News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

I recently came across a small book/long essay by Robert D. Rickey, a long time executive with MacGregor and son of Clarence Rickey (cousin of baseball's Branch Rickey), who'd taken over the company during the Depression.  It is a nicely (and it seems to me astutely/factually) written account of the golfing scene/industry from the 1900s to the 1970s. I thought some of you might enjoy it. Here are just a couple of tidbits (and I've saved one of the best bits for last):

"In 1897, the Crawford, McGregor & Canby Company of Dayton, Ohio made its first golf club. This was about a year after Spalding had made the first golf club in this country. In order to be able to manufacture irons as well as woods, a forge shop was added to McGregor's [the name was later changed to MacGregor's] existing facilities....Their plant and offices were located on the near west side of Dayton in an area called Westmont and were on six acres of land. Their total employment had reached approximately 50 people. They also owned a lumber mill in Gaylord, Michigan, where during the peak of the logging season, they employed between 150 and 200 people. By 1910, Crawford, McGregor & Canby... were becoming internationally known in golf; in fact, their outstanding persimmon wood heads and hickory shafts were in demand everywhere golf was played, but especially in England and Scotland, to whom they were already exporting over 100,000 units annually."

"Americans greeted the Twenties with a zest never again equaled and were especially drawn to sports and the "super" stars they produced. The decade was appropriately called "The Roaring Twenties", during which the public's interest in sports reached an unbelievable height. Star athletes were canonized and names like Jack Dempsey, Earl Sande, Bobby Jones and Bill Tilden became household words. However, Americans also decided it was time to participate themselves and thousands flocked to take up golf. By 1927, there were 4,800 golf courses in the U.S., which the game's scorekeepers, the National Golf Foundation, estimate were over 80% private country clubs. By 1929, this figure grew to 5,856, of which 78% were private country clubs."

"Rickey was an officer of the Medinah Country Club and was the person responsible for hiring Tommy Armour as Medinah's s club professional.  Armour, who already was considered one of the game's all-time great players, also was a most unusual and charming man. However, he also was under contract to Spalding, but the minute it expired, he joined his old friend, Clarence Rickey, at MacGregor. Together they put together a ·marketing plan (although they undoubtedly did not call it that) that did the following:

1. Created the first complete line of Pro-only golf equipment, the Tommy Armour Silver Scot Tourney Line.
2. Developed an entire new line of models, which were selected by Armour, but then refined by his young assistant at Medinah, an Italian named Toney Penna.
3. Changed the spelling of McGregor to MacGregor and began leaning on its Scotch origin in their advertising...
5. Demanded an entire new philosophy which was created within the company, in which anything involved with a customer was to be highly personalized. Also, Rickey personally respected the club professional and refused to have anyone around him that did not share this respect, which necessitated replacing the entire Credit Department and several other key inside people and salesmen...
6. Rickey became personally involved with every employee and their families through company sponsored activities, at which he rebuilt their pride, both in MacGregor and their skills as clubmakers...
8. De-emphasized the effort to sell the retail market. In fact, it was his goal to build the Pro business to being 70-75% of their total sales, or exactly the opposite that it had become in the Twenties under the previous management.
9. Established a promotion program that encouraged club professionals to use MacGregor clubs personally by developing a special Custom Club Department to which the most skilled clubmakers only were assigned. To head up this program, Rickey induced Toney Penna, who had just started a job as a head pro at a Chicago club, to join
MacGregor on a full-time basis....In 1938, Penna recommended three young, but yet unestablished Tour players: Ben Hogan, Bryon Nelson and Jimmy Demaret, all of whom Rickey signed immediately with hand-shakes and for a total investment of less than $5,000"

"It did not take long after Pearl Harbor for MacGregor to feel the impact of World War II. In fact, on March 1, 1942 the government declared golf equipment a "non-essential" product and issued an edict that all work-in-process must be-completed by June 30 after which they were to convert to making products needed in the war effort. It also forbid them to buy any more materials such as shafts, leather grips, plastic adapters, etc. to use on golf clubs for civilian use. Of course, it also stopped the making of golf bags and golf balls on the same date..."

"In the immediate post-war years of 1947-49, the Tommy Armour model continued to be the top selling club on the pro market. A Byron Nelson Tourney model was added in 1948 and while it was an exact duplicate of the Armour, it never was accepted, although his name sold well on medium and low price clubs.  Louise Suggs, the US Amateur champion, turned professional and joined MacGregor in 1949, and a line of Suggs ladies' clubs in all three price ranges was added to the line. Ben Hogan and Jimmy Demaret's names were featured on the Dealer line, but which MacGregor continued to treat with a secondary interest..."

