News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Hollerbach

Country Club of Asheville will be going under the knife over this summer for a complete restoration. The 1928 Ross design has been fairly well preserved over the last 90 years, with little changes to the original routing or green complexes. The work that was proposed by the architect at a meeting this week seems to suggest the most aggressive list of changes seen to the course since it's inception. What seems most concerning to me is the movement of many of theses green sites, eliminating the fine Ross putting surfaces that have existed for so long.

You can watch the presentation here

While it may not be a heavy applauded course, CCA is still a very fine gem of a course. As a course that I've played over 1000 times, I'm having a hard time see the value in much of the proposed work. After watching the presentation it seems that I'm about to lose one of my all time favorite courses.

The current routing of the course:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:43:19 PM by Ben Hollerbach »

Peter Pallotta

Re: Restoring the Ross out of a golf course - C.C. Asheville
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
Ben -
A while back I started a thread noting that, in truth, there are ONLY restorations and renovations, and nothing in between. I think we all know what restoration ACTUALLY means, and I think club members have been ill served by people in the industry trying to give it a DIFFERENT meaning/definition. This seems exactly one of those instances -- what is clearly a "renovation" being sold/marketed as a "restoration". In general, I have no issues with renovations, especially as I am not a club member and have no stake in the game. But I do wish people would use words properly, so that everyone involved knew what they were giving up and what they were going to get.

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
When a reno was done at the Ross course where I belong several years ago I tried my best to explain expanding the existing greens etc and going with what was there.  The few in charge knew better and assured me even up until the week before it began that no bulldozers would be on the property and the greens would be exactly like they were.  Nope, what they got was an exact 2 diminsional GPS mapping of the existing drawings...the third dimension was a total interpretation.  Most members associate more dollars spent with better.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:39:20 PM »
He wants to "keep the spirit of Donald Ross"? 

Matt MacIver

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 08:15:18 AM »
I watched the video and only played the course once so can't speak definitely to what's there or going to be there, but I liked what I heard...enlarge greens to 1951 aerials, remove ~200 trees for better angles and sight lines, improve drainage and unplayable rough areas around greens. I agree it's a fun course with great routing and elevation changes, fingers crossed this makes it even better.

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:02:10 AM »
Without drawings or earlier overheads, I thought Mr. Mandell's presentation was respectful to what is there now. 

A few things I took were:

- Expansion of Greens with quadrants.  Hopefully they don't get too wild like Cherokee CC did.  Too much liberty for my taste on some of the greens and for todays speeds.  I didn't see Raleigh was out of hand, so I am hoping for good things.
- Tree removal.  Of course, this got the most questions it seemed at the end, but 200 as he mentioned would be a good start.  Interesting Raleigh seems to have been left alone with trees...so hoping he actually takes out that number.  My favorite part was when someone would ask about a certain tree and he would simply say, "that tree will be removed".  No debate.  No committees.  No boards to fight.  As an arborist and with the backing of a single boss, this was a beautiful thing.
- Cart path relocation - This will be welcome as some do encroach unncessarily, but not the worst I've seen by any means. 
- Tee box equity - Also loved his 'formula' for having equitable shots for higher handicaps to compete fairly.  Husband/wives having same shot values into holes is a great thing.

I've only played the course once.  Loved every hole on the back 9.  Loved 8 and 9.  Didn't love the rest of the front.  Hard to do much with one, but it isn't my favorite starting hole.  #2 is a fun hole.  The valley holes are weak.  The short par 3...#5 maybe, didn't feel like a typical 'porch' type hole that I've seen at other Ross courses.  Hopefully he can do something with it.  So many great short par 3's in Ross' portfolio to choose from.

Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Jason Thurman

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »
The Twin Cities Midwest Mashie last fall played Keller GC, a Richard Mandell renovation of a municipal course that had in the past served as a Tour stop and host to the PGA Championship and Western Open as well. He also came out and had dinner with a couple of us after talking over beers at the course. I mostly remember the Brussels sprouts and steak, but Richard also has a really deep love and respect for principles of classic golf architecture. I would give him the benefit of the doubt on the renovation.

