News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Olivas Links
« on: May 14, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »
Every once in a while you come across something of a surprise. I was playing golf with my nephew in California and staying at my brother-in-law's place in Oxnard. We had just played Sherwood and wanted to play more. We stumbled on this little gem. $21 and a barrel of fun. It played linksy and had some really good holes. Nice job Forrest Richardson.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:27:12 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill_McBride

Re: Olivias Links
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 11:20:25 PM »
I always enjoy playing Forrest's courses. 

Evan Fleisher

Re: Olivias Links
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »
Agreed...fun little place to play and a great bargain!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Scott Weersing

Re: Olivias Links (you mean, Olivas Links)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »
Ah yes, Olivas Links is a fun links course.

Here is a previous thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,28898.msg565359

I really enjoy the great greens and routing of the course. I played it back in January and it was strange to see all of the ponds dry and with grass and dirt. Perhaps they have filled up once again.

The course is fun because of the wind that comes off the ocean in the spring and summer. In the winter, the Santa Anas blow the other direction.

Kemper Sports does a great job managing the course and keeping it in good shape for all the play it gets. I thought it was strange that they painted the dormant fairways green in the winter, but it played fast and firm.

The course does not have the great bunkers you would expect on a links course but that is ok. It keeps the maintenance costs down.

My favorite holes: The fourth, a par five with a green that slopes from front to back. The ninth and 18th share a double green. And I like the 11th green with its punchbowl features.

Mark Kiely

Re: Olivas Links
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:15:32 PM »
I had driven by it a couple times and taken a look, which didn't do much to entice me to play it. But then I finally did, and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to get back out there.

In case anyone's interested in a more recent look at it, I have a Flickr album of 35 photos from last August here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24952137@N00/albums/72157655610026464/with/20808209310/
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 05:02:07 PM »
Glad you found it, Tommy. One of the drawbacks is not having a true clubhouse. I do applaud the City of Ventura for committing to the remake of both Olives and Buenaventura, but it has certainly hurt Olives Links to not get the clubhouse it so deserves. Fewer group outings and much less of a following is the reality when you simply do not have a place to congregate before and after.

Would be interesting to know what parts you liked best — hopefully the wind was not howling toward you at the 14th   ;D
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:20:05 AM »
Forest, I like the greens complexes the best. The wind was blowing pretty stridently so I needed to run the ball onto many of the low profile greens. My nephew only knew how to launch the ball into the air. He never even thought about a run up shot. He learned a bit about it that day. I thought the greens surrounds allowed for a great deal of imagination. Some places off the green could be putted, some chipped, and some flopped. There weren't many trees but the ones that were there made you think about ball placement. I also liked the native grasses. It gave it a links feel. It was fun and didn't beat you up. I'd go back if I were in the area.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
Great to hear. Sounds like you read our playbook!
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back