News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

The Golfing Annual 1896/97 - Unidentified Courses
« on: June 01, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »
One of the first golf course guides, The Golfing Annual contained a listing of courses in countries all across the world, including a number of US courses.  There are a handful of courses that I have not seen noted anywhere else, or only have records for from a much later date.

If anyone has any information on any of the following (including alternate names or if any of these were clubs that played on courses by a different name), I'd appreciate hearing it.

Neighbourhood GC (West Newton, MA)
Tulare GC (Tulare, CA) - 9 Holes
Hitormissit GC (Somerville, MA)
Lynn GC (Lynn, MA)
Quincy GC (Quincy, MA)
Water Witch CC (Navesink, NJ)
South Shore CC (Babylon, NY)
Rob Roy GC (Huntington, NY)
Ridgefield County GC (Ridgefield, ??)
Poughkeepsie GC (Poughkeepsie, NY) - Private course on the grounds of E. N. Howell
Junior GC (Summit, NJ)
Hollywood GC (Long Branch, NJ)
Deal Beach GC (Deal Beach, NJ) - Instituted in 1895
Century GC (Norwood Park/Long Branch, NJ) - Instituted in 1895
Beacon-On-The-Sea GC (Point Pleasant, NJ) - Instituted in 1895
Kenwood CC
Brightwood Hunt Club (Brightwood, MD) - Instituted in 1895
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Joe Bausch

Re: The Golfing Annual 1896/97 - Unidentified Courses
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 01:19:32 PM »
You just made up the third one listed just to see if we are paying attention, dint ya'?   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 01:22:19 PM »
Joe:

Wish I was that creative.  Here's the screen cap of the entry:

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:18:48 PM »
Amazing that there was once golf in Somerville...it has one of the highest densities of population in the country now.  Just checked, it's #16 in the US, 75,000+ people squeezed into 4.1 square miles.

Is there also an entry for Wollaston?  The current President's GC, formerly Wollaston GC until the 70s or 80s, has roots that go back to pre-1900.  If there isn't an entry for Wollaston in the 1896/97 guide, perhaps Quincy GC is the same club.

Lynn GC is intriguing as well.  The only golf in Lynn currently is a neat Wayne Stiles muni course circa late 20s/early 30s.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 07:01:59 PM »
Tulare GC, CA seems to be quite the outlier for a course to crop up there in 1896, seems it would have been in the middle of nowhere.  Must have been a wealthy land owner, perhaps Tagus Ranch fruit co.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 12:32:15 AM »
Deal and Hollywood are both pretty good tracks that are right next to each other. Ran did a write up on Hollywood . A good friends son works at deal I believe so let me know what exactly your looking for.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:25:01 AM »
Brad:

I'm looking for why these two courses show up in an 1896-97 Guide when the dates for their formation are given in other sources as 1898.

Sven

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 08:31:12 AM »

With respect to Jim Kennedy's reference to the "Poughkeepsie club" above, the name of the club was Whitehouse Knolls.  The  course was developed by E.N. Howell, was designed by Willie Dunn, and was part of an ambitious housing development.  The course opened in June, 1897 (just six weeks after Dunn began laying out the course).  It was in existence until 1901 when the development failed and the property was foreclosed upon.  (This information is from Poughkeepsie Daily Eagle newspaper articles.)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:06:00 pm by Tom Buggy »

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back