News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Davenport CC
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:54:41 AM »
This past weekend I had the opportunity to get back to play the recently restored Davenport CC. The history of the club is impressive- it is a 1924 CH Alison design on dramatic property less than a mile from the Mississippi river. It hosted the 1936 and 1951 Western Open. The course record was 64 set by George Fazio eclipsing Gene Sarazen's previous best of 65. Ron Forse and Jim Nagle succeeded in opening up beautiful vistas by removing in excess of 500 trees and reclaiming lost green pads. A retention pond that was a complete eyesore has been eliminated improving perhaps what was the weakest hole. The green and bunker complexes are quite impressive. At 6800 yds the elevation changes make for a serious challenge for strong players. It is a fun/sporty round from 6300 yds- you will hit every club in your bag.  This property is very similar to Milwaukee CC , another fine Alison design. I would also contend that it is firmly top 25 in the Midwest. I sense that it suffers due to being in Iowa- very few venture the 2.5 hrs out from Chicago to the Quad Cities.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:34:35 PM by J_ Crisham »

Frank Pont

Re: Davenport CC
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:07:45 AM »
Davenport was the biggest surprise on my two trips to the US to see  the Alison courses. It would be a lot more known if it wasn't in Iowa a few hours drive from Chicago. I saw it before the renovation, but already then it was clear the course could be very good.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 10:43:54 AM »
Davenport was the biggest surprise on my two trips to the US to see  the Alison courses. It would be a lot more known if it wasn't in Iowa a few hours drive from Chicago. I saw it before the renovation, but already then it was clear the course could be very good.
Frank,
   When I spoke yesterday with John Panek , Davenport CC head professional, he mentioned your visit. I hope golfers make the journey as it will very much surprise them. The terrain is outstanding and the course flows effortlessly across it. The 7th hole is as good a par 4 as we have in the Midwest IMO.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 12:14:06 PM »
This past weekend I had the opportunity to get back to play the recently restored Davenport CC. The history of the club is impressive- it is a 1924 CH Alison design on dramatic property less than a mile from the Mississippi river. It hosted the 1939 and 1951 Western Open. The course record was 64 set by George Fazio eclipsing Gene Sarazen's previous best of 65. Ron Forse and Jim Nagle succeeded in opening up beautiful vistas by removing in excess of 500 trees and reclaiming lost green pads. A retention pond that was a complete eyesore has been eliminated improving perhaps what was the weakest hole. The green and bunker complexes are quite impressive. At 6800 yds the elevation changes make for a serious challenge for strong players. It is a fun/sporty round from 6300 yds- you will hit every club in your bag.  This property is very similar to Milwaukee CC , another fine Alison design. I would also contend that it is firmly top 25 in the Midwest. I sense that it suffers due to being in Iowa- very few venture the 2.5 hrs out from Chicago to the Quad Cities.

Hmm, I live about an 1:20 from there but have only been there for a wedding.  Seems like it's time to make that trip happen, and I still haven't played TPC Deere, which seems really fun for a TPC course.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:03:29 PM »
I hope golfers make the journey as it will very much surprise them. The terrain is outstanding and the course flows effortlessly across it. The 7th hole is as good a par 4 as we have in the Midwest IMO.

Seeing this thread is pushing my desire for an Iowa golf trip higher and higher, and Davenport would be close to the top of that itinerary.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 01:17:01 PM »
I agree it is an excellent course ... as mentioned in this thread a week or two back:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62884.0.html

Frank Pont

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:24:26 AM »
I liked Davenport better than Milwaukee....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »

I liked it better than nearly all the Colt courses where you consult, too, Frank  ;)

Frank Pont

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »

I liked it better than nearly all the Colt courses where you consult, too, Frank  ;)

Good for you Tom :-)

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 02:15:24 PM »
Thanks for the report, Jack.

This summer might be tight, but at some point I'm going to make an effort to head down there and check out the course. Sounds interesting!
H.P.S.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
Thanks for the report, Jack.

This summer might be tight, but at some point I'm going to make an effort to head down there and check out the course. Sounds interesting!
Pat,      I have a great affinity for Milwaukee CC. In all honesty I don't see a great separation between these 2 courses. MCC may be better maintained given the financial ability of their very lofty membership but Davenport's use of their terrain is impressive. Give me a heads up and I will come out to join you.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »
I live about an hour away but have only been there once, over 20 years ago. I remember it being very claustrophobic with trees punishing every offline tee shot. Of course I can hit some pretty far offline tee shots so I may have just been particularly wild that day. I wouldn't remember it well enough to recognize what exactly has changed if I played it again, but I'm glad to hear the restoration has improved it. Iowa isn't exactly a hotbed of great golf courses, so we need to take good care of those we do have!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

JNagle

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »
Great to see such interest in Davenport C.C.  This course is so worth a visit as photographs and descriptions cannot convey the genius of the routing upon such great topography in an area where many might think the course will be relatively flat and uninteresting.  Alison's use of the land provides such great variety with majestic views, flat holes, elevated tees, fairways with heaving ground where one side of the fairway is nearly 30' below the adjoining side (7th hole), elevated tees and greens, sheer rock faces within view and play.  The greens until the renovation had remained relatively untouched (holes 1, 9 and 18 had been modified and the 2nd and 12th holes were relatively benign).  The club had done very little top-dressing through the years and the greens were suffering because of the lack of sand.  The course was overgrown with trees.  The 1st hole had been rerouted to fit in the DR and was now sitting on a narrow corridor  with a hillside to the right and a fall-off to the left.  The hole felt awkward in its repositioning.  The 18th hole was also modified and rerouted much further from the clubhouse and played over a stream on the low portion of the property.  Bunkering included some of the original hazards and many "new" bunkers added over the years.  Many original bunkers had been removed or rebuilt in a more modern appearance.  Others were covered over. 

