News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Lewis

Chicago Golf Heritage Society event -- June 7, 2016
« on: May 10, 2016, 05:01:13 PM »

The Chicago Golf Heritage Society will host its Spring Meeting at Beverly CC in early June; event details below.

For those interested, please contact Rick Holland for more information -- Rick.Holland711(at)gmail(dot)com.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 05:03:03 PM by Andrew Lewis »

Andrew Lewis

Re: Chicago Golf Heritage Society event -- June 7, 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »
More info on the CGHS:

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
Andrew:

I'm shocked that the CGHS doesn't recognize George O'Neil in its write up of Beverly.  Perhaps you can bring it up at the meeting.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 06:18:12 PM »
Andrew:

I'm shocked that the CGHS doesn't recognize George O'Neil in its write up of Beverly.  Perhaps you can bring it up at the meeting.

Sven

Hi Sven -

On the off chance you aren't trolling me on behalf of Mr Holland, I'd recommend reaching out to him directly on that topic -- he has compiled a fairly impressive trove of historical items related to Mr O'Neil and his involvement at the club.

Cheers, Andrew

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 06:40:03 PM »
Andrew:

Sven

Sven, I'd guess both Terry and I will bring up George and his original layout over the course of our talks.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:30:07 AM »
These are great events and a worthy group to support.  I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in the history of this fine club (and city).  The opportunity to play the Bev is merely icing on the cake.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 04:55:16 PM »
Club Historians,

This will be a premiere event of the season in Chicago.  Tim Cronin and Terry Lavin will give excellent historical perspective to all attendees.  I only wish I were in town to join in the festivities!

By the way, I played Beverly today and it is in fantastic shape. 

Cheers,
Paul
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 11:27:10 PM »
And if anyone needs ANOTHER reason to attend, come out to meet Dick Carparelli, who in his 99 years has spent the last 70 years of said life here at the BCC....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/sports/ct-sta-pat-disabato-column-st-0504-20160503-story.html

Pro Emeritus for good reason!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

john_stiles

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 09:09:22 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful event, and it would be a great treat to play Beverly again.

Cannot make it but enjoy bringing the topic back in case someone missed it.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 10:54:17 AM »
A couple of very early photos of Beverly.

The Inter Ocean - Jan. 26, 1908

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »
Once again, the CGHS put on a great event.  We really need to get more young GCA blood involved in these IMO.  It's a double whammy of great, detailed GCA history, combined with a soupcon of Chicago history.  Personally, I can't get enough of it and I'm not nearly the most navel-gazing among us (perhaps because I can no longer see my navel!).  Kudos to all those involved.  Tim C., Rick H. [who's put together an awesome trove of original George O'Neill articles (Sven, white courtesy phone)] and of course The Judge, without whom any visit to the Bev doesn't quite go to 11.  The next presentation/outing is tentatively on 10/7 in conjunction with the Donald Ross Society's visit to the best city in America.  Details to follow...Get involved...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Terry Lavin

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 06:34:40 PM »
We had a fun, and hopefully informative day. The next meeting is tentatively set for Evanston GC which I joined last year. It's a stern test of a Ross/Prichard (sound familiar?) golf course and a club that is very focused on its history. Let's try to get a good sized contingent mobilized!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JReese

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 10:55:48 PM »
I think the quote of the day would have to go to Judge Lavin when discussing the ongoing tree removal at BCC....."I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.  It smells like VICTORY!"

"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Steve Green

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 11:24:37 PM »
Just a great day.  Beverly as a club has a terrific vibe and an exceptional golf course.  Thanks to Terry, Rick and Kirk for providing a thorough overview of the course and its history.  Tim added a flavor of the history of events there.  Always enjoy playing this Ross/Prichard gem and even more so due to the guys in the group (Dave, Jud, Terry and Kent).  Let me know when we can do it again, I am free that day.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Andrew Buck

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »
Once again, the CGHS put on a great event.  We really need to get more young GCA blood involved in these IMO.  It's a double whammy of great, detailed GCA history, combined with a soupcon of Chicago history.  Personally, I can't get enough of it and I'm not nearly the most navel-gazing among us (perhaps because I can no longer see my navel!).  Kudos to all those involved.  Tim C., Rick H. [who's put together an awesome trove of original George O'Neill articles (Sven, white courtesy phone)] and of course The Judge, without whom any visit to the Bev doesn't quite go to 11.  The next presentation/outing is tentatively on 10/7 in conjunction with the Donald Ross Society's visit to the best city in America.  Details to follow...Get involved...

Jud,

Not sure if 40's counts as young blood, but this golf geek would truly love to make one of these, and there never is a good reason to pass up a chance at the Bev.  Unfortunately the professional side of the ledger has dominated too much time recently, but hopefully it will free up a bit to hit Evanston in Skokie this fall.

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 02:00:04 PM »
Thanks to everyone for making this happen and making a first time participant feel welcome.  It was definitely worth the juggling I had to do so I could make it.  I'm looking forward to the Fall meeting.

-Joe

Mark Smolens

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 07:48:12 PM »
We had a fun, and hopefully informative day. The next meeting is tentatively set for Evanston GC which I joined last year. It's a stern test of a Ross/Prichard (sound familiar?) golf course and a club that is very focused on its history. Let's try to get a good sized contingent mobilized!

Trying to get  back up to that 14 club limit your Honor??

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 10:20:15 PM »
It was a fun morning. Agree that Terry's assessment of the smell of sawdust was the winning line of the day. I tried to contribute what I could.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back