News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

The two most irritating courses in the world are Royal Worlington & Newmarket and Wolf Point. Why can’t we play courses this good all the time as opposed to ever so rarely?!

They both demonstrate that you don't need great land to have great golf. Alas, you need something more elusive: great architecture layered on top of firm playing surfaces.

Both courses employ a similar, winningly simple recipe:
*         Bunkers: placed only where someone is likely to want to hit it; otherwise, why build it? In the case of Wolf Point, 60 get the job done.

*         Greens: complex and intense; building up green pads to make interesting targets is the easiest, most cost effective way to create engaging golf on featureless land.

*         Short grass: plenty of it. It scares good players, they lose control when their ball drifts and the weaker player is comfortable, watching his ball bumble along and knowing he can get a clean strike on his next shot, even if it is with the putter.

*         Playing surfaces: firm, bouncy-bounce and as the legend Don Mahaffey notes, only maintain things that make the golf better.

*         Routing: compact, walker friendly with 18 holes done in under three hours.

Only the trees tell you that this Double Green isn't at St. Andrews.

So ... why don't more courses/clubs follow suit? Honestly? How many of the ~16,000 in the United States vaguely fit the bill? Fewer than 100? For sure, less than 200. That’s ~ 1% - Yikes!

For those of us who study this stuff, it's irritating on several levels. First, we should have many more 'great' courses – what a disservice has been perpetrated on us golfers, especially in America. Second, when did needlessly blowing through money become chic? Third, none of this is a revelation: the right formula was revealed decades ago yet we blunder along today.

There are a few rays of hope out there: Rustic Canyon, Wild Horse, Common Ground, St. Andrews Beach but we desperately need more people, especially developers, to see and embrace this brand of inexpensive joy.

See if you agree after reading its profile, found here:
http://golfclubatlas.com/wolf-point-ranch/

The commonsense approach on display at Wolf Point yields thrilling golf. In my opinion, it isn't a way forward, it is the way forward.

Best,

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:57:16 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Adam_Messix

Re: Wolf Point Ranch profile posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »
Ran--

Great profile on an outstanding golf course.  You covered it well.  The only thing I can add that I thought was cool was the roll in front of the green on the par 3 12th.  It's a subtle hazard that does not require special maintenance but yet can perplex the player.  I've never understood why it is not used more. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 03:18:19 PM »
A good friend and I traveled to Wolf Point recently where we played four rounds over two days. We've had several discussions since, where he insists that, though he had a great time, and says he loved the course, Wolf Point is a "Doak 6" ::) . Sadly, we're no longer friends  ;D  as I believe that number is way off. I have it among my top 25 played and have serious doubts that the definition of a Doak 6 applies to this golf course. I'm not very good at spelling out my appreciation for a golf course, I just know what I like and for the most part its the type of course where you get the sense that if he were alive today Old Tom would approve. Is that kooky enough for you? Let's go with what ifs: IF given the opportunity to visit Wolf Point OR ANY of the other great courses I've played, I'd go to Wolf Point TODAY over the likes of a Shinnecock, Pinehurst No. 2, Seminole or Merion East. It is that good. If I were the fifth Beatle author of The Confidential Guide, I 'd have given it a 10.

John Cowden

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 03:52:59 PM »
Well said, all.  And Ran's course profile is a wonderful reminder of how special the course is.  As he notes, however, what a shame it has to be relatively so unique.  We've got to get Mike Nuzzo and Don Mahaffey out more! 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »

Coincidentally, I have recently been pondering Alister MacKenzie's (and others) courses in South America and reading this profile of Wolf Point reminded me of these 1930 quotes from Dr Alister about his work at the Jockey Club (which I understand has subsequently become tree-i-fied, something I trust will never happen at WP).

