News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Both courses at Rancho Canada in Carmel to close
« on: May 10, 2016, 05:01:22 PM »

Sign of the times in California.

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/blogs/news_blog/acres-of-rancho-ca-ada-golf-course-to-become-parkland/article_3c25657c-0bfb-11e6-8470-6f9aff30241a.html

Not the best courses in the world but provided reasonable golf in the Carmel area. Clint Eastwood is now involved trying to develop one of the courses into homes. 

Carl Nichols

Re: Both courses at Rancho Canada in Carmel to close
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 05:47:05 PM »
Joel--
What's the best course east of Hwy 1 in the Carmel Valley area?  I've been there a few times but have never played one of the "inland" courses.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:00:02 PM by Carl Nichols »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
Monterey will miss two of the more affordable public courses in the area. I played many rounds on the west course to offset the costs of the more expensive venues. I remember one afternoon watching Bobby Clampett on the range there. At 18 he was scratch and I was about 18 hdcp. He put on a show for friends including stepping on a ball then taking a 1 iron and hitting the plugged ball about 250 yds straight down the middle. I dont remember there ever being any water in that "river" from May through October.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Sam Kestin

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 07:06:22 PM »
That's a shame.

I went to a Nike Golf Camp when I was like 13 that used to be based out of there. Reasonably decent courses as far as I can recall.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »
The PB caddies often slipped over after a round to play the Rancho Show.
Decent 36 hole facility with some solid holes.
Guess Clint can't get enough. He already took a conservation area out of that designation in the past, and built his Tepileashit golf course,  imposing a design on ground that had significant slope and water erosion issues. There are a couple of all-world GCA abortions on that routing.
We called it Harry's Dirty Woods;
it was yet another gross over-reach by a greedy fossil determined to have his little playground high on the hill, looking down over Cypress, PB and all the rest.
Sadly, a rather repugnent icon fawned over by those that aren't interested in the truth.
Laguna Seca, a sporty inland offering, is probably the best value proposation in the Carmel Valley.
Quail Lodge and Carmel Valley Ranch are also worth a go, though both have their warts.
Must try and get West to tee it up on those babies before they are gone.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Todd Eckenrode

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 11:32:12 AM »
I was disappointed to see this as well.  I used to really enjoy Rancho Canada as a kid.  Before knowing anything about architecture, I just liked the challenge of the holes over the river, the tall riparian trees there, etc.

Kris, get a look at Quail Lodge.  We renovated it very extensively and reopened last summer.  Bunkering turned out really well, introduced short-cut around all greens, removed about half the lakes, and introduced a deep swale on holes #1-3, and #16-17 for interest and strategy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back