News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Doak is Ballyback!!!
« on: July 05, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »
Congrats to all the existing members and future guests!!! Hell, congrats to the golfing world!!!

http://email.lettair.com/t/ViewEmail/r/563F5D6A3394D29D2540EF23F30FEDED/99E9994A1978258C025DA65DC0D0F53A

Tom_Doak

Re: Doak is Ballyback!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 01:01:55 PM »
Hey John:

If I just send you an email list will you distribute that as a press release for me?  That's catchy.

We will start the work on July 15 and hope to have everything planted by September 1st.  But, I can't even tell you exactly how many greens there will be:  we will make a couple of decisions final when I get back out there on the 21st.

I really like the design problem they put to me:  figure out what we can do with seven more acres of turf.  [That's how much extra water rights they have.]

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 04:03:50 PM »
Tom,

Please feel free to quote me, congrats to you too. One thing, if you get time and find yourself in what was once a library let me know if a first edition Riders of the Purple Sage is still around for all to enjoy. It was a small token I gifted in appreciation of all the great times I had at a fine club blessed by great people and their guests.

Seven acres and 13 holes? I see Colton hitting 200 holes real soon.  Everyone wins.

Ross Harmon

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 04:20:10 PM »

This is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see what Tom thinks up - I've heard there's a few amazing holes out there!

Seven acres and 13 holes? I see Colton hitting 200 holes real soon.  Everyone wins.

We're thinking about the Junior HHH for our kiddos in the near future!

Ross Harmon

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »

Here's the text from the link... also references The Commons putting course that opens later this month.

After ten successful seasons, Ballyneal is excited to announce the addition of a short course to complement its existing 18 holes. Tom Doak and his team at Renaissance Golf have signed on for the project and are currently routing the 13-hole short course. Construction efforts are underway and the course should be completed this fall, with a formal opening set for July 2017.

Ballyneal is situated on a unique sand dune formation in northeastern Colorado referred to as the chop hills. It’s among the largest of these dunes that the new course will be built. "There are so many dramatic possibilities out there, we've got to build three or four holes that rival certain ones on the original 18," says Doak. The entire 13 holes will lie within the front 9 loop of the existing course with a number of different routings possible, including a 6-hole loop accessible directly from the clubhouse.

John Curlander, who owns the club, selected Tom Doak based on his prior work in the area. "He is familiar with the unique ecology of the chop hills and the type of golf preferred by our members," Curlander adds. "I'm confident that we will end up with an exceptional layout and ultimately a great addition to the club.”

Ballyneal is looking forward to the Renaissance team's return to the chop hills. Tom Doak and Eric Iverson were both on property in April working on a new putting complex referred to as The Commons. Over an acre in size, The Commons is the centerpiece to the Ballyneal village. It offers a wide variety of putting options to entertain members and their guests into the evening hours. The Commons is set to open this summer by mid-July.

K Rafkin

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 04:30:04 PM »
Any chance of a reversible short course?  Now that its a proven concept and all.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 04:39:15 PM »
Reversible? At seven acres this course will be Stereognostic.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:38:18 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
Reversible? At seven acres this course will be Stereognosistic.

stereognostic, and thanks for the addition to my idiolect.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 05:39:38 PM »
Ron, thanks for the spelling correction. The definition is self explaneable.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 08:34:17 PM »
Any chance of a reversible short course?  Now that its a proven concept and all.

The plan is for the course to be accessible from multiple points.  You can start from the clubhouse; or play the first hole and play onto the short course from the second tee; or play onto other greens from the 3rd or 4th tees, and play in from there. 

If you start from the clubhouse, you'll have to play one or two holes backwards to get out, and then turn around.  But we are still getting a feel for how that all will work.  I'm not sure how they came up with the number of holes being 13, since I still don't know how many we'll have.[size=78%]  [/size]

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 08:56:21 PM »

If you start from the clubhouse, you'll have to play one or two holes backwards to get out, and then turn around.  But we are still getting a feel for how that all will work.

Anyone else find any humor in Ballyneal building an "open jaw" course?  ;)
Just saying. And I don't even have a dog in this hunt.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 08:57:08 PM »
Ron, thanks for the spelling correction. The definition is self explaneable.

I believe you meant to write, self-despicable.

RM
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Cowden

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 09:56:19 PM »
Bruce, no humor, or even irony, since the original "open jaw" is also a Doak.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 10:28:15 PM »
Reversible? At seven acres this course will be Stereognostic.

I have been striving to live up to your words, not editing my posts, not even for grammar and spelling, which is hard enough, never mind outright factual errors. Yet on multiple occasions of late your actions fail your words.

Please, either improve your compliance or free us from the tyranny of the unedited post.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »

Please, either improve your compliance or free us from the tyranny of the unedited post.

Mark,

That is absolutely fantastic!

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

John Cowden

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 12:52:19 AM »
Here here!!

Brandon Urban

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 04:24:13 PM »
I had the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to walk the new par 3 routing. It is going to be fantastic with a couple of holes that look like they may rival what's out there on the big course when it's all finished.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Scott Szabo

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 05:43:29 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.  A lot of good things going on at Ballyneal right now!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

BHoover

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 08:33:53 PM »
Any word on whether the new course will be GolfBoard friendly?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back