"We made the ground extremely undulating by constructing a series of irregular swales radiating to the lowest point, and these swales gave us the following advantages: they cheapened and facilitated the drainage. They gave us plenty of soil for making greens and creating undulating ground, and above all, they gave the place a natural appearance that the undulations appear to have been created by the effects of wind and water thousands of years ago. The course has a greater resemblance not only in appearance but in the character of its golf to the Old Course at St. Andrews than any inland course I know.
When we had completed the contouring of this course, which incidentally was done in twenty-one days, the captain of the club, a very able man and a student of golf architecture, asked me what I was going to do about the bunkering. I replied ‘The undulations have created such a varied, interesting and pleasurable test of golf that we do not require a single bunker; nevertheless, for the sake of appearance and for the purpose of creating more spectacular thrills we will give you a few bunkers."

I would not only love to play WP but also have the opportunity to talk with those involved in it's design, construction and layout. I wish there were more courses akin to it. My kind of golf. Well done to all involved.

Atb

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:27:51 PM »
Ran--

Great profile on an outstanding golf course.  You covered it well.  The only thing I can add that I thought was cool was the roll in front of the green on the par 3 12th.  It's a subtle hazard that does not require special maintenance but yet can perplex the player.  I've never understood why it is not used more.

I agree; I love #12. Just looks like such a simple, plain little hole, but the use of the land there really makes it interesting. You kind of want to hit a tiny little punch that just gets over the bunker, and see if you can feed it down to the green.

David Davis

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »

Great profile Ran, also agree with just about everything.

I'm also guilty of flying all the way to Texas (it's only 10 hours so not too bad), sleeping in a two bit hotel with a big fellow I was meeting for the first time and listening to him snore all night, road tripping it hours into the middle of nowhere for one single golf course that no-one had heard of just because this guy I didn't know at all said it was cool. One of the best decisions I've ever made. One of the best long days of golf I've ever had and I wished it would of never ended.

If Wolf Point is a Doak 6 then perhaps I read the scale wrong and it actually represents nearly a perfect triangle with 6 being round about the high point. At the very least IMO it would fit perfectly into the Gourmet Choice.

It's one of those places you just wish was closer and you could manage to find a way to bribe the staff more often with free beer and Mexican food.

But hey, one can always keep dreaming of another blissful day in the Texas sun.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 07:56:33 PM »
Ran--

I agree; I love #12. Just looks like such a simple, plain little hole, but the use of the land there really makes it interesting. You kind of want to hit a tiny little punch that just gets over the bunker, and see if you can feed it down to the green.

I hit that shot my last time there, kind of bumbled down the hill and left to right, wound up 15' for easy par. 

The previous green, #11, is equally wild with the internal contours that are almost mounds.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 08:21:49 PM »
Ran - I've not yet played WP, but from day one in reading about its design and construction and seeing it in photos, I thought it top notch -- for many reasons but I'll mention just one, and it is related to your referencing of a featureless site. THAT I think is the key to the importance of WP as a potential model for other courses moving forward -- because unless every developer starts mimicking Mike Keiser and looking for spectacular land in far flung places (and then charging spectacular green fees for the privilege of playing a top-notch course), most new courses that are close to where most people live are going to be on fairly banal/featureless land. But, banal as it may be, the land will nonetheless be expensive (it is, after all, close to where people live) -- and so in order for a developer to have a hope of turning a profit while charging reasonable green fees he must ensure that a) the design is compelling and engaging and the talk of the town, and b) the construction approach and irrigation system and maintenance regime are imaginatively well-planned and modestly costed.  And it seems that this is exactly what Mike and Don and the team delivered with WP, and on the kind of site (though it has always "felt" like Texas to me) that can probably be found just about everywhere, all across America.
Peter     
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:23:38 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 09:04:36 PM »
I am proud of what little I was able to do with Mike, Don and the owner at Wolf Point. I am more proud that I still get to work with those guys when other projects come about. Lasting relationships mean a lot to me.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:45:12 AM »
Good to hear from many friends who have visited Wolf Point.
I don't know about rankings or scales but I know our owner ranks the course high as he no longer takes his clubs with him when he travels.
I also know some may feel the course pushes a little hard in places but that was by design as we knew the owner was a super smart guy and he was going to play here most everyday, and he has since portions of the course were playable. We didn't want him bored and it does seem he actually likes the tough stretches the best.
As far as a model or template for other course development, I think there is something there, but to me the irony is WP was designed and built with no commercial intent, none whatsoever. Yet it seems to be a good model for affordable golf and I think a course in an area with the right demographics could be very successful if design, construction, and management were integrated like what we did at WP.
In a golf world dominated with stories of great golf on great sites in faraway places, it is nice to see the recognition that you can have fun golf on a mundane site without moving heaven and earth.  Knowledge always trumps diesel power in our business, but it is very hard for many to accept that premise.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:07:04 AM »
I was fortunate to be there a few weeks ago with Eric at WP.  I think that WP is the best course in the state of Texas and probably the SW U.S.  What a treat to get to be there for two days to soak in all that is WP and to explore every inch of the place.  Don and Mike have done something really special and if you ever get an opportunity to play there, drop everything and run!  It is in BFE Texas, but well worth the trouble to get there.  I could play there the rest of my life and be very happy and never get bored.  Wonderful place, thanks for sharing! :) :)