"The introduction of the MT [line of clubs, in 1950] was also the beginning of the end for the Tommy Armour model as a sales leader, even though all of its Playing Staff continued to use the Armour model, except Lionel Herbert, after trying the MT and finding that they preferred the Armour. This was a revelation to MacGregor, for it was the first time that a top selling pro club was not the same model that the ·top players used -- and it also was a forewarning of what was to follow many years later when the consumer demanded the aluminum shaft and later Ping and Lynx clubs, even though the club pro initially disapproved of them..."

"Penna followed up his MT success with a series of innovations, which were timed to be introduced every second year. For example, in 1952, he introduced the Eye-O-Matic woods, which in essence were the first tri-colored face inserts that were also over-sized and were advertised that they increased the hitting surface, which they obviously did. However, they also required that MacGregor's magnificent head models be modified to accomodate the larger inserts, which in the opinion of many was the beginning of MacGregor losing its superiority as wood makers. You never would have  suspected this though at the time, as the Eye-O-Matic woods like the MT irons before them captured the markets..."

"In fact, everything went well for MacGregor in the 50's, except the golf ball. They had changed the name from Tourney to MT trying to benefit from the impetus of the club line, but that  did not seem to help. However, the final blow occurred in 1953, when Ben Hogan resigned rather than agree to use the Tourney (it was renamed again) in competition. Hogan, who was at the time the best pIayer in the world, had been allowed to use competitor's balls until MacGregor felt that their ball was equal to competitors. Prior to the US Open at Pittsburgh in June of 1953, Hogan had been asked to spend a couple of days in Cincinnati to witness a series of tests that MacGregor hoped would convince him that the Tourney was as good as other top balls, but especially the Spalding Dot, which Ben was using. Ben co-operated and spent three days watching every known test, all in which the Tourney proved to be equal if not superior to competition's balls. One entire day was spent showing Ben that the Tourney was equal or better on a mechanical driving machine that MacGregor had installed at one of the local country clubs. The final session was conducted by Toney Koegel, in which he reviewed all the tests that Ben had seen. Up to this time, Ben had uttered nothing more than a grunt the entire three days, that is until Koegel said, 'Ben, you have seen conclusive proof that the Tourney is now a good golf ball, one that you can use with confidence when you play in the US Open next week. The driving machine should have proven this to you if nothing else did.' Hogan was completely silent for several minutes, but then he replied, 'I would suggest that you enter the f---ing driving machine in the US Open.'"

Anyway, for those who like old golf clubs and industry history, I thought you might enjoy

Peter

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:05:14 PM by Peter Pallotta »

MCirba

Re: OT - A bit of American Golf Industry history, via MacGregor
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:20:07 PM »
Interesting, Peter.

A coupla' things and perhaps you can take the OT moniker off this thread.

Evidently it was pro and course designer Robert White who was first involved with the idea that clubs could be manufactured instead of hand-made.

Further, there was evidently an arm of MacGregor Sporting Goods that you could contract with in the 1920s (and possibly other time periods as well) that would design a golf course for you.

Does anyone know which architects they employed??
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 04:56:47 PM »
MacGregor never did get better at making golf balls.

I have heard both Tom Weiskopf and Ben Crenshaw, on separate occasions, opine that the best year anyone ever had in golf was Jack Nicklaus' 1980 campaign that included two major championships, because he did it playing the prototypes of the Tourney VIP irons and the MacGregor ball ... which both Tom and Ben were contractually obligated to play that season.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 08:13:23 PM »
Mike - the essay doesn't mention the golf design-construction angle at all, but does state that Mr. Canby was an avid golfer, and that when he established the plant in Dayton the first thing he did was have a 9 hole course built next to it for his employees (perhaps the first such undertaking in America).

Tom - Thanks for that; as you may know, I have great admiration for JN the golfer, and two of the most interesting modern day golfers for me are Weiskopf and Crenshaw (along with Trevino), so that's a great story. Also, it gives an added little twist to Tom W's great call at 16 during the 86 Masters. i.e. the famous "If I knew how he thought I would've won this tournament". 

I found it interesting that, as with golf design, it is striking how early the "cross-Atlantic" process of learning/sharing/borrowing/selling began vis-ŕ-vis equipment.  I would've never imagined that an American firm would be selling hickory shafted woods to GB&I  (instead of the other way around), especially not as early as 1910. Also striking was the enormous growth of the game just before the Depression -- if those numbers are right, there were a thousand courses built in America in just 2 years!  (Though, if the law of averages hold in such things, I'd bet about 900 of them were terrible!) 

