News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Scottish Open tune up for 'The Open', and other venues.
« on: July 08, 2016, 01:23:18 PM »
Watching a bit of the Scottish Open at Castle Stuart, and yesterdays wind and played on fescue, wondering if it would be your choice as a week coming from U.S. style courses to get acclimated to the big competition on Open links?   

I took note that Gary Woodland preceded his Open last year with a stay at Dismal River, where his scorecard reflects an awesome round on the White course, also firm, fast, fescue, and presumable wind. As I remember, he fell ill days later and played "The Open" with high fever and flu like symptoms, perhaps negating the effect of a proper tune-up on the style of playing surface and conditions.   I've heard Watson had at times spent some time at Sand Hills prior to Open appearances (don't know if true).

If I were a newly qualified U.S. tour player eligible to play in 'The Open', I'd surely think a tune-up week whether a Castle Stuart competition or sand hills experience would be very helpful.

What do you think?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

Re: Scottish Open tune up for 'The Open', and other venues.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »
Yet, I think Zack went from the John Deere (a polar opposite style course to win at St. Andrews, none the less)   Go figure....  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »
RJ,

I'd recommend Cabot Links for the purpose of emulating conditions and playability suitable for The Open.   I loved Cabot Cliffs, but I LOVED Cabot Links.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 04:10:54 PM »
Kingsley club.

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 04:23:24 PM »
Castle Stuart, along with Sand Hills, is the modern course I would most like to play. It looks superb. If I were preparing for The Open, I absolutely would be at Castle Stuart this week.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 05:15:30 AM »
Alternatively you could just go down to Troon and play there.

Niall

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »
Alternatively you could just go down to Troon and play there.

Niall

Assuming you want to play links golf in competition, the Scottish Open is the logical choice.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 08:59:18 PM »
Sure Brian, for competition keen tuning up.  But, I'm thinking more of a week of hitting links shots at your leisure and working things out more so than the competitive edge of tournament golf.  Wouldn't you think that if weather, primarily wind, turf firmness and species, and green contours are somewhat foreign to the constant parkland stuff these guys see week in and week out, that getting accustom to feeling the ground game - so to speak, would be a factor?

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 09:07:44 PM »
Sure, I'm saying that I would absolutely be playing at Castle Stuart this week.

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 01:48:58 AM »
Kavanaugh and I watched Rickie Fowler finish up his round at St Andrews yesterday. Pretty cool seeing him push his own trolley down the 18th fairway.

BHoover

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 05:01:59 AM »
Am I alone in thinking it's poor form on the part of Rickie Fowler to be playing somewhere in Scotland other than at Castle Stuart defending his Scottish Open title?

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »
I agree it is somewhat poor form but then he is a professional and maybe he wants to tune up for the main prize by playing a traditional links, not a modern version of one. Which is another reason for going to Troon.

Niall

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »
I'd think that coming to CS would be a decent play to get used to the climate, get the body clock in sinc and do it in a competitive environment.
 Then you could do the same as Phil and many other do and play Nairn, Fortrose and Lossie amongst others nearby to get traditional links golf.
 I do think it's bad form with Fowler not defending.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back