Paul Jones

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »
Don,

Two of my favorite golf experiences have been Wolf Point and Sheep Ranch - funny that both are least irrigated and most fun to play.  I also think it is wonderful that the owner allows you to host Charity Events to support local causes and give people a chance to experience Wolf Point. 

Keep up the great work, both you and Nuzzo !!!
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »

If Wolf Point is a Doak 6 then perhaps I read the scale wrong and it actually represents nearly a perfect triangle with 6 being round about the high point. At the very least IMO it would fit perfectly into the Gourmet Choice.

Perhaps you should read my books closer.  It actually was in the Gourmet's Choice [volume 2], and Ran and I both gave it a 7, not a 6.  I thought about giving it an 8, but had I done so everyone would ask if I'd put it in the top 100 courses in the world, and I would not go so far as that.  It's a lovely, very interesting course.  The best comparison I can think of is Woking, or maybe Huntercombe.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »
My write up from years ago.. This was during an attempted phase of Gonzo style journalism that I don't wish to bring attention to since I rarely write anymore.  My point is the course and Mike's wonderful creation.  It was a pleasure to be in Mike and Don's company for those few hours and I am thankful the owner allowed me to join them those 5 years ago..

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46178.0/wap2.html

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 02:26:08 PM »
Perhaps you should read my books closer.  It actually was in the Gourmet's Choice [volume 2], and Ran and I both gave it a 7, not a 6.  I thought about giving it an 8, but had I done so everyone would ask if I'd put it in the top 100 courses in the world, and I would not go so far as that.  It's a lovely, very interesting course.  The best comparison I can think of is Woking, or maybe Huntercombe.

Tom,

I haven't been to Wolf Point, yet. How would you compare those greens to the greens at Woking and Huntercombe? Wolf Point's seem a little more ... ah ... antagonistic. Is this accurate?

Congrats to Mike and Don, and everyone else involved with the development of Wolf Point. Looks interesting.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:30:14 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 02:52:46 PM »
Thank you Ran and everyone!!
One of my favorite things to do is to take a visitor down to play Wolf Point which is closely followed by hearing how much they enjoyed playing.
Having Don host a charity event couldn't have been more fun especially hearing so may varied high opinions.
The playing conditions were incredible, a perfect maintenance meld.

It is far more of an honor to have Wolf Point chosen as a Gourmet's Choice and to be compared to Royal Worlington & Newmarket, Woking and Huntercombe than to be on the world 100 list. (*I have not been to England!)
Tom why do you think Wolf Point is not as far as world top 100?
Cheers
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:23:36 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

David Davis

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »

Tom,

That's kind of funny. I wasn't responding to the Confidential Guide but to what Eric Smith wrote above. I guess you missed that comment. I only have the original Confidential Guide and haven't seen the new one, YET! I didn't know it was in your Gourmet Choice either ;-)

This was the comment:

We've had several discussions since, where he insists that, though he had a great time, and says he loved the course, Wolf Point is a "Doak 6" [/size]

[/color]

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 07:32:27 PM »

Tom,

I haven't been to Wolf Point, yet. How would you compare those greens to the greens at Woking and Huntercombe? Wolf Point's seem a little more ... ah ... antagonistic. Is this accurate?