Ross courses are always sacred cows around here, and I get that, but plenty of them are mundane designs on tough properties that have suffered from a century or so of benign neglect at this point. Most of my favorite Ross courses have been "touched up" a bit in recent years. Tim Liddy's "sympathetic renovation" to Hyde Park took a low-budget (at construction) Ross course and made it feel like one of his better works. It was in no way a restoration, but a broader interpretation of how Ross' design style might have shone through on the property with a larger construction budget while keeping the routing and basic principles applied to the course itself intact. Broadmoor in Indianapolis has benefitted mightily from Bruce Hepner's work. Idle Hour in Lexington has holes like 8 that prompt people to exclaim "This is a great Ross par 5!" even though that part of the property was purchased long after Ross left town. And we all know how the reno/resto work at Pinehurst and Mid Pines turned out.

Point being, give the work a chance and judge it by what's on the ground now vs. what's on the ground when it's completed. Changing old courses is always delicate work, but when done correctly it can also make them a better reflection of their own history even if it doesn't turn the clock back to exactly what was there before.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 11:02:53 AM »
I think Jason is correct above.  He mentions it is a "delicate" opertion to change these places.  The problem comes when the "delicate" goes away...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 11:15:13 AM »

Peter,

Throughout the presentation, it is discussed restoring the course to a particular time based upon an aerial photograph of the course. This aerial seems to be used at times as the gospel for why a decision is being made, but at other times completely disregarded when the proposed change is rather drastic. What is most puzzling is the that the aerial used to drive many of the "renovation" decisions was taken over 20 years after the course was build and after the initial private club had failed and the course turned into a public venue.

Mike,

With 12 or 13 of the 18 greens being original, one would hope that preserving those original greens would be paramount in the work. But yet the plan is to move or reshape at least 11 of the current greens. The original greens posses quite a bit of subtle internal sloping that make them a blast to putt on, I don't see how that character is retained with this many greens being completely reworked.

Jason,

I don't have many options other that to wait and see what transpires, but I'm not optimistic of the resulting work. Some of the design decisions proposed make me question how much time was spent on the land prior and how invoking the spirit of Ross is driving these choices. Hopefully it turns out well...

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:42:57 AM by Ben Hollerbach »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »
Ross courses are always sacred cows around here, and I get that, but plenty of them are mundane designs on tough properties that have suffered from a century or so of benign neglect at this point. Most of my favorite Ross courses have been "touched up" a bit in recent years. Tim Liddy's "sympathetic renovation" to Hyde Park took a low-budget (at construction) Ross course and made it feel like one of his better works. It was in no way a restoration, but a broader interpretation of how Ross' design style might have shone through on the property with a larger construction budget while keeping the routing and basic principles applied to the course itself intact. Broadmoor in Indianapolis has benefitted mightily from Bruce Hepner's work. Idle Hour in Lexington has holes like 8 that prompt people to exclaim "This is a great Ross par 5!" even though that part of the property was purchased long after Ross left town. And we all know how the reno/resto work at Pinehurst and Mid Pines turned out.

I have seen a lot of Donald Ross courses for my book project over the past couple of years, and I keep wondering where all these "mundane designs" are hidden, because most all of the ones I saw were EXCELLENT courses, from Maine and New Hampshire and New York all the way out to Iowa.  I have not tried to add them up, but Ross had to have built more 6's and 7's on the Doak scale than anyone else.

That said, jobs like this one are a bit of a tightrope.  The new owner committed to do a bunch of work to the course as part of buying the club, but he obviously wants to market it under Ross' mantle -- no offense to Richard Mandell.  By the same token, from all accounts it's not the most exciting example of Ross' work, and there are not many architects alive who wouldn't want to "improve" it instead of just doing a bunch of infrastructure work.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »
Tom,

Quite a bit of work has been done by the greens staff over the last 15 years to improve and restore the course. Fairways were widened (to a now average width of 49 yards ), green area was reclaimed on all 18 holes, and the bunkers were re-profiled to fall more in the look and playing style of a period correct bunker. At one point Ron Forse was brought in to consult and put together a master plan.

