News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Cedar Rapids Country Club - Wow!
« on: July 27, 2016, 10:18:08 AM »
Last week I played Cedar Rapids Country Club in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They recently underwent a roughly 3 year in-house renovation under a plan by Ron Prichard.

I thought the resulting course was fantastic.

The property it sits on is on one half undulating hills, and the other half sits in a flood plain with a creek running through it. The clubhouse sits on top of a hill which is used a number of times, either playing down it on #1's and #10 and back up on #9 and #18.

Supposedly the club took out over 2,000 trees, removing softwoods, evergreens, and low canopy trees. Many sharp ridges, previously completely covered with tree growth were clear cut and remained exposed.

In addition, mowing lines were hugely adjusted and putting surfaces were dramatically expanded all the way out to green pads.

The course itself has wonderful variety. The course's three par-3 holes are all very good and unique. The 5th is a redan style hole. The 8th is a drop shot. And the 12th is a long half-par that plays 240 from the member tees and 290 yards from the back tees, which a dramatic false front to the green.

Some of the holes, such as the 10th, are terrific. Sharply downhill, it plays much shorter than the yardage. If the player can hit a specific speed slot on the right side of the fairway, the hole is drivable. If a player hits it too far left, the ball will either find a bunker or if hit especially long find a creek. Balls ending up short of the green are left with a testy little downhill pitch shot.

The 13th's greensite is very neat. It is a push up green, but on the left and right of the green is short fairway grass essentially where you would find a bunker, yet, the bunker "face" is still there. It makes for perhaps a tougher up and down than if there was sand in the same place.

The 14th is another neat short par-4. The hole is called "Burial Mound" and the green sits on a essentially such. The hole is a driver-wedge, but the resulting ~100-yard shot plays uphill sharply to the blind green that once you climb you find slopes away from the player.

Here are just a few pictures that I managed to take on my phone:

The par-3 5th:

Looking back on the par-4 10th:

Looking head on the greensite at the 13th:

Looking back on the 13th:

A look at the potential up and down shot from right of the 13th green:

The roughly 100 yard approach to the par-4 14th "Burial Mound":

The approach to the 16th:

The approach to the par-5 17th:

The club has posted an aerial tour of the course online if you're interested in seeing more: https://vimeo.com/149265463

I thought the golf course was very strong, and very much worth the effort to see if you're in the area.
H.P.S.

Tim Pitner

Re: Cedar Rapids Country Club - Wow!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
The renovation looks great.  I grew up in Cedar Rapids and the course in these photos looks miles better than I remember.  I recall CRCC as being on very interesting land but overtreed and a little goofy in spots.  Ross had some involvement in the course, but it might have been very minimal.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 11:00:10 AM »
Nice report, Pat -- I've long heard good things about Cedar Rapids but have never seen any pictures or detailed descriptions of the course. Looks solid.

(P.S. Drove by Town and Country not long ago during a trip to the Twin Cities; alas, not long enough for a visit. But the son has set up permanent residency nearby.... ;) )

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »
The renovation looks great.  I grew up in Cedar Rapids and the course in these photos looks miles better than I remember.  I recall CRCC as being on very interesting land but overtreed and a little goofy in spots.  Ross had some involvement in the course, but it might have been very minimal.

I was told that the club started with a 9-hole Bendelow design. Then Ross came in ~8 or 9 years later and routed an 18 hole course, but with a few of Bendelow's green still remaining. One of the original greens was the "Burial Mound" green, which apparently played from the opposite direction originally, hence why the green now slopes away from the direction of play.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »
Nice report, Pat -- I've long heard good things about Cedar Rapids but have never seen any pictures or detailed descriptions of the course. Looks solid.

(P.S. Drove by Town and Country not long ago during a trip to the Twin Cities; alas, not long enough for a visit. But the son has set up permanent residency nearby.... ;) )

Nice, Phil. Is your son living in St. Paul?

Let me know the next time you're around. We will tee it up or if nothing else I can at least give you a quick cart tour if you want to see the course from a different vantage point that Cretin Ave!
H.P.S.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »

I was told that the club started with a 9-hole Bendelow design. Then Ross came in ~8 or 9 years later and routed an 18 hole course, but with a few of Bendelow's green still remaining. One of the original greens was the "Burial Mound" green, which apparently played from the opposite direction originally, hence why the green now slopes away from the direction of play.

Bendelow is noted as working at Cedar Rapids in 1904, but there was a course there prior to that date.  Its possible the Bendelow course was a new design on new land.

The April 1915 American Golfer notes Ross laid out a new 18 hole course.  Be curious to see what holes/green sites other than the Burial Mound were retained by Ross.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 02:03:04 PM »

Bendelow is noted as working at Cedar Rapids in 1904, but there was a course there prior to that date.  Its possible the Bendelow course was a new design on new land.

The April 1915 American Golfer notes Ross laid out a new 18 hole course.  Be curious to see what holes/green sites other than the Burial Mound were retained by Ross.

Sven

Hi Sven,

They have roughly 4 historical routings hung in their men's locker room. They were pointed out to me but I can't remember exactly which ones they were other than the one noted, sorry.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:57:25 AM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »
Pat,
     I first visited CRCC 2 yrs ago when they initiated the restoration work and watched as they started their bunker and green complex work. This past May I returned. The transformation is amazing. The massive tree removal is a testament to what can be uncovered on Golden Age courses. I reported my findings on GCA a few months ago and thought then CRCC would make an appearance on the Golfweek top 100 Classic List. I can only think of 5 courses in Chicago that would be in it's league- it's that good.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 11:13:11 AM »
Pat,
     I first visited CRCC 2 yrs ago when they initiated the restoration work and watched as they started their bunker and green complex work. This past May I returned. The transformation is amazing. The massive tree removal is a testament to what can be uncovered on Golden Age courses. I reported my findings on GCA a few months ago and thought then CRCC would make an appearance on the Golfweek top 100 Classic List. I can only think of 5 courses in Chicago that would be in it's league- it's that good.