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 08:50:59 PM »
My first full set of clubs was the MacGregor Nicklaus "Golden Bear" set and I brought a club or two to Scotland last fall for my 1000th course.   Hit some fun shots including a sweet 185 yard 3 iron on the 5th at Old Musselburgh Links for a birdie.   I also have a few of the same named golf balls but as Tom mentioned, they never quite reached a level of quality relative to their other products but I still love the look and logo.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:59:37 PM »
While my memory is not great on this, a somewhat related tidbit is that here in the Fox Cities (Green Bay-Appleton) area, a local pro and club maker named Bob Burns bought the outdated and idle MacGregor lathing or turning machines that crafted the drivers and fairway woods.  Bob had some interesting processes to create some beautiful golf clubs.  Several celebrities had him make their woods.  Bob is still active at his learning center in Appleton passing the craft on to his son Robbie.  I regret that I didn't have him make me a set of his custom woods, just for show.  I've seen several sets that were exquisite and many wood varieties and laminated layered designs and finish stains.  Of course, I wouldn't be able to hit them well either....  ::)

http://www.bobburnsgolf.com/content/jumbo-laminated-maple-woods
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 12:26:14 AM »
I have a MT driver and three wood that Nicklaus used in college. I played with them for a while until I got nervous about messing them up. I sent them to MacGregor to refinish them. They are beautiful. Same shaft and grips from  the time I was given them by a teammate of Nicklaus'.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 07:49:40 AM »
Tommy - according to Mr. Rickey, the young JN presented a unique situation re endorsement,  I.e. he was already playing MacGregor equipment and had made it clear that he wasn't about to play anything else. But at the same time, he had just signed on with Mark McCormack (sp), who was determined to negotiate the best endorsement deal he could. MacGregor decided to simply cut to the chase and offered by far the biggest endorsement contract they ever had --$100,000 for 3 years. Jack then promptly went out and beat Arnold for the US Open, and thus started a beautiful friendship

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:25:45 AM »
Just had the thought that instead of changing the specs on golf ball technology, they should just award the contract for making golf balls for the PGA Tour to MacGregor, and maybe we wouldn't have to update the courses!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 08:31:25 AM »
 :)
Yes, and award them the contract for the irons and woods too and you'd be going in to *remove* the back tee all across the country...

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 09:25:09 AM »
The reason I mentioned the golf design angle with MacGregor comes primarily from the following article http://lancasteronline.com/news/overlook-links-time-machine/article_8bed3654-9d79-52b4-a5b1-34eb114cdc32.html
 , as follows, related to a public course called Overlook GC near Lancaster, PA.  From the article;

The creation of the course inspired by Abe Dombach was written about recently in "From the Beginning - A History of Manheim Township," a book by C. Nat Netscher, a retired Manheim Township resident.

"Abe Dombach's doctor suggested that if Abe 'wanted to linger around for a while, he should start getting fresh air.' Dombach then took up golf and was a head of building the golf course," Netscher said.

In January 1928, a crew of laborers and tractors was organized and a contractual agreement was made with MacGregor Sporting Goods Co. to design a golf course.

Seven months later, on July 1, the course began welcoming its first golfers.

For the first month, everyone was allowed to play for free. After that, it was 50 cents a day, regardless of how many holes were played.

Interestingly, in trying to dig into the architect of the original 9 holes of Lancaster CC, circa 1913, it seems that one "John McGregor" was hired as their pro around this time.   I'm not sure if there's any connection to "THE", John McGregor of McGregor sporting goods but it's possible.

As far as the Robert White connection, this link from Peter Trenham's terrific historical website tells the story;

http://trenhamgolfhistory.org/PTHGTreasureTrove29.html

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 09:42:30 AM »
Mike - here's a bit more history:

In 1829, Archibald Crawford founded the Dayton Shoe Last Company, and eventually invented a lathe to turn shoe lasts (that later, and for the next 100 years until just after WWII, was used turn golf club heads.)  Another Crawford took over the company in 1855, and was joined by one "John McGregor" in 1874.  Now, THIS John McGregor (I don't   know if he is the one you reference, but he may well be) eventually got "withdrawal symptoms for the weather of his native Scotland, and so sold his interest in the company and returned to St. Andrews". But before he left he introduced his friend Edward Canby to the game of golf and got him to include a trip to Scotland on Canby's annual European vacation. Canby got hooked on golf and, by 1897, he had become a partner with McGregor in the Dayton Shoe Last Company and, after renaming it The Crawford,  McGregor and Canby Company, started producing golf clubs (as well as shoe lasts). The essay doesn't say when John McGregor left the company/America 

Jim_Kennedy

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

MCirba

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 10:20:32 AM »
Awesome stuff, Mr. Kennedy.   Thanks for the info.