The U.S. Hickory Open was played on the course 2 years ago and the field unanimously applauded the quality and playability of the course for competitive hickory play. In many ways It had reached a rather original restored playing state.

When the new owner came in, he did talk about putting money into the club, primarily into the clubhouse. He also said that the golf course was in good shape and didn't need much, and he threw around the "USGA Spec" catch phrase that seems to be so popular. It seems that he promised a certain dollar amount of work and feels justified to spend it, rather than just improve upon the work that was already started.

It's interesting to note that many of the questions asked at the end of the presentation were about the condition of the course and if areas like inconsistent rough were going to be addressed. That would suggest that the membership is rather happy with the state of the course, and they are more concerned with the conditioning.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:08:19 PM by Ben Hollerbach »

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 11:49:07 AM »
Ben,

Have you putted on the greens after a decent rain?  Say .5" to 1"?

Summer of 2015 course was closed many many days because greens and certain fairways were to wet.

Are you a member?

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
Jonathan,

I grew up at CCA. I've played over 1000 rounds on the course, with at least 10 rounds a year over the last 25 years. I've played the golf course during heavy rain and shortly after heavy rain. When the creek flooded and knocked out the bridge on 6 I played the day after the course was re opened. Care to elaborate?

Kris Spence

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 10:51:57 AM »
As a competing architect to Richard, I will not comment on his proposal to the CC of Asheville.  He  and the club are entitled to do whatever they please with their wonderful old Donald Ross golf course.

I do find his representation of his Ross project work experience a bit disingenuous and I have contacted Richard directly about this prior.  In his list of "Ross" projects, he list Forsyth Country Club and Myers Park CC, 2 Donald Ross courses I restored.  As to Forsyth, for him to reference that course as a Ross project is insulting to me, he and Mr. Maples incorporated not a single Donald Ross feature in their work.  As a matter of fact, I commented during my interview with the club that I could not see any Ross left anywhere and I think anyone who had any prior knowledge of Ross' work would have said the same thing.  The course had been completely redesigned in the Dan Maples style.  The club may in fact have ask for such a redesign, but his experience at Forsyth had absolutely nothing to do with "restoring" Donald Ross.  It was not a Donald Ross project and he knows it.

As I understand it, Richard has been hired to consult at Myers Park following my work there, which is fine with me.  I refused to continue consulting at MPCC after a financial dispute with a member following our work on their course.  I have numerous emails and letters from members, as well as, numerous current members who contacted me in the past two weeks expressing their appreciation and admiration for my work there.  According to the  members who spoke with me, no changes have been made to my work there as of this date with the exception of a bunker right of #9 green due to a storm sewer line needing relocation.  Therefore, to date, Richard has not performed beyond any planning work on Myers Park, adjusting a mowing pattern or two does not constitute Ross work.  I know for a fact he has shown pictures of  Myers Park in pursuit of other jobs, (Bacon Park) for which I contacted him on, therefore that particular incident is settled with me.  Richard, you should clarify the extent of your involvement instead of letting the audience get the wrong impression.  i.e., if those people were to play Myers Park, who's work are they going to see today?  If those people go to Forsyth CC today, who's work are they going to play and see? 

This post may not politically correct, but I will not stand by and let someone misrepresent themselves at my expense on this website or any other.  I wish Richard and the McConnell Golf Group, as well as, the members of CC of Asheville best of luck.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 02:56:49 PM »
I have played Raleigh CC a few times and Richard Mandell did a wonderful restoration of the course which is attributed to Ross although some have questioned if he did actually do the design.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »
I have played Raleigh CC a few times and Richard Mandell did a wonderful restoration of the course which is attributed to Ross although some have questioned if he did actually do the design.

This is a baffling post to me.

I've heard that Richard did some great work at Raleigh CC, which was on nobody's radar as a worthwhile course a few years ago.  But how can you term it a "wonderful restoration" and, in the same sentence, question if Ross actually designed the course in the first place ?  Didn't you imply that Richard restored it to Ross's design ?

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 12:58:51 AM »

I have seen a lot of Donald Ross courses for my book project over the past couple of years, and I keep wondering where all these "mundane designs" are hidden, because most all of the ones I saw were EXCELLENT courses, from Maine and New Hampshire and New York all the way out to Iowa.  I have not tried to add them up, but Ross had to have built more 6's and 7's on the Doak scale than anyone else.

