News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Disposable greens
« on: May 14, 2016, 09:52:22 PM »
Does any course redo/regrass their greens as often as TPC?

From dartboards on Thursday ....to silly on Saturday...to who knows on Sunday....to blown up and regrassed with the latest and greatest next week.

Whatever happened to simply maintaining the grass?rather than constantly tweaking, manipulating, replacing , super stimping, and whatever else they've done this week and in the past.

Random thoughts

6 hour rounds-brought to you by stupid speeds-coming soon to a golf course near you.

What's the opposite of sustainable?

Wouldn't it be cool to see dead greens with a lot less expense and effort?

Is there someone out there devising a way to increase green speed even more?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

Re: Disposable greens
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 10:09:34 PM »
More random thoughts:

As the secret tour pro says about playing at the home office, 300 guys in suits running around thinking they're your boss.
That's 300 salaries to pay, to 300 guys who all want to get paid more, so desperate for the idea that'll get noticed
Low interest rates, so 300 bigger houses to buy, trying to keep up with the USGA blue bloods and private club members
Mostly: emptiness and ennui and gnawing meaninglessness takes many forms -- for those less
fortunate, alcohol and drugs and violence, for the eggheads global transformation, and for the middle class golf industry type with aspirations to be Tim Finchem new grass and faster greens, every year
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:12:01 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 10:12:12 PM »
Jeff

University studies in the turfgrass world focus on genetic engineering and chemistry. Therein lies the answers to all our problems.

Why? "There's no money in doing less."
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 10:24:14 PM »

Jeff:

It's part of the tradition there.

When they opened the course there was an out-of-town membership available for (IIRC) $100.  At the suggestion of Deane Beman [one of the many people in golf I was corresponding with during Cornell winters], I joined, and played the course on four or five separate occasions between when it opened in 1981 and 1986.  Counting all the contouring changes to the greens [some of which happened before the first tournament], and the first re-grassing to bentgrass, I counted that I had putted on 55 or 56 different surfaces in my time as a member!

The bottom line is that the Sawgrass is the home of the PGA Tour, and the executives of the Tour want it seen as "cutting edge."  So you have a bunch of powerful guys who aren't experts in turf management making one change after another.  I'm sure they think, Augusta changes stuff every year, why can't we?

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »
Jeff,
Yes.  Someone somewhere is trying to make greens faster....while you are thinking about it check out   www.sweepnfill.com  this simple brush may be the best machine I have seen for greens and approaches and tees in a long time.  It actually allows a faster speed a a higher height of cut.  My new favorite toy....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 10:49:26 PM »
Mike,

Some of my favorite fixes are mechanical. Drill and fill too. 

Joe,

Let's not stereotype.  There has been great advances in turf grass enabling keepers to sleep better at night.  I love how the universities are right about global warming yet we criticize science in turf grass.  Is that not counter dicting?

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 10:55:19 PM »

I love how the universities are right about global warming yet we criticize science in turf grass.  Is that not counter dicting?

Did Ben just invent a new word or does North Carolina need another new law?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Greg Chambers

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 10:58:32 PM »
Peter.....I hope you don't think alcohol and drugs haven't been a stimuli to great ideas re turf management ;)

Mike...nice plug
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 11:18:36 PM »
Greg,
Are you involved with the sweep n fill dudes?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 11:24:59 PM »
Mike,

Some of my favorite fixes are mechanical. Drill and fill too. 

Joe,

Let's not stereotype.  There has been great advances in turf grass enabling keepers to sleep better at night.  I love how the universities are right about global warming yet we criticize science in turf grass.  Is that not counter dicting?

Ben,

I suspect most in this forum have serious doubts about Global Warming as well.

