News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tommy Williamsen

I know it would be exciting to see them go at it in two, but as a golf hole three shotters aren't bad. The lay up, however, could be more interesting. I do agree with McCord that letting them have a go once would be nice.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:26:30 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

For, like 50 years, the 16th at Firestone was a three-shot hole.  It doesn't work today only because they've let the equipment get out of hand that a 625-yard hole has to be judged by how it treats a guy who's going for it in two.

Carl Rogers

so it is a 525 par 4.5 ... or a 800 yard true 3 shotter?

Tim_Cronin

I say leave it. Look how Day overthought it and got into trouble. Tried to lay up and hooked it, leading to a double. You can think too much on the course. DJ will tell you that!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

JStewart

What is the criticism? Only that it can't be reached in two?

Will MacEwen

The water would make the hole more interesting if players were tempted to go for it in two - if they all hit up and hit wedges it is kind of dull.

Carl Rogers

The lay-up shot is a joke.

BHoover

The lay-up shot is a joke.

Ask Jason Day if he agrees.

Matt Kardash

The shot over water can be very exciting. The hole is supposed to be so long that there is no guarantee that your 3rd shot will be from in the centre of the fairway from 100 yards. Equipment has taken a lot of the bite out of the hole for the professional golfer.
But even so, I am sure the 3rd shot is plenty exciting to most amateurs who play. I would like to know how many amateurs who play the hole have a routine wedge into the green. Probably not many.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Eric LeFante

I like how the hole demands a good tee shot for the pros. A poor tee shot will require a lot of work to make a par. Most par 5's we see the pros play are too easy in my opinion. A very bad tee shot usually just means a lay up and a 100 yard wedge. The penalty for a bad tee shot on most par 5's is that they can't go for the green in two but can still make a birdie with a wedge.

BHoover

Excellent posts, Matt and Eric. I think the layup shot is what makes the hole interesting. Even with a good tee shot, the golfer is forced to play a long layup shot rather than the typical 6 or 7 iron followed by a wedge. It takes a well-played layup to leave a fairly easy approach. That's no guarantee on the hole.

For the tournament, it might be interesting to move the tee up once in a while to entice a few pros to give it a go in two. But for the members and guests, I find 16 to be plenty interesting/challenging as is.

Mark Pritchett

I think 16 looks like a fun hole to navigate.  I actually enjoy watching the pros play it. 

Interesting how many of them can be 100 yards out and not get it close.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back