That said, jobs like this one are a bit of a tightrope.  The new owner committed to do a bunch of work to the course as part of buying the club, but he obviously wants to market it under Ross' mantle -- no offense to Richard Mandell.  By the same token, from all accounts it's not the most exciting example of Ross' work, and there are not many architects alive who wouldn't want to "improve" it instead of just doing a bunch of infrastructure work.

Daytona Beach GC is probably the only "mundane" Ross I've ever played, and that may be due to neglect/a later butcher job, not to mention a mediocre property.

Kris Spence

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 02:27:43 PM »
Ben, it was not my intention to hijack your thread yesterday, I was alerted to your post by several emails and text messages and responded when I saw the information presented on screen about the Ross projects etc.  I think Mike Young's post made some very good points and I agree with him on the subtle features contained within those greens.  I would suggest you contact Richard and give him a chance to explain his intentions and plans for those types of details.

Good luck and best wishes,
Kris

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 07:37:41 PM »
I had not played Raleigh before Mandell's work but have played it a dozen times in the past few years. The greens complexes are excellent and the playing surfaces are outstanding. I played CC of Asheville last summer and loved the course from eight on. I found holes two through seven to be ordinary and the playing surfaces poor. I, for one, am anxious to see what happens there. I certainly can understand, however, that it might bring fear into the heart of a lover of the course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »
Tom: I am not the one questioning the Ross credentials - I just mentioned it in passing. My recollection is that they have drawings that Richard worked from that are attributed to Ross.  To my eye it has greens and complexes which certainly make me think of Ross and the routing is very well done. As an aside - I believe they have bent grass greens which have always been firm and quite fast when I've been there which is noteworthy in North Carolina.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 12:42:12 PM »
Kris,

No worries, I'm glad that you shared your insight.

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
Ben - I think your course is in good hands

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »
Dear Ben and Peter,

Let me first start by saying that I intentionally refrained from calling my work at CCA a restoration due to the lack of information to accurately call it a restoration. My opening comments clearly stated just that.  It is not being sold by me as a restoration. Peter, your comment saying "This seems exactly one of those instances" is wrong.

That is where "The spirit of Donald Ross" comes in as I am not looking to change the golf course so as to bury the Ross look, nor can we do a restoration while fixing very real percolation rate problems with the greens.  That line should not be disparaged as lip service.  It just so happens we have very little documentation to go on regarding Ross.  Considering what he means to the club, it is important to make sure the course looks as much as possible like Ross while still addressing the needs my Client has outlined.

Let me now address the 1951 aerial photograph and Ben's concerns about it being gospel.  When trying to stick as close to what little Ross information that is available, the presence of an aerial photograph from the past is much closer to 1928 Ross greens than 2016 greens with known changes to many of them through intentional design as well as over time through mowing patterns from the past  ninety years.  Why would anyone not use it for some guidance in this instance?

I am sure Ben would prefer I keep the current green shapes and sizes per his fondness of the layout, but the fact is that the current greens have shrunk over time (as they do everywhere).  Today the greens average 4,760 square feet.  In 1951, they were 5,800 square feet.  We know those sizes for a fact so why wouldn't we want to recapture that square footage in an age where faster green speeds require more square footage so the putting surfaces don't get out of control? 

To Joe Sponcia's point, the last thing I want is that the green slopes are too much for a site with that much elevation change (meaning a course like this plays longer than it appears and to have ridiculous green contours could make it practically unplayable).  This has been discussed with the Client and it is a fine line to keep the Client happy with interesting contouring and yet keep the greens playable for the lesser-skilled.

Back to the 1951 aerial. I never once said it was to be followed exactly as is, only as a guideline.  So the idea that I am utilizing its features to suit my own desires is inaccurate.  There should also be no "puzzlement" as to why I am using an aerial from 1951, twenty years after the course was built and possibly altered by the site's intervening history.  The fact is we were unable to find an earlier aerial.  We also studied a 1964 aerial to better understand the evolution of the course but clearly saw no benefit in using that for any guidance.

