News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Glore

Played at Arcadia Bluffs Saturday and was told by two individuals land has been purchased south of the current course, but not on the water.  I believe one person said it will also be done by Henderson and Smith. 

I searched the net and didn't find anything.  Can anyone confirm?

Ryan Taylor

Re: I was told Arcadia Bluffs has purchased land for second course
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 07:18:29 PM »
I was also told the same by an Arcadia employee.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Jason Way

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:23:01 PM »
Did these folks specify, is the land east or west of M22?
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Buck Wolter

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 12:26:50 AM »
I thought Henderson and Smith had a huge falling out over AB.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:18:39 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Matt Glore

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 03:04:08 PM »
Did these folks specify, is the land east or west of M22?

I think he said across the street so East.  100% said not on the water. 

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
I heArd it will be designed by Pete dyes firm
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 03:25:22 PM »
I heArd it will be designed by Pete dyes firm

My sources tell me No. Working on a project for Kohler.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:15:56 PM »
  I believe one person said it will also be done by Henderson and Smith. 

I guess I would be shocked if that's true.  I think Warren moved to Florida.  I haven't heard anything from him in years?

Rick Smith is building a new golf academy at Forrest Dunes.  I suspect he still thinks he's a golf architect if somebody will pay him.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 07:12:57 AM »
  I believe one person said it will also be done by Henderson and Smith. 

I guess I would be shocked if that's true.  I think Warren moved to Florida.  I haven't heard anything from him in years?

Rick Smith is building a new golf academy at Forrest Dunes.  I suspect he still thinks he's a golf architect if somebody will pay him.

Henderson worked for Gary Player, last I spoke with him.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jason Way

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 04:34:50 PM »
I was up in MI this past week and the construction on the south course at Arcadia is visible from M22.  The land is being cleared of trees.  Taking a quick drive around the property, it is evident that there is gentle movement to the land, but nothing quite as dramatic as the north course.  It will be interesting to see the project develop and to see how the intended design concept plays out.

Here are a couple of so-so photos from the road, showing the piles of cut trees, and equipment.

If you're up in the 'hood, the new course will be between 13 Mile and St. Pierre / Steffens, immediately east of M22.

Here is the link to the press release:

http://www.golfdom.com/frystraka-global-golf-course-design-to-design-second-course-at-arcadia-bluffs/

Here is a link the a video interview with MGL:

https://twitter.com/mglbill/status/789077676719996928
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:36:28 PM by Jason Way »
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 07:29:53 AM »
Talk about your Caddyshack 2 potential  >:( >:( >:(

I like the work that Dana Fry did with Mike Hurdzan, and I suspect that Jason Straka is quite talented. Tasked with building a course that will be compared with the older sibling, is monumental, especially if the acreage is perceived to be less than big sister (cough, Bandon Trail, hack.)

If Dana and Jason can produce a course that offers width, avoids repetition, and encourages mirth, they will have succeeded.

Jason, you indicate that it is gently rolling. Does that take into account the 40 feet of topographical movement that are mentioned in the press release? I wonder if that 40 feet is top to bottom, or a total of a foot here, two feet there?

Are there plans to add lodging to the mix?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jason Way

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 12:50:58 PM »
I suspect that once all of the trees are cleared, there will be more movement evident in the land, but I don't expect to see anything as dramatic as Kingsley, Crystal Downs, or AB1.  Could be wrong about that though as the entire parcel is not currently visible from the road.

They are already building more lodging right next to the current clubhouse.  I don't think that there is an intention for lodging next to AB2, but I assume that there will be a clubhouse/golf shop of some kind.

The description of the course in the press release (homage to Golden Age architecture) sounds intriguing to me, and seems like a big enough departure from the original to be the right route to take.  We'll see how it works on the ground. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
I suspect that once all of the trees are cleared, there will be more movement evident in the land, but I don't expect to see anything as dramatic as Kingsley, Crystal Downs, or AB1.   

Crystal Downs has more than 100 feet of elevation change from #8 fairway to #12 fairway ... actually it has almost 80 feet just from the bottom of #11 fairway to the top of #12 fairway.  Kingsley must have close to 100 feet, if not more.  And the first course at Arcadia Bluffs has at least 75 feet based on distant memory, so the new site is quite a bit flatter than any of those named.

The Loop at Forest Dunes only has about 30 feet of total elevation change, for comparison purposes.

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »
 8)  Quick looks at USGS Topo shows very little relief across the site, some possible in central woods and leading to pond in NE quadrant.  I remember hilly areas farther east of AB, would imagine some parkland paths through or along the edges of the woods?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:42:10 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Nick Spears

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
I saw Ginella tweeted that AB2 will be an homage to Chicago Golf Club according to Fry.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 04:04:34 PM »
I saw that too.  It would be pretty remarkable if true.

I saw Ginella tweeted that AB2 will be an homage to Chicago Golf Club according to Fry.

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 11:02:49 PM »
Nice!  I've talked with public golfers in Michigan for my entire life and I can tell you that one thing kept coming up over and over again.  They wanted a course that reminded them of Chicago Golf Club.  To a man, everyone I talked to really liked Chicago Golf and wanted some of that closer to home.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

BCowan

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 11:05:26 PM »
Nice!  I've talked with public golfers in Michigan for my entire life and I can tell you that one thing kept coming up over and over again.  They wanted a course that reminded them of Chicago Golf Club.  To a man, everyone I talked to really liked Chicago Golf and wanted some of that closer to home.

;D ;D , they won't have to whore themselves out onto CGC.  Win win. 

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 05:56:20 AM »

Another JC driveby...nice   8)

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 05:56:39 AM »

How many "public" golfers in Michigan do you think have actually place CGC? That's one of the hardest tickets anywhere.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »

How many "public" golfers in Michigan do you think have actually place CGC? That's one of the hardest tickets anywhere.

I suspect JC was a tad cheeky in his usual driveby manner.  This time, however, the sarcasm hit the mark.  Of course, having never met the man, perhaps I am mistaken.

That said, I kinda like the idea of a modern course built on the concept of CG.  I spose the acquired land is a bit flat.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:19:12 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Nick Spears

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »
Anyone want to expand on who or what is being referred to? Im lost.

Steve Lang

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »
 8)  Nick,

First you must understand the learned JC Jones, intrepid golfer, legal mind, larcenous nature in a good professorial way, itinerant country singer & rater, tar heel transplant, summer Charlevoixian, no small task... but a good play at Belvedere if you can catch him or perhaps at his other haunts...

Second, for good reason, Chicago folk have summered along the eastern Lake Michigan coast for like a hundred years, back to the days of timber barons and their railroad lines into Pure Michigan

Now I've only been enjoying northern mich golf since 1982, but they don't need no stinking CGC!  Sure, channel CB Macdonald, might be good marketing for a championship golf course. ::)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:29:03 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
This excellent addition should elevate Arcadia to resort status from daily fee.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 08:43:45 PM »
Looks like it had Garden City potential to me.
Luckily, Pat M is not here to call me an idiot.
Unluckily, they're not building many Garden Citys these day.
Interesting how one particular niche (CBM-Chicago Golf) becomes worthy of homage and marketing, while another (Emmet- Garden City) doesn't.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:23:09 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back