News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

goldj

I've just returned from spending several days at May River where I was very impressed by the courses and the green complexes in particular.  Although challenging and requiring the "right' shot to get close to the flag,  they provided golfers of all levels with a wide variety of access points and, in general, lots of alternatives. 

Playing May River got me thinking about the Bear's Club where, in my opinion, the green complexes are more difficult and the penalties for missing significantly greater.

If you had to play 10 rounds on just these courses, where would you play and why?

Jay Mickle

I played May River a couple of months ago and if I hadn't known that Nicklaus had designed it I would not have ascribed it to him. I was impressed with the shaping and the chipping areas provided. Far more holes moved right to left than the converse. I also recollect that I could run balls up onto many of the greens.
It has been quite some time since I played The Bear"s Club (pre GCA immersion) and I remember little other than a top notch practice area, a great birdie on 18 and a wonderful lunch overlooking the final hole.
I don't know how I would break up the rounds but I wouldn't be upset if I had to play 10 rounds at May River next year.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Bill_McBride

I haven't played a lot of Nicklaus courses.  Didn't like PGA West private, hated Grand Cypress, liked the Grand Bear in Mississippi okay.  I loved May River.  Interesting greens, lots of variety, pretty much the dead opposite of Grand Cypress North/South for those who have played there. 

cary lichtenstein

MayRiver 7 Bears 3
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mac Plumart

I haven't played May River yet, but is venture a guess that your split will be determined by your handicap.

Scratch or thereabouts, and I'd bet you'd love The Bears Club. It's too hard for me, so I'd probably prefer May River...which looks great.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom_Doak

That would be a pitcher's duel for me, and The Bear's Club would lose by shutout.  Both courses are difficult, but May River is more scenic and has a bit more sense of humor.

jeffwarne

I haven't played May rRver, but the pictures I've seen look very nice--that and I'm partial to Hilton Head area-and not at all to South Florida
I've played The Bear's-so I'll take May River ;)

must say I always enjoyed Melrose on Daufuskie (don't know its current status)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back