In 1951, nine of the greens all had bunkers placed front left and front right (7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 18).  Today, the first and second holes also have the same affliction.  I don't care who originally designed this golf course, but to have nine greens complexes bunkered exactly the same is poor design (my subjective opinion that no one will ever change).  To have 11 such greens complexes today is, of course, worse.  My first thought with that is that I don't recall seeing any Ross courses with such repetition that had not been changed since.  This red flag tells me someone may have made changes to CCA since Ross that no one alive may be aware of.
Let me go ahead and answer Ben's inevitable question following that statement, "Why, then, if you think someone may have tampered with the course since Ross, would you choose to use the 1951 aerial for guidance?"  No one can say if the putting surfaces were changed at that point and so I chose to use the 1951 shapes and sizes as inspiration instead of coming up with my own subjective shapes and sizes.  That design decision should not be blown out of proportion such that someone may think the golf course will be ruined.

Now, let's review the history of the greens from the 1960's to today. It is my understanding, after touring the golf course with the former golf professional, Les Stradley, that many of these greens were changed in the sixties.  Les first walked the golf course when he was six years old (early fifties) and was the pro there for thirty years starting back in the late seventies.

The general manager in the early sixties decided he was going to make the golf course easier to play.  To accomplish his desired goal, he changed the following greens by basically taking the highs and dragging them down into the lows:  1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 16, and 18.  Number 15 was moved to the right prior to the fifties to accommodate a pond that has since been filled in. The eighth green was rebuilt when a 36" pipe was installed directly underneath it sometime in the past thirty years.  That leaves only eight greens which have not been changed since Ross's days (that we know of).

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the greens that people have grown accustomed to over time.  That is why design is so subjective (again).  But to claim impending destruction of a beloved Ross green is simply not accurate.  Regarding the movement of the greens at CCA as part of this work, here are the greens that I am moving and the distance of the center point movement of each:

#2 - 46 feet to the right and back 26 yards.  The movement to the right is to get some breathing room from the third tee complex and the increase in length is per the desire by the Client to increase the golf course length for modern equipment.

#4 - 39 feet forward to try to fit the green into the hillside better and farther away from the back tees for the next hole.

#5 - 60 feet to the left, closer to the creek and farther away from six tee.  This is in order to bring the creek into play more strategically and works in conjunction with removing the cart path down that left side. 

#7 - 49 feet to the left, again closer to the creek.  This time the decision is mostly to get farther away from the eighth hole tee complex (yet for strategy's sake as well).

#8 - 37 feet to the right to provide room for the new pipe to be installed to the left and NOT under the existing green location. Nine tees are moving to the right as well.

#10 - 37 feet to the left to get away from #11 tee.

#11 - 22 feet to the right to get closer to the creek on that side and also to give some extra breathing room from #12 tees.

#12 - 88 feet to the left.  This green is the one that one could classify as a routing change as I am swapping the green location and the tee location for the following hole.  The reason is that I feel the flow of play works better that way by not making golfers go around the green on the right and back behind to the left to the next tee.  It seems convoluted and adds unnecessary cart path.  Eliminating cart path here helped us minimize the amount of impervious surface on the site (a crucial element of the permit process for this particular project and jurisdiction). This also allows us to enlarge the tees for the 13th hole.

#13 - 74 feet forward but on the same line (although, yes, the orientation will change as a result but we will rotate the green to replicate the same orientation as it exists today). The hole will be lengthened by a net 11 yards from the back tee.

#16 - 39 feet closer to the fairway to better fit the green into the hillside as we plan to implement the only Ross drawing we have of CCA, a layout of this hole he drew for George Thomas's book.

The center points of greens 14, 15 and 18 are being moved no more than fifteen feet or so in each case.  Every green move considers safety, as there are many greens that are very close to adjacent tees.  Personally, I have no problem with the locations but in this day and age there are very real liability concerns out there that we deal with every day.  Insurance companies will walk a golf course and lower rates based on these issues, among others.  I have been asked by many clients over the years if I could assist them in lowering their liability premiums. If they help lower the bottom line for my Client and don't compromise the overall design of the golf course, then so be it.