Thanks for the comment, Jack. Yes, I had read your comments earlier this year about the course.

I think CRCC would be a no-brainer for the GW Top 100 Classic. (Of course you would think Lawsonia Links would be a perennial no-brainer too ;) ).

I agree that CRCC is really, really good. The big "Ross" course up here is Interlachen and I thought CRCC was better. It's just a cool, fun golf course as it stands today.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:57:00 AM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 11:30:54 AM »
hmm ... I'll find myself about a mile from there this Saturday with the family.  Certainly won't have time to play, but maybe I can sneak out and walk the course in the afternoon.  Looks beautiful. 

Also, for those who have played both, if I can sneak that way in the fall for golf, how would you compare Davenport to Cedar Rapids?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:33:35 AM by Andrew Buck »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »
Davenport CC is very good- it's a well restored Allison design- I suspect t it could be top 200 GW classic. They are on very good pieces of property- unlike anything in Chicago IMO . DCC will be a very nice surprise IMO .

V_Halyard

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
Hello all and greetings from the Cedar Rapids Country Club. Thank you Pat and Ran.  Also thanks to Jack, Jeff, Brad Klein and Chris Buie for your evangelism and kind words. A couple of quick notes, our course retains both Bendelow and Ross bones that have been wonderfully celebrated by Ron Prichard's restoration. With regard to the geography, prior to the Bendelow routing our current location was a mix of woodlands and prairie with a sprinkle of swamp. Ross incorporated parts of the Bendelow course within his routing. Some Bendelow routing is still in play. We are currently organizing our story for a "proper telling" so stay tuned... or Join us for a GCA round. 
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 09:11:19 PM »
Exciting stuff. It's great to see a classic layout stripped of its arboreal fat and re-bunkered with sharp edges. To see it on such a great piece of rolling land is just amazing.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 05:02:29 PM »
Cedar Rapids CC awarded its first USGA championship -- the 2019 U.S. Senior Women's Amateur:

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/press-releases/cedar-rapids-cc-awarded-2019-swam.pdf
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

CJames

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 09:15:56 PM »
A hearty round of applause to Mr. Vaughn Halyard, Mr. Prichard, and the motivated CRCC membership and staff for this significant accomplishment/recognition!  Having had the distinct pleasure of meeting the delightful 'CR' Vaughn last week at Sand Valley and learning more about CRCC's highly impressive restoration, I am most pleased that this 'feel-good' GCA story continues to unfold in a wholly-appropriate manner! 

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »
Congratulations to everyone at Cedar Rapids...a well deserved honor!
H.P.S.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 05:14:02 PM »
I cannot wait to play here for the Mashie. Should be awesome!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

V_Halyard

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:13 AM »
On behalf of the architectural warriors of CRCC, we thank you all for your support and good cheer! We look forward to hosting our Mashie this fall as a warmup event! Always room in corn country to join a game!
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 03:17:52 AM »
A hearty round of applause to Mr. Vaughn Halyard, Mr. Prichard, and the motivated CRCC membership and staff for this significant accomplishment/recognition!  Having had the distinct pleasure of meeting the delightful 'CR' Vaughn last week at Sand Valley and learning more about CRCC's highly impressive restoration, I am most pleased that this 'feel-good' GCA story continues to unfold in a wholly-appropriate manner!

I knew I was amongst the GCA cocoon at Sand Valley Grand opening when Chuck and Jason Way uttered something I am certain I never expected to hear:
"Wait, are you Cedar Rapids Vaughn from the GCA Interview?"  A classic exchange indelibly imprinted into my lexicon.

CJames

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 09:18:21 PM »
Jason and I now presume a sufficient level of familiarity with you, Vaughn, that you're simply 'CR Vaughn'; 'CRV' is just a matter of time.  New friendships, with good people of similar interests and passions, are one of the wonderful byproducts of sticking together in the GCA community. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »

I knew I was amongst the GCA cocoon at Sand Valley Grand opening when Chuck and Jason Way uttered something I am certain I never expected to hear:
"Wait, are you Cedar Rapids Vaughn from the GCA Interview?"  A classic exchange indelibly imprinted into my lexicon.

All good!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

V_Halyard

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 01:51:19 AM »
Jason and I now presume a sufficient level of familiarity with you, Vaughn, that you're simply 'CR Vaughn'; 'CRV' is just a matter of time.  New friendships, with good people of similar interests and passions, are one of the wonderful byproducts of sticking together in the GCA community.

Haaaa. All good. Are you packed and ready to go as I swing through on the Way to our Tour de Michigan?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 02:40:20 PM »
Ross had some involvement in the course, but it might have been very minimal.

The involvement was certainly more than minimal.

July 7, 1917 Des Moines Register -

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:52:17 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »

Quite the proclamation by Ross...

I do know Mr. Morrissett visited Cedar Rapids a few weeks back and was very taken with the course. I believe there might even be a formal course tour to follow? We will see.
H.P.S.

V_Halyard

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 04:07:28 PM »

Quite the proclamation by Ross...

I do know Mr. Morrissett visited Cedar Rapids a few weeks back and was very taken with the course. I believe there might even be a formal course tour to follow? We will see.

I believe we did our best to show Mr. Morrsissett our best side!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back