The project entailed the rebuilding of the 1st, 8th, 9th, 12th, 17th and 18th greens.  All bunkers were rebuilt, some eliminated and many original bunkers reinstated.  All greens, because of the lack of top-dressing, were capped with 6-8" of sand.  We utilized laxer scanned images from Scott Pool to assist with maintaining the integrity of the original contours.  Fairways were regrassed as well as rough (25 - 40') from the edges of the fairways.  All fairways were expanded, some regraded.  All tees were reconstructed, some removed and many added.  The tree removal was extensive and continues with each passing winter.  Davey Tree was on site at the beginning of construction with 5 crews present.  The burn piles for the removed trees were rather large. 

This was a team effort of epic proportions (for a renovation project).  The club put their faith in us to help lead, but so much of it came down to the efforts of the clubs staff and especially the work of Dean Sparks.  Dean had been a superintendent who spent many years working with Pete Dye.  He was looking to travel less and reestablish his home near Davenport.  His ability to manage so many moving parts was key to the overall success.  This project started during the last week of July 2014 and was substantially wrapped up just after Labor Day.  The bulk of the remaining work was clean-up and grassing.  Landscapes Unlimited threw everything they could at the job to meet the schedule and exceeded all expectations. 

The only downside to the whole project ended up being the weather.  Just after the last seed and sod when down the rains came, then Winter, then a cold wet Spring.  Things were really lagging behind in the Spring/Summer of 15.  It wasn't until the Fall of '15 that the course began taking shape.

Ron and I were not 100% sure what we were going to do with the bunkers even after having our 1st visit for construction.  We were sitting apart at the airport after the visit talking about bunkers.  I texted these two photos to him when sitting a few feet apart.  Once we had the photos, we were off and running.

Plan of course

2012 Aerial Photo

1937 aerial photo

Hole 2 - Before/After

Hole 7

Hole 8

Hole 9

Hole 12

Hole 15

Hole 18

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 12:07:17 PM »
Jim:

Two questions:

1.  When did the 18th green move to across the stream, and who did that?  [I thought your realignment of the fairway was a great move.  I was shocked to see how it was "before" on Google Earth.]

2.  Why did you move the forward tee on #7 into the middle of the hole?  It seemed like it blocked the sightline from further back.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 03:15:22 PM »
Jim,
     Hats off to you and Ron- the transformation of DCC is quite impressive. The removal of the pond on 12 was a big plus- it just didn't fit the hole. The new and improved greenside bunkering complex on 12 has created one of the better holes on the back nine. Moving the fairway to the left on 18 was a brilliant idea- in a tight match the creek is now a big factor . As an aside, the past 2 weeks have taken me to Lehigh , Philly CC , Manufacturers, Lancaster, Rolling Green, and DCC - you and Ron have done some very nice work.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
the past 2 weeks have taken me to Lehigh , Philly CC , Manufacturers, Lancaster, Rolling Green, and DCC - you and Ron have done some very nice work.

No offense to Jim and Ron, but Lehigh, Philly CC, Manufacturers, Lancaster and Rolling Green did have another designer involved in them, and they were all very nice when back when I saw them in 1992 ... when Jim was in high school !

JNagle

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 04:48:12 PM »
Tom -

No offense taken, especially when you imply I was still in HS in '92.  A few years off, but that is okay.  The change to the 18th fairway at DCC was something that took shape early on in our visits to DCC.  It seemed to flow much better and with the stream left and the green, although not original, aligned to the left.  I believe the changes were made to #'s 1 & 18 in the early 90's.

The 7th hole - Yes, the tee should have been set lower.  With the slopes found on both the left and right sides we wanted to get those playing the tee (Sr's, Ladies and Jr's) positioned closer to the middle.  Even just a foot lower can make a huge difference.

As for the Philly Flynn's listed, we would like to think we had an assist to Flynn's work in the upgrading to those facilities.  Have you been back since '92? 

Jack that's a nice little tour.  Luckily I was just at Philly and Mannie's yesterday along with the unheralded, yet still a Flynn course, Concord.  Will be at RG in two weeks.  Ron won't let me go to Lehigh!  JK of course.
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
Jim:

Forgive my ignorance, but what course is pictured in the two black and white photos of the bunkers you posted above.

Thanks,

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jason Thurman

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 10:13:26 PM »
Hirono?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
Yes, those are the 7th and 5th holes at Hirono.  The bunkers didn't look like that when I was there, however! 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 10:04:58 AM »
Nice thread, lovely-looking course. Just an aside: Davenport - the hometown of jazz great Bix Beiderbecke, the original "young man with a horn". In early 1925, about a year after the Davenport Country Club was founded, Bix wrote and recorded "Davenport Blues" (though it has nothing to do with the golf course.) In 1930, he was playing with the Paul Whiteman Orchestra and its small group-with-the-group, The Rhythm Boys; their singer was a young man who loved golf and would soon be a huge star, i.e. Bing Crosby. Soon afterwards, Bing settled in Los Angeles and joined Lakeside Golf Club; sadly, just about that time Bix passed away at the age of 28.

Peter
Here is the recording of Davenport Blues. Listening to it, I imagine the jazz-agers and the flappers out at the Country Club, hitting it with those old hickories, find it, and hitting it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu7z4zRHzYw&list=RDhu7z4zRHzYw#t=0
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:21:54 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »
Since I'm unable to take part in the Mashie this year and very intrigued by this course, I've lined up a round of golf here this coming Sunday 7/30 at 10am. John McCarthy is joining me and I have room for 2 more spots.

PM me if you'd be interested in "buddying up". Guest fee is $90

Ryan

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back