News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Playa Grande (Best Course in the Caribbean?)
« on: July 05, 2016, 09:30:01 AM »
"I can say with certainty and without hesitation that Playa Grande is simply the [Caribbean's] best golf course."

The Best Golf Course In The Caribbean - Plus An Awesome New Luxury Resort - Forbes

That's high praise.  I've not played Playa Grande, either pre- or post-Rees, so don't have any ability to assess.  Has anyone seen it since the reno? 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:17:00 AM by Carl Nichols »

Greg Tallman

Re: Playa Grande (Best Course in the Caribbean?)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »
Have not seen it personally but have heard some rather divergent commentary on the new iteration. Some agree with the assertion in the Forbes article and some say just another pretty course, nothing special.

Take away TOTD and best in the Caribbean is not the highest of bars. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 12:57:36 PM »
"I can say with certainty and without hesitation that Playa Grande is simply the [Caribbean's] best golf course."

Larry Olmstead has spoken!

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 01:58:03 PM »
If it's better that teeth of the dog and cap Cana, that's really saying something.

There's another course that will be opening there in a year or two as well that should be pretty good
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 02:19:24 PM »
Ouch.
With rooms that start at $1,800/nt (in December!...then $2,100 and up) and boasting a setting that is "more private than the most venerable private clubs", [/size]I will pass.... :o ;D

[/size]If you seek a comparable situation, albeit not quite as luxurious,  for 1/4 the price, then I suggest El Tamirindo in Jalisco, MX (45 mins north of Manzanillo.) My wife and I stayed there for a week and the RTJ golf course there gets about 5-10 rounds per day.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 02:50:10 PM »
Ouch.
With rooms that start at $1,800/nt (in December!...then $2,100 and up) and boasting a setting that is "more private than the most venerable private clubs", I will pass.... :o ;D

If you seek a comparable situation, albeit not quite as luxurious,  for 1/4 the price, then I suggest El Tamirindo in Jalisco, MX (45 mins north of Manzanillo.) My wife and I stayed there for a week and the RTJ golf course there gets about 5-10 rounds per day.

Is El Tamarindo still open?  I was thinking of trying to get there for The Confidential Guide, but when I looked for it online, all of the web sites looked like they were defunct.  Also, I don't think it's Trent Jones' work.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 03:38:53 PM »
Tom -

I could have sworn it was RTJ (when I was there), but a bit of Googling comes up with David Fleming....

Not sure it is still open. I thought that the resort was getting renovated 2-3 years back but never heard.
I did know that the 2000 acre property was owned by a Mexican billionaire whose house can be seen from the water at the resort. (Think: James Bond villain's tropical fortress. I actually have some pictures of it.)

I enjoyed the course. Tight FWs through the jungle, 3-4 cool seaside holes, and not a soul around.
Cheers,
Ian

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 08:50:23 PM »
Tom -

I could have sworn it was RTJ (when I was there), but a bit of Googling comes up with David Fleming....

Not sure it is still open. I thought that the resort was getting renovated 2-3 years back but never heard.
I did know that the 2000 acre property was owned by a Mexican billionaire whose house can be seen from the water at the resort. (Think: James Bond villain's tropical fortress. I actually have some pictures of it.)

I enjoyed the course. Tight FWs through the jungle, 3-4 cool seaside holes, and not a soul around.
Cheers,
Ian

Mike Keiser took his wife there years ago and they loved the place.  On Google Earth, it still looks like the course was being maintained last winter, but I can't find an active web site for it.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 12:02:18 AM »
I think it was supposed to turn into a four seasons resort but not sure if that's still the case . I went in 2005 for a wedding and I was the only one that played the course in two days. I'll see if I can find some pics but I remember it was a pretty fun course but it was a bit narrow in spots and had a few picturesque holes that where over looking the water.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 01:28:09 PM »
From their website:
[Editor's Note: El Tamarindo Beach and Golf Resort is currently closed. At some point it will open again as a new Four Seasons resort—after a year or two of renovations. Here's what it used to look like.]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back