News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Trump National Westchester (Jim Fazio) in Briarcliff Manor, NY
« on: September 04, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »
How does it compare with other Trump courses/clubs? Nice waterfall but how does the course play?
http://www.trumpnationalwestchester.com/

Is President Clinton still a member?

http://www.westchestermagazine.com/Westchester-Magazine/Golf-Guide-2011/Celebrity-Golfers-in-the-Hudson-Valley-Bill-Clinton-Donald-Trump-Mark-Wahlberg-Vera-Wang-and-More/

Here's some financial news about the club:
While Trump is busy campaigning for president, he managed to find time to seek a massive tax cut on his golf club in Westchester County, saying the 140-acre property, an 18-hole championship course, with a 75,000 square foot clubhouse with five overnight suites and approval to build 71 condominiums is worth only $1.4 million, less than many of the houses that border his course in Briarcliff Manor, one of the most expensive towns in Westchester. He hopes to pay only $47,000 in taxes a year, less than many of the homeowners in the town.

As the receiver of taxes said, “He’s going to pass the tax burden on to everybody else, and we still won’t get to play on his golf course.”

You can read the full story here:
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/2015/09/03/trump-seeks-90-percent-tax-cut-briarcliff-golf-club/71520582/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:42:24 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

corey miller

Re: Trump National Westchester (Jim Fazio) in Briarcliff Manor, NY
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
I would have to think that it is the Trump course with the least architectural pedigree. 

I do wonder why it matters if the receiver of taxes can or can't play at the facility. ???

What is a golf course worth in that I am sure the locals would object to any alternative uses?  Don't cut the tax bill and I can foresee Mr Trump selling the acre lots that would be taxed at a very high rate (lowering the burden for others as the article states). 

But then again, these people want a golf course (though probably not one owned by Trump) not Mcmansions that they would tax at $40,000 an acre when developed. 

I suspect Mr. Trump knows what it is "worth" as a golf club in his portfolio and what it will be worth if developed.   BTW, why argue, I think it is wonderful that president Clinton has a place to play for free.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 06:00:46 PM »
I would have to think that it is the Trump course with the least architectural pedigree. 

I do wonder why it matters if the receiver of taxes can or can't play at the facility. ???

What is a golf course worth in that I am sure the locals would object to any alternative uses?  Don't cut the tax bill and I can foresee Mr Trump selling the acre lots that would be taxed at a very high rate (lowering the burden for others as the article states). 

But then again, these people want a golf course (though probably not one owned by Trump) not Mcmansions that they would tax at $40,000 an acre when developed. 

I suspect Mr. Trump knows what it is "worth" as a golf club in his portfolio and what it will be worth if developed.   BTW, why argue, I think it is wonderful that president Clinton has a place to play for free.

Why would you wonder about playing privileges for the receiver? Drop a few hints and maybe he gets taken care of. Just a little envy politicking. Should work. At least worth a try.
Tim Weiman

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 12:11:55 AM »

Steve,

You've misrepresented the facts.

Trump NEVER claimed the property was only worth 1.4 million.

Please reread the article.

What wrong with a business asking for tax relief ?

Is the 1.4 million net of debt ?

I'm not a fan of the golf course, but I never played its predecessor.

How does it compare with other Trump courses/clubs? Nice waterfall but how does the course play?

http://www.trumpnationalwestchester.com/

Is President Clinton still a member?

http://www.westchestermagazine.com/Westchester-Magazine/Golf-Guide-2011/Celebrity-Golfers-in-the-Hudson-Valley-Bill-Clinton-Donald-Trump-Mark-Wahlberg-Vera-Wang-and-More/

Here's some financial news about the club:

While Trump is busy campaigning for president, he managed to find time to seek a massive tax cut on his golf club in Westchester County, saying the 140-acre property, an 18-hole championship course, with a 75,000 square foot clubhouse with five overnight suites and approval to build 71 condominiums is worth only $1.4 million, less than many of the houses that border his course in Briarcliff Manor, one of the most expensive towns in Westchester. He hopes to pay only $47,000 in taxes a year, less than many of the homeowners in the town.

As the receiver of taxes said, “He’s going to pass the tax burden on to everybody else, and we still won’t get to play on his golf course.”