As for the constant tinkering and such, I would have thought that would happen on some type of practice area, where they could have pros hit balls to it, chip to it, and putt on it.... not on an actual golf course.  I for one think its absurd how much they waste on something that is more than good enough for 99.9% of courses.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 11:57:35 PM »
These guys are good ... Jason Day has 32 putts with a 4 putt the least comfortable he's ever been on with over the top greens ... I've had a handicap between +1 and 2 for years and probably have 32 or fewer putts 20% of the time on relatively easy greens.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 12:09:06 AM »
These guys are good ... Jason Day has 32 putts with a 4 putt the least comfortable he's ever been on with over the top greens ... I've had a handicap between +1 and 2 for years and probably have 32 or fewer putts 20% of the time on relatively easy greens.

Putting is a lot of the difference between a +1 and a +6 or +7.  You can't make up that many strokes tee to green!

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 01:50:28 AM »
Another perfect case for artificial greens - who can sanely argue against them?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 06:00:15 AM »
"There's no money in doing less."

Probably the truest reason as to why golf has gone down the insane and self destructive road of ever higher stimping greens and longer golf balls.

Jon

BCowan

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 07:06:18 AM »

From dartboards on Thursday ....to silly on Saturday...to who knows on Sunday....to blown up and regrassed with the latest and greatest next week.

Whatever happened to simply maintaining the grass?rather than constantly tweaking, manipulating, replacing , super stimping, and whatever else they've done this week and in the past.

Random thoughts

6 hour rounds-brought to you by stupid speeds-coming soon to a golf course near you.

What's the opposite of sustainable?

Wouldn't it be cool to see dead greens with a lot less expense and effort?

Is there someone out there devising a way to increase green speed even more?

I agree with everything you stated. The model was flawed since day one at TPC.  I turned this on yest to asst in my nap. I woke up to see some clown chest bump his caddie. TV then went off  ::)

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 09:11:58 AM »
I got it.

Stimp them at 20

Players will then evolve to the point where they drive all 18 greens (from physical conditioning of course-not equipment)
The real skill of course will be ONLY hitting a SW 180 to keep it on the island green....

and they can average 3 putts per green.

Agronomists will be happy,(or at least turf suppliers-both real and artificial)
Supers will be rock stars
Putting teachers will be busy
Architects and deshapers will be busy.
Golf coverage won't change as they only show putting anyway and there will be plenty of it

Win-win

BCowan

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 09:22:07 AM »
Jeff,

"It takes patience to be a happy golfer"

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 10:01:23 AM »
Jeff,
Yes.  Someone somewhere is trying to make greens faster....while you are thinking about it check out   www.sweepnfill.com  this simple brush may be the best machine I have seen for greens and approaches and tees in a long time.  It actually allows a faster speed a a higher height of cut.  My new favorite toy....

We bought such a brush at our golf course two years ago. It works very well. Especially for filling holes with sand quickly and effectively after aeration. Effect on green speed is limited though. We aim at healthy grass and sustainability. In our Northern European climate, we use a traditional mixture of fescue and colonial bent on our greens. Height of cut is 5mm. With frequent rolling and top dressing we achieve green speeds around 8.5. Snail's pace for the pros, but our members are happy.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »
Is it just my TV, or have those greens turned a copper/tan color.  Can't say I've ever seen greens with that color, and I know I've never seen Brown greens with Green Fairways...its always visa versa as per Open courses.

BCrosby

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 05:29:04 PM »
Mike -

We bought that machine at Cherokee. Lives up to the hype.

Bob

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 06:56:54 PM »
Jeff,

We bought such a brush at our golf course two years ago. It works very well. Especially for filling holes with sand quickly and effectively after aeration. Effect on green speed is limited though. We aim at healthy grass and sustainability. In our Northern European climate, we use a traditional mixture of fescue and colonial bent on our greens. Height of cut is 5mm. With frequent rolling and top dressing we achieve green speeds around 8.5. Snail's pace for the pros, but our members are happy.

Ditto.  It's a really good product, however it does nothing for greens speed on it's own. 
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

SB

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 07:00:32 PM »
Jeff,

Awesome for aerification.  Fills holes perfectly. 

Mike_Young

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 11:12:03 PM »
Jeff,

Ditto.  It's a really good product, however it does nothing for greens speed on it's own.
On ultradwarf we brush the greens in circles ahead of mowing and it does increase speed vs. not doing so and it also helps remove grain...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back