News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Re: OT - First Review of "Tommy's Honour"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:09:15 PM »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:07:11 PM »
I've seen greater dismissal for other golfing movies. Bagger Vance was a huge letdown, with so much potential. I'll look forward to seeing this one, since I'm not much for golf but am huge on Victorian morality tilts.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:13:07 PM »
Ronald -

The best golf movie I can recall seeing is "Pat & Mike." At least Kate Hepburn could swing a golf club. ;)

DT

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:24:47 PM »
I've not seen that one.

I'm confident that there is an O/T thread on this board, dedicated to movies.

I've seen Bagger Vance (2 of 5) Dead Solid Perfect (3 of 5 - those actors can golf, too!) Follow The Sun (1 of 5) and a few others.

No money in golf movies.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 04:39:07 PM »
A golf clip from "Pat & Mike"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsF6blrbUHU
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:48:00 PM by David_Tepper »

David Kelly

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:03:15 PM »

The best golf movie I can recall seeing is "Pat & Mike." At least Kate Hepburn could swing a golf club. ;)

Agree.  I also liked "Love in the Rough" if only for the scenes shot at the short-lived Lake Norconian Club.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 08:00:36 PM »
Gentlemen,

RoMo says "No money in golf movies" and how true is that.

"Golf in The Kingdom" was not what you can describe as a box-office success.  I don't think it was even released here in Oz but if it had been there is one avid fan of Shivas who would probably have been mightily disappointed.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 08:47:53 PM »
Ronald -

DT

Agreed!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 01:16:14 AM »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 01:56:32 AM »
Love Kate, but top this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34viwApgPyE

You mean it takes rhythm to play good golf?!?! No wonder I suck.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Josh Stevens

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 02:38:15 AM »
lets see modern pros putt on those greens

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »
Not sure how Tin Cup gets left off this discussion.

It was very profitable actually and has a somewhat cult following..... ;)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 02:52:44 AM »
Best golf movie hasn't been made, but it would be a compilation of TIger's greatest shots
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve Okula

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 06:01:47 AM »
Not many people have seen it, but in my opinion the best golf movie ever is "The Greatest Game Ever Played" (2005, staring Shia Le Boeuf).  It relates the story of Francis Ouimet's victory over Vardon and Ray in the 1913 U.S. Open. A key part of the story is the relationship between Ouimet and his ten year old caddie, Eddie Lowery. One of the great touches is that the movie depicts Brookline in the rustic condition it no doubt was at the time.

If you're looking for the most popular golf movie, none come close to "Caddyshack".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:08:40 AM by Steve Okula »
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 09:47:34 AM »
Love Kate, but top this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34viwApgPyE

That is some seriously impressive moves...both with the club in hand and without!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »
Sorry gents, but the best golf movie ever is "Caddyshack."   

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 01:12:19 AM »
Sorry gents, but the best golf movie ever is "Caddyshack."   

Or, the worst golf movie ever is Caddyshack.
More likely the worst IMO.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 08:51:49 PM »

US release date is April 14th, Friday after The Masters. Don't know if that is general or limited. Rotten Tomatoes rating is 88. Saw a trailer last night and it was impressive.

Ryan Carey

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:00 PM »
Tommy's Honor is an excellent movie. I was extremely impressed. My only regret is that my wife didn't see it with me, as I would've loved to know her opinion as a non-golfer. But that's not something that applies to anyone on this site. If you like golf history, go see it. I highly recommend it.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 02:55:00 AM »

A screen grab from the trailer for the film depicting a putting green - an accurate depiction of early course conditions?

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 06:59:38 AM »
I’d suggest no on two counts. Firstly the ground would be harder and more trodden down with finer grasses. That picture makes it look quite mossy. Secondly the flagstick is completely out of place. That’s like making a film of Sir Francis Drake and having him wear a bowler hat. IMO of course.

Niall

MCirba

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 10:51:56 AM »
Agree with Steve on "The Greatest Game of All" as a pretty well done serious golf movie.   

Really  looking forward to Tommy's Honour despite critics.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »
I never thought of Caddie Shack as a golf movie. It is more of a spoof of country Clubs. I found it funny in spots but generally boring. While The Great Game didn't strictly adhere to the facts it did show the spirit of the game between competitors.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 12:11:18 PM »
I agree on "The Greatest Game". It works because it's a drama - like a courtroom drama, e.g. The Verdict - that just happens to take place on a golf course. Its dramatic foundations/engines are as old as the sun: the underdog, the fish out of water, the coming of age, the father-son, the redemption. I like the mystical side of golf as much as the next fellow, but that approach doesn't work for the medium of film; it's best left to novels or poetry, where the mysticism is embedded in language itself and in the imagination responding to that language. (I can go on and on about how some golf architects make the same mistake, for my tastes.)
I also agree on Caddyshack - sometimes funny, mostly boring and often annoying. I think it's because I've never been a big fan of Bill M on film; there is always an under-current/unconscious level of anger in him. Nothing wrong with anger, per se, but I like mine more open and honest and direct, as in a Joe Pesci performance in a Scorcese film.     
P

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back