News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_Yates

Re: Does Playing A Great Course Ever Get Old?
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »
For me, I don't think it would ever get old.

Great courses are great because they have many subtleties in their design and daily presentation. It takes a long time to discover them, and as you do, your interest in finding more, your appreciation for their existence and your improved tactical knowledge will encourage to play there even more. I think playing truly great courses drives you to being more interested in playing them, not less.

If sentenced to playing one course for the rest of your life, would you ever get tired of playing Augusta National or Oakmont?
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

John Kirk

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
The more I consider this, the more I'm convinced it is a non-trivial subject.

John,

When learning to play a song on guitar, it seems like i used to listen to a record groove by groove and even slow it up to pick out the notes in a phrasing properly, but even after 102 & 103 Music Theory classes, in the end, R&R and such genre is about emotion, so forget the sterile technicalities, stay in key and play on.  I'd say golf is only somewhat analogous to music, the nuances explored and exploited may come and go with an appreciation only registering a smile or maybe a laugh or shout out, but memorable none-the-less.  One good shot can bring you back, so I'll grow old on a great or not so great course, doesn't really matter as long as I keep playing.  I don't think it ever gets old.     

Hi Steve,

The two activities, listening to music and playing golf, both evoke pleasure and emotion for the participant.  Other than that, the two aren't related.  I used my experience of listening to music because I can assign some numbers to it.

If you get bored playing a course, then I would say that defines why it is NOT "great".

A truly "great" course should be one that you could play everyday without ever getting bored.
I would not want to Play, as an example, Pumpkin Ridge every day. But I could play (one of) SF Golf, Chicago Golf, Fishers' Island, the National, etc. every day happily.

You are setting the bar high.  Surely more than a few thousand fortunate and/or gifted people can enjoy their daily game of golf.

A good working definition of happiness is to be a) happy with what you have, and b) not unhappy with what you don't have.  Having a feeling of gratitude and appreciation for the privilege of playing a regular round of golf goes a long way to making the experience "never get old".

In order of importance, I want a golf course that:

1.  Is on the Pacific Coast of the United States, or maybe Canada.
2.  With pleasant, familiar playing partners...
3.  And a pleasant walk through an environment rich with plant and animal life.
     a.  With close green to tee walks.
     b.  Some elevation change.  The walk is the "career extender", and I want my heart, lungs and legs to be challenged.
3.  The course itself should offer some level of excitement each round, though much of the experience of playing golf at the home course is very similar from day to day.
     a.  Overall, medium difficult (slope in the 130s) is best for me; I am a medium good player.
     b.  A few very difficult shots each round that demand great care and execution.
     c.  A couple of "rare play" shots each round, such as awkward lies or non-standard bunker shots.
     d.  A couple/few short game shots with significant break, that require the player to play away from the hole.
4.  As one ages, the requirements for walking demands and golf shots will change.

There's a scene in the movie "Up In The Air", where the main characters (one young, two older) are discussing what they want in a mate, and how their requirements diminish with age.  "Somebody with a nice smile would be nice."

At the end of the day, I want nice friends who play about the same as me, and a pretty park to walk in.  Everything else is gravy.  I could never play every day, but three rounds a week at Pasatiempo, Stanford, The Valley Club, Riviera and Waverly would exceed all requirements.  The weather at Bandon Dunes is too volatile.  Pumpkin Ridge is home now, and the walk through the native environment might be best of all. 

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 12:16:43 PM »
I'm surprised your list didn't include Victoria GC; it certainly ticks all the boxes quite nicely.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Dan Kelly

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »
Haven't read the thread, but ... to answer the title question:

No. Isn't that the *definition* of a great course?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kirk

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 01:02:01 PM »
I'm surprised your list didn't include Victoria GC; it certainly ticks all the boxes quite nicely.

Sure.  Our day at Victoria GC was wonderful.  Like all courses in the Pacific NW, it might be hard to find three playable golf days per week in the winter.

Add Fircrest GC in University Place, Washington as the kind of place I like.  It would be a better daily choice than its famous neighbor Chambers Bay.

Steve Lang

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2016, 09:39:37 PM »
 8)   Hey John,

I appreciate your perspective.  I think I was trying to push a bit beyond "music" in general, perhaps listening is not analogous, being a semi-passive physics-aural emothional activity, but now that i think more of it, playing music definitely is much more analogous to golf, being directly a physical, technical, and emotional skill based activity.  Golf with friends is unplugged fun, tournament golf is definitely plugged in, on the edge, there's nothing like it, especially in front of a crowd!   I'm sure Huey Lewis or Alice Cooper have or could opine on that much better than I.

Playing guitar never gets old, whether its on my Strat, ES-335, 339, or "The Door II," all great instruments I get to play on...  i remember playing an old acoustic at Ballyneal in the bar... not great but I'd pick it up again, tune, and play on.

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back