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 11:01:40 AM »
Peter P. -

Thanks for the post and the info. In the 1980's (when "vintage" persimmon woods were in demand) I inherited a set of MacGregor Louise Suggs persimmon woods. I had the driver refinished and reshafted with a men's length shaft. The club played well and received numerous compliments from strangers.

DT
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:28:57 PM by David_Tepper »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »
Unfortunately, MacGregor is now a "value" brand owned by Golfsmith.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 03:26:41 PM »
"Unfortunately, MacGregor is now a "value" brand owned by Golfsmith."

And Tommy Armour/Silver Scot is a value brand owned by Sports Authority. But if Sports Authority goes belly-up, as they are close to doing, maybe that brand will be for sale on the cheap.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 04:59:22 PM »
I don't believe that the once prominent brands, like Armour, MacGregor, Ram, Wilson, PowerBilt, can ever rebuild themselves once they have become known as "Value" lines of equipment.

How long the new Ben Hogan co. remains in business is yet to be seen, although I think they were very well funded. 

Ed: I have to wonder how many Tour players would be willing to play a set of clubs with another, albeit former, player's name on them? 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:14:45 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Andy Stamm

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 04:34:02 PM »
MacGregor never did get better at making golf balls.

I have heard both Tom Weiskopf and Ben Crenshaw, on separate occasions, opine that the best year anyone ever had in golf was Jack Nicklaus' 1980 campaign that included two major championships, because he did it playing the prototypes of the Tourney VIP irons and the MacGregor ball ... which both Tom and Ben were contractually obligated to play that season.

The ball may have been a dog, but his clubs at that time were first rate. He used them from '80-'83. Those were the prototypes that become the Pro 81 forging that then was renamed the Pro 86 forging after Jack used them again to win the '86 Masters. The Pro 86 forging was used for the Muirfield 20ths as well. Outside of that Jack used clubs based on the Pro 82 forging from '83-2015 (30+ years!) including his Nicklaus clubs which were still made by Don White, Clay Long, Jack Wulkotte, and MacGregor. But the Pro 82s and Pro 86s (nee Pro 81s) were very similar. So he liked the irons enough to use them and others virtually identical for years starting in '80.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »
A couple of related followup items.

The Les Cheneux Club in Michigan is noted in the 1900 Harpers as having been laid out by W. M. Derby and W. H. Crawford, the latter being associated with Crawford, MacGregor & Canby.

John MacGregor, the Overlook GC pro noted by Mike above, was later the pro at Auburn CC in NY. There were a few other early pros with the same last name, including a James MacGregor who was responsible for changes to Potsdam CC around 1923.  My guess is there was no connection to the owners of the sporting goods company besides a fairly common Scottish last name.

There were a few earlier "employee courses," the Armour GC in Chicago being one (dating to around 1902) and the United Shoe Machinery Course (n/k/a Beverly CC) being another preceding MacGregor by 3 years.  I've copied an August 1953 Golfdom article on industry courses below.

It is my understanding that the MacGregor employee course was actually built by the employees.  I'm not sure who laid it out.

July 1917 Golf Illustrated -

Aug. 1927 Golf Illustrated -

Sept. 1927 Golf Illustrated -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Bruce Leland

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 09:03:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing Peter. As an avid collector of playable classic clubs during the 70's - 90's (and being a horder) I have a few hundred Oil Hardened MacGregor clubs including all of the lines mentioned herein. I still enjoy the look and feel of persimmon and the sound and feel of a well struck shot of a balata covered ball on a fiber insert.

Those days are gone but the implements remain. Thanks for the memories.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 11:00:31 AM »
Bruce - if you'd like, PM me your email and I'll send you the entire booklet as a PDF. It has much more than I included on the equipment side.
Peter

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 01:30:48 PM »
Mike - the essay doesn't mention the golf design-construction angle at all, but does state that Mr. Canby was an avid golfer, and that when he established the plant in Dayton the first thing he did was have a 9 hole course built next to it for his employees (perhaps the first such undertaking in America).

Any mention of the name of the 9 hole course? Does it still exist?
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 12:34:35 AM »
A little follow up on MacGregor's golf design business.

The following Sept. 16, 1926 The Daily Independent article discusses the formation of Marion Golf Club, which was laid out by W. B. Seins of MacGregor.  The article notes Seins had laid out over a hundred courses, which was news to me as this is the first time I've heard of him.

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

MCirba

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 10:10:19 PM »
Awesome find, Sven...thanks!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back