, hard to believe this is in the corn belt!

Wind? Affirmative, as it sits beside the 2nd largest lake in the state.

Are there cart paths? No. Outside disturbances? No.

A passionate Green Keeper? Yes!

It doesn't have eighteen holes but the nine that were built occupy the most compelling property so that each and every shot holds fascination. There are so few courses in the world where that is true and the real secret is that being 9 holes ended up being a huge plus in this case. 

Set in the heartlands, the Culver campus dazzles. Now, so too does the course.

Personally, I rank Royal Worlington & Newmarket  40 – 50 in the world of the courses I have seen. I am not sure if Culver is better but it doesn't matter: I don't think of either as a nine-holer. In fact, spiritually, Culver most reminds me of Sand Hills. Both were built for pure reasons and both places seem intensely American in the very best sense. A certain spirit awakens at both as the playing experience is so authentic. I hope my friends from Olympia Fields will chime in on this thread as they also were blown away after visiting Culver last fall. It is the kind of golf we all love: fierce hazards that rewards bold golf from a thinking player.

Of course, such fawning was NOT accorded 10 years ago when Ted Sturges and I walked around the course as there were no bunkers and the greens stimped at ~6. Fortunately, the school gradually became aware of what a cultural asset its course was and Culver’s captains of industry got behind a strict restoration. The ensuing accomplishments of Bobby Weed and Chris Monti with help from Tom Mead followed by Green Keeper Mike Vessely taking the reins yield results today comparable with the other great recent transformations of Moraine, the Cal Club, Old Town, LACC, Sleepy Hollow, Pinehurst No 2, Roaring Gap, Orchard Lake, etc.

Since this effort is tied to a high school, it takes on extra special meaning. Great to see several stalwart alumni stand behind and fund the restoration. After all, a learning institution is where you go to learn (!)  and that is what will happen now: teenagers will be introduced to and fall in love with our sport as they grapple with issues of honesty, integrity, etc. over a playing season. For some, their existing passion will be expanded and cemented.

What a great place and what a great story with everyone (alumni, present students, future students, and visitors) winning.

Here is the link:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/culver-academies/

Best,
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:24:33 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Mike Sweeney

Re: Culver Academies Golf Course profile updated
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »
Mike to Older Son: "We can play golf on the ride home."

Older Son: "Can we play 9 holes?"

If you want to grow/maintain the game, the 9 hole Culver with a good range seems like a nice alternative.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Rees Milikin

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 11:21:48 PM »
Excellent work on yet another under appreciated gem. 

The amount of L&M courses that are sitting around waiting for the Lawsonia and Culver treatment is pretty impressive.  If only money were no object...

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 11:06:20 AM »
Oh man...what a good profile. I love the before and after shots. It is so cool to see these old L&M designs restored. Not to mention they seem so "easy" to restore assuming the landforms are still in place. The tee shot at the 9th looks just like the tee shot at the 2nd at Lawsonia.
H.P.S.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 02:31:59 PM »
Ran,

I remember well taking you to this Indiana hidden gem in 2006.  We were both blown away by the features and bones that were evident during that visit.  I wrote about the course for the Indiana Golf Magazine that year (A great Indiana golf hole column), and you wrote up the original course review for gca.com.  It is such a great story to see what has transpired since.  Bravo to the school's leadership group for having the wisdom to recognize what they possessed, and to restore it to what the course clearly deserves.  I am a Crooked Stick member and if the course looks as good as the pictures you have posted, it may well be the best golf course in Indiana.  I can't wait to get back up to see it in person.

Ted

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:19:06 PM »
Great updated profile.  I really want to get up there, but have been unable to make a trip work.  It's about four hours away and I'm just never in that area.  Your pics - redan especially - tell me I need to get there this year.

Nine holes of quality like this or places like Mildenhall show how utterly unimportant it is to have a full 18.  If the 9 holes you have are thrilling, what more do you need?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 11:16:49 AM »
Nine holes of quality like this or places like Mildenhall show how utterly unimportant it is to have a full 18.

And why talk of 12-hole courses is utterly pointless ...

JESII

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
Tom - why would 12 holes be pointless?  If the space, terrain, budget and purpose all support 12 holes, why stop at 9?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 06:24:03 PM »
Notre Dame's football team has conducted fall training at Culver for the last couple of years and this year in a week or so. Wonder if the fees paid to Culver help out the course?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ross Harmon

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 06:14:35 PM »
I've had the pleasure of playing the course twice in the past week... it's an absolute gem and a wonderful experience! The routing is excellent and the green sites are of exceptional architectural quality and are in perfect condition!

Congrats to Culver Academies, Bobby Weed, Mark Arrimour and the Total Turf team on a fantastic restoration! And to Mike Vessely for keeping it in awesome shape and to Ran for promoting this fine course!

Already looking forward to my next round there!

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 08:28:27 AM »
More proof that L&M are the best GCA's most golfers have never heard of.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Thurman

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »
Nine holes of quality like this or places like Mildenhall show how utterly unimportant it is to have a full 18.

What's the difference in pointlessness between a 12-hole course and the 13-hole course you're building at Ballyneal?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Phil McDade

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 08:58:14 PM »

What's the difference in pointlessness between a 12-hole course and the 13-hole course you're building at Ballyneal?

I'm going to take a wild guess......1 hole?

(One of my favorite Scottish courses is 12 holes...)

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 01:57:53 PM »
its absolutely terrific!  what greens!   what topography!

congrats to all involved in the restoration
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 08:44:37 AM »
THANK YOU, Ran.   Never heard of it, which at this point  seemed pretty darned near impossible.   Looks fantastic.   Can't wait to play it.   

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 05:15:37 AM »
A press release from this morning:

http://www.thegolfwire.com/story/326364

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back