So five "original" Ross greens are being moved (4, 7, 11, 12, and 13), with only 12 and 13 that could really be deemed as routing changes.  If this was a restoration, then you could question my motives, but this was always a renovation. Nonetheless, none of these moves should be considered drastic (again, my opinion). 

My plan is, where I have previous knowledge (and it makes sense), to try to restore what was previously there (and please don't over-analyze my use of the word restore right here) on as many putting greens as possible.  For instance, as number four is pretty accurate, I plan to keep the two highs in the back and the one to the right so there is that same potato-chip effect when we are done.  On number six, I will bring back three ridges at 11:30, 1:00, and 3:00 (if you look at the green as a clock) that originally emanated from high points on the outer edges of the green.  Where I have no previous information, I will create the most interesting greens as I can taking other Ross green trends as cues.

Ben, I would love to hear some of the design decisions I have made that you question my time spent on site.  Also, what non-Ross elements did you see that question that aspect as well? I am removing the mounds to the left of four fairway and converting the two fairway bunkers to the right of seven into mounds because none of those items are original and look terribly manufactured.

As Tom Doak so well expressed, I do want to improve CCA, primarily from a functional standpoint as it relates to maintenance and playability.  One of the things I will be doing is expanding the fairways.  Budgetary constraints limit the number of tees we would like to add.  I especially want to eliminate the repetitiveness of the greens complexes as it relates to bunker placement.  But none of it will be a Richard Mandell statement, even if the Client alluded to it in the beginning of my presentation.  You must review my response and respect that.

Dear Kris,
I never claimed any work at Myers Park Country Club with the Bacon Park clients nor did I ever show them pictures of MPCC.  So please quit fomenting that mis-information.  Don't say anything more.  It is wrong.

Regarding Forsyth Country Club, I simply have it listed on my course list and it does fall among the Ross courses I did (under Dan Maples).  Never did I claim a restoration.  It clearly states "Donald Ross Projects".  That was one of my first projects with Dan Maples Design and it clearly states so.  Anyone can clearly note the time line, see your involvement, and be done with it.  Please do the same.  That said, I did consider not listing it in my list of works, but the fact is that I did do work on it back in 1991.  Its Donald Ross authenticity can be questioned all day long, but no one ever called that project a restoration and it wasn't my decision to make.  Dan Maples Design did what the membership wanted at the time.  So please drop that inference as well.

Regarding Raleigh Country Club, I restored the bunkers as best as I could based on the Ross 1948 Master Plan and a 1954 aerial photo.  This was done without the freedom to re-do the greens themselves (Which were all completely redesigned and built by David Postlethwait sometime in the nineties).

Hopefully I covered everyone's questions and I am glad to have a spirited debate about golf course architecture, which is why this website exists.  But I am tired of defending myself about so many things.  To discuss properly takes a good few hours out of my time because I refuse to just spout off on items like so many other do on GCA.

Ben, wouldn't it have been more constructive to just come out and say, "Richard Mandell is planning on some work out at CCA and I am interested in his perspective because I am concerned about the golf course's heritage.  Maybe he would be willing to shed some light on things."  Just an idea.  Ben, you will indeed have to just wait and see what happens.  I invite you to come along on a walk-through one day this summer and I will be glad to share with you my thoughts.

If anyone here wonders why golf architects don't participate fully here, it is threads like these that are accusatory and libelous and just plainly ridiculous for professionals to have to take time out of their day to respond to.  Coupled with the accusation on GCA that I was looking to hire an unpaid intern a few months ago, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if I never posted again.

But I will and I will be glad to engage in constructive discussions.  The rest of them should be deleted and many of you really need to think about how you want to approach discussions.  Many industry people despise this website because of the behavior and finger-pointing, and more importantly the mis-information.

One great example of this is when someone beat up on Kipp Schulties because an article referred to him as one of the leaders in his field (or along those lines).  After reading the thread, I was compelled to see this article and lo and behold, whoever started the thread missed a comma which clearly attributes the comment to the next company in that list of companies (not even a golf course designer).  In other words, that particular thread was based on not reading