News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Predict Oakmont Final Score and Winner
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:52:31 PM »
Who will be the winner? I predict the guy who hits the most fairways, greens and putts the best

Jason Day
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:48:18 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joe Bausch

Re: Predict Oakmont Winner
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:55:41 PM »
I'm liking Dustin Johnson.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »
Andrew "Beef" Johnston

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:23:03 PM »
I'll gamble with Phil Mickelson pick.

Edit: Based on proximity to hole and GIR stats I am actually going with Adam Scott
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:00:50 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:42:56 PM »
Mr Zach Johnson, who will grind his way to the 3rd leg of the Grand Slam and cease being the most underrated golfer out there.

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 09:49:02 PM »
Straight shooter Russell Knox. As an outside bet. always under the radar

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 11:30:29 PM »
Rory.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 11:47:03 PM »
Justin Rose
darkhorse Brandon Grace
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sandy Smith

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 12:14:04 AM »
Spieth will defend in a walk.
🙈
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Jeremy Rivando

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 12:32:37 AM »
Brooks Koepka may be able to handle tough, not sure Hideki can but he is my 2nd pick.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 03:45:00 AM »
Phil Mickelson.

The only player to ever win the US Open missing half or more of the fairways was Angel at Oakmont in '07. I believe Phil has a similar game to Angel, and Phil's short game has to be a + this week. All depends on the flat stick.

Phil has a weirdly good record at "traditional" US Open venues; his six 2nd or T2 ... pre-restoration Pinehurst #2, Shinny, Winged Foot, Bethpage (twice), Merion.

Additionally, who doesn't want Phil to win. If he is in contention, he will be crowd favorite. I don't know why, but I think I might cry for Phil if he does win.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Michael Graham

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 03:49:55 AM »
DJ to finally break through at a major. The post tournament celebrations will be off the chain.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 03:50:47 AM »
Mike Miller

'If I play really well, I can change my life in four days.'

I love that desire. I would love to see this guy do well:

http://nypost.com/2016/06/13/he-bolted-college-devastated-parents-for-golf-nows-his-chance/

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 05:03:50 AM »
DJ to finally break through at a major. The post tournament celebrations will be off the chain.
If Dustbin is ever to win a Major (and I don't think he will), it won't be one where he needs to hole a stupidly fast downhill 6 footer to win.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 07:12:51 AM »
Matt Kuchar or Justin Rose
.... dark horse Retief Goosen
..... super dark horse Danny Willet
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jim Franklin

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »

How is the current Masters champion, a "super dark horse"?
Mr Hurricane

Michael Graham

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 08:24:38 AM »
If Dustbin is ever to win a Major (and I don't think he will), it won't be one where he needs to hole a stupidly fast downhill 6 footer to win.

Johnson definitely wins at least one major before his career is through. I think he's more likely be a Mickelson than a Garcia.

David McIntosh

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 08:43:14 AM »
I think Johnson, much like Garcia, needs to improve his short-mid length putting if he is to win a Major but I'm sure he will get there at some point. I'd also argue that Garcia has the advantage of having a far better short game/touch around the greens than DJ but despite this I'm not as confident that Sergio will ever win one now.

Would love to see Mickelson do it this year but don't think he'll manage it. Avoiding the Big Three (incidentally, I think Day will come closest of those three), I'd say Patrick Reed might be a good outside bet. Brooks Koepka (who has already been mentioned) would be my other shout.

Mark Buzminski

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 09:03:47 AM »
Spieth will defend in a walk.
🙈

Agreed.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »

How is the current Masters champion, a "super dark horse"?
Because the Golf World has written off this year's Masters as a Spieth collapse and not given Mr. Willet his due.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tim Fenchel

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
Day takes it.

Johnson intrigues me a bit here as he just drives the ball so darn straight (with tons of distance as well). If he chooses to pull driver more than other guys, which all evidence points to...AND he has an ON putting week he has a chance.  But if he is average with the flatstick, which is his namesake, he's out. I wouldn't know where to start in handicapping his mental game.

Rory wins Opens when there is no wind or its wet.

Speith hasn't fixed the hook off the tee.

PCCraig

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 09:45:51 AM »
Tiger Woods
H.P.S.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »
I'll take Kaymer (70/1), Oosthuizen (70/1), Goosen (150/1) and Moore (175/1) for best value picks.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Michael Graham

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 11:31:01 AM »
I'll take Kaymer (70/1), Oosthuizen (70/1), Goosen (150/1) and Moore (175/1) for best value picks.

If those are genuine odds I'm amazed Kaymer is priced the same as Oosthuizen. Kaymer hasn't done anything since winning at Pinehurst two years ago. [/size]Oosthuizen at 70/1 is well worth an each way bet. [/size]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:43:47 PM by Michael Graham »

Eric Hammerbacher

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 12:12:56 PM »
I'll pick Spieth, but I think with all the attention Bob Ford is getting this week, he's the real winner.   

He's a class act.
"All it takes, in truth, for a golfer to attain his happiness is a fence rail to throw his coat on, and a target somewhere over the rise." -John Updike 1994

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back