News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Montle

I had a dream.  (Inspired by Peter P.?

Prestwick held a Restricted Flight Invitational Golf Tournament.  All professional golfers who had espoused restrictions on the liveliness of golf balls were invited.  The balls used could be of any size, but they had to float in distilled water at 15 degrees C. 
Media attention was minimal, but increased after the tournament when it was learned that many pros from the US Senior tour were whipping their younger counterparts.  The R&A and USGA reminded everyone this was not a sanctioned tournament and the results were unofficial.

The tournament was repeated the following year with a larger field, which had to be limited because of the increased interest among the professionals.  Bubba Watson said that he loved the new ball and could  make it do tricks.  He claimed that it once curved so much that it almost boomeranged and hit him in the back. 

The third year it was televised worldwide, and some viewers were amazed by the skill of the golfers as they maneuvered the ball into the stiff headwinds and sidewinds.  Others were turned off by some pros putting from the tees into the wind on some holes.  Bubba won and credited his new Hybrid One-Iron.

By the fourth year, NGLA and Merion also hosted Classic Golf Tournaments (as some were calling them) , along with Machrihanish and the rebuilt Machrie, and a mini tour was born.  At the Machrie, fans turned out in droves despite the hardships in getting there and the very limited accomodations.  They loved the local 'spirits' and were thrilled to be able to camp out in tents alongside the professionals. Boo Weekley played and held a fish fry on the beach each evening, amidst the many campfires of the fans and players.  A legend was born about this tournament.

Ten years later there were over five million people claiming to have attended that initial Machrie event!

I awoke – remembering the ferry ride to Islay with golfers and fellow fans, and the fun I had at that initial Machrie event – then realized it had all been a dream.

Dang.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

John Chilver-Stainer

Re: The Prestwick Invitational Restricted Flight Tournament
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:24:18 PM »
wow 5 million at the Machrie at the same time, Islay would have partially tilted into the sea and the distilleries drunk dry overnight.

Bob Montle

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:26:46 PM »
Weren't there 20 million at Woodstock?  ::)

Anyway, I would like to live in a world where my dream was reality.
Visualize camping on the Islay beach vs the clubhouse at the TPC
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:35:50 PM »
Bob - I'm flattered (and, btw, thanks for the kind words in other posts, which have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated).  That's a very fine piece of writing (many especially good bits, including "Bubba Watson said that he loved the new ball and could  make it do tricks; he claimed that it once curved so much that it almost boomeranged and hit him in the back.) The two most striking things about your "dream" are a) how realistically detailed it is, and b) how much sheer fun this tournament would be, from both the players' and the fans' perspectives. I like playing (and even watching) golf quite a bit; but isn't it odd that what should be a "game" can become as dull as dishwater, and that enlivening type ideas like yours are considered "dreams"?

Peter

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:38:12 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Neil Regan

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »
wow 5 million at the Machrie at the same time, Islay would have partially tilted into the sea and the distilleries drunk dry overnight.

Can't let that go by without this:

The single greatest moment in the history of Congress.

Peaks at 1.15.

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 12:24:59 PM »
Neil that's classic,

I don't think I could have sat there and refrained from laughing, much less said with a straight face  "We don't anticipate that..."....lol!!  ;D

Tim Gallant

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 02:23:17 PM »
Neil that's classic,

I don't think I could have sat there and refrained from laughing, much less said with a straight face  "We don't anticipate that..."....lol!!  ;D

Never seen that before, but certainly is one of the funniest videos I have seen in a long time :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back