You can read the full story here:
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/2015/09/03/trump-seeks-90-percent-tax-cut-briarcliff-golf-club/71520582/

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 10:14:01 AM »
I'm curious, Isn't this the same course that Herr Trump valued at more than $50 million in his recent financial disclosure statement?

If it is, that's a HUGE gap.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 12:41:01 PM »
 So Mr. Lynch, the general manager, states he was unaware of the aggressive move to lower the property tax. Yet over two months earlier he had signed  the petition.   Sounds like the perfect employee for Trump. He did not add how this will be of great benefit to the town of Ossining but I'm sure the Donald  if asked would state such.

Indeed, he brags about his wealth and the value of his golf courses. But  not  when it comes to taxes.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »
So Mr. Lynch, the general manager, states he was unaware of the aggressive move to lower the property tax. Yet over two months earlier he had signed  the petition.   Sounds like the perfect employee for Trump. He did not add how this will be of great benefit to the town of Ossining but I'm sure the Donald  if asked would state such.

Indeed, he brags about his wealth and the value of his golf courses. But  not  when it comes to taxes.

ickkk
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:49:44 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 12:07:29 AM »
Adam & Cliff,

Did the General Manager take the Fifth or destroy extensive documentation ?

Do you recall Supreme Court Justice Hand's admonition on taxes ?

Steve,

In the link YOU posted, it was the attorney, not Trump making that statement

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 05:00:33 AM »
Patrick, I asked a question. And, no, I'm unaware of the Hand jibe.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:05:26 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:59:55 AM »
Pat...are you aware of Kohlberg's stages of moral development?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 11:52:07 AM »
Pat,

The Complaint was filed by the attorney on behalf of the club and signed by the GM.It was linked in the article for everyone to see.  Do you really think he did this without authority from his client? Certainly it's the client who initiated these proceedings. I'd like to attend the hearing but my G5 is in for maintenance.

goldj

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 10:11:03 AM »
I've heard that they've had a difficult time retaining members and that the actual number of members is down quite a bit over the last year. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 05:00:46 PM »
Update:  It's now worth $9M according to Trump so he undervalued it by a lot on his previous candidate's worth estimate...

http://patch.com/new-york/larchmont/s/fqwmf/trump-claims-westchester-golf-club-worth-50m-his-lawyers-say-less

There are related links in this article.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:05:36 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 08:41:33 PM »
Why do folks worry about the veracity of DT’s words?  Isn’t it obvious he doesn’t care?  He’s selling.  What does truth or right have to do with that?  Say whatever the situation dictates.  All publicity is good publicity.

corey miller

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 09:22:33 AM »

There are a lot of apples getting mixed with oranges on this thread.  As a business the club is worth nothing.  If the locals choose to tax the man to death he will fight them and develop which in the end they will make an attempt to thwart.  What is the "value" to Mr. Trump of 80 one acre lots in Briarcliff?

goldj

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 09:36:39 AM »
Membership continues to drop at TNGC.  Word has it that they've lost more than a dozen members over the past year. 

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
Membership continues to drop at TNGC.  Word has it that they've lost more than a dozen members over the past year.

That doesn't strike me as a lot. I'd think even the best clubs lose a dozen members a year.

goldj

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »
that is true but, in this case, they haven't come close to replacing the people who left and total membership is down significantly since its peak. 

Phil Lipper

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 08:18:21 AM »
I'm sure the membership problem is directly related to the fact that its an expensive membership and a not so good golf course. To make matters worse obviously Westchester golfers have plenty of quality choices. The course was formerly called Briarwood and was bleeding money and sold to Trump, he did a major renovation but the layout is still only ok at best. 

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 08:50:41 AM »
I'm sure the membership problem is directly related to the fact that its an expensive membership and a not so good golf course. To make matters worse obviously Westchester golfers have plenty of quality choices. The course was formerly called Briarwood and was bleeding money and sold to Trump, he did a major renovation but the layout is still only ok at best.

I believe it was last known as "Briar Hall" prior to Trump. Trump bought it in a bankruptcy sale for $8MM and reportedly spent $30-$50MM on  the re-design, clubhouse, waterfall and adjacent land acquisition.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back