I've played both Huntercombe and Wolf Point.  I would say WP doesn't have a green as wild as 2, 3 or 4 at Huntercombe, but overall the greens at WP are more interesting.   Greens like 4, 5, 11, 12, 13 14, 15 and 18 are wilder than anything but those three and probably 8 at Huntercombe.

I've played about 40 of the current Top 100 modern and see no reason Wolf Point shouldn't be in that list.  It's better than a number of those I've played. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »

This was the comment:

We've had several discussions since, where he insists that, though he had a great time, and says he loved the course, Wolf Point is a "Doak 6"

David:

I did see Eric's post, but your post was made without direct reference to that ... you just ridiculed it as "a Doak 6," and pardon me if I take that personally, on the assumption that other people are going to attribute it to me.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 07:41:18 PM »
It is far more of an honor to have Wolf Point chosen as a Gourmet's Choice and to be compared to Royal Worlington & Newmarket, Woking and Huntercombe than to be on the world 100 list. (*I have not been to England!)
Tom why do you think Wolf Point is not as far as world top 100?
Cheers

If you're going to stick with your first statement, then you probably shouldn't be asking the question. 

And now that I am no longer a part of choosing the top 100 courses in the world, I no longer feel compelled to respond to questions about that!  But you should realize by now that the rankings of golf courses are not just about golf architecture, but about all kinds of other things where Wolf Point [and Woking] do not score as high.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 11:04:04 PM »
Wolf Point's seem a little more ... ah ... antagonistic. Is this accurate?

... Looks interesting.
Jeff,
I haven't played with every visitor to WP, but I've spent time with almost every visitor from within the industry, be they architects, builders, consultants...etc...

By far, the most criticism of WP I've heard has been from Architects.  I know of a couple who were flat out not impressed, at all.
Your comments are not really negative, and believe me I'm fine with anyone not liking the course or thinking it's greens to be too severe, so no issue.  But WP is unique, I know the client is very pleased, and it wasn't built to anyone's industry standards (the most painful words in the business to my ears, and I keep hearing them more and more). So no issue with your words, just a comment about part of the business I don't understand.

edit: to clarify, what I believe is many in the golf design business don't really know what golfers want, or maybe better said, what golfers don't want.  Yes we know what the tour players want, what the scratch guys want, and what the USGA and PGA tour design guys want, but I'm not so sure that the golf world really knows what the rank and file golfers enjoy. Most industry experts would say that the greens at WP are too severe and golfers will not enjoy them, or the greens at some of the courses we've worked on are too severe, but when I get out and rub elbows with the everyday golfer, I hear a much different story.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:13:27 PM by Don Mahaffey »

John Cowden

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 12:19:57 AM »
Nicely said, Don.   And true to my much more limited experience as well.  I love that you don't need, nor want, to fight the stimp one-up battle; everybody loses in that one, especially the players.  Instead, you and Mike have created a course that expressly suits not only your client but most every other thinking golfer as well.  But your client especially.  Well done to you both. 

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 03:51:33 AM »

Thanks for the write up Ran.

I may be wrong...but I think I get what Tom means by comparing Huntercombe and WP...both strike me as low profile designs which offer plenty of encouragement to play near the ground, utilize interesting man-made shaping and can be built in loads of locations.  Where WP differs is in its expansiveness...something Huntercombe has sacrificed to unchecked tree growth.  Though to be honest, pix of WP remind me most of TOC.

In any case...WP is on my 25 to play in USA list...in my dreams.  Well done Don & Mike!

Ciao     
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

David Davis

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 04:25:49 AM »

This was the comment:

We've had several discussions since, where he insists that, though he had a great time, and says he loved the course, Wolf Point is a "Doak 6"

David:

I did see Eric's post, but your post was made without direct reference to that ... you just ridiculed it as "a Doak 6," and pardon me if I take that personally, on the assumption that other people are going to attribute it to me.

Tom, my apologies. That was not my intention.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back