News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Changes to TPC Sawgrass
« on: May 14, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
The telecast has mentioned that the course will be re-worked and lengthened.  Does anyone know of any details?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Josh Stevens

Re: Changes to TPC Sawgrass
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 12:00:18 AM »
filling in pond on 17th hopefully.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »

That would be like going to the theater with your girlfriend and watching the movie with the lights on.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Rees Milikin

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »

Replace the water with sand and add some wispy grass... ::)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »

That would be like going to the theater with your girlfriend and watching the movie with the lights on.....
And watching "On Golden Pond"...no, "Fried Green Tomatoes"...or maybe "Terms of Endearment"....wait, no, a *golf* movie
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:07:24 AM by Peter Pallotta »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »
Filling in the pond on 17 would so change the character of the course. I love 16 and 17 there, makes for a lot of drama. A tension filled tee shot. I always thought 18 was a little weak as a finishing hole.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matthew Rose

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »
I thought I read that they were going to change #12 to make it driveable but I can't remember where I saw this.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
I thought I read that they were going to change #12 to make it driveable but I can't remember where I saw this.

And lengthen it the following year to keep it relevant. ....

jumping the shark
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dave McCollum

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 07:00:49 PM »
I jumped in here with a similar question about Quail Hollow, re-grassing after just three years.  One commenter about my post said something to the effect of "why wouldn't they want to improve their club?"  I won't repeat my take here, but perhaps, just perhaps, if there is one course that seeks to perfect Florida pro tournament golf, it might be this one.  To me, especially when I get a glance of the 77K sq ft house, I have some questions about the examples being made and their impact on the game.  OTOH, if someone comes up with some new strain of ultradwarf grass and wants a high profile place to test it, this might be it.     

Scott Weersing

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 12:18:45 PM »
Here is a summary of the changes from Geoff S.

"the greens will be dug up and replaced with a new strain of Bermuda after the tournament. As part of an extensive renovation, additional hole locations at the first, fourth, eighth, ninth, 11th, 13th and 14th should help facilitate everyday guest play. Some additional pine needle and scrub areas off the fairways are being considered as well, and a completely re-imagined 12th hole will inject a drivable par 4 before the tough finishing stretch.[/size] "
[/size]
[/size]I like the idea of a drivable par 4. I guess it would be 300 yards in length like no. 17 at TPC Scottsdale.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »
I had assumed there would be some lengthening.  Extend 18th tee back and into the pond.  Make them all hit Driver.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

AChao

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 02:13:56 PM »
I remember reading they were going to put in a water feature on 12 to make it an exciting, drive-able par 4.  What I don't get is the commentary was for the hole to be more birdie-able before the tough final holes.  Granted, I've only played there twice, but the ending holes to me aren't particularly difficult -- sure you can make a huge number faster if you hit in the water, but I actually found the front nine much harder to score on than the back 9.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 09:02:53 PM »
I feel like Sawgrass doesn't need another water hole. The 12th, as is, is a nice break. After the 12th, 5 of the last 6 holes have water in play. I always thought it would be cool if Dye made the approach shot totally blind, like at Old Marsh.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »
I feel like Sawgrass doesn't need another water hole. The 12th, as is, is a nice break. After the 12th, 5 of the last 6 holes have water in play. I always thought it would be cool if Dye made the approach shot totally blind, like at Old Marsh.

I was always under the impression #12 was supposed to be like #5 at Long Cove or #5 here, at Old Marsh-The closer the tee shot to the hazard, the better angle and view of the putting surface. There is plenty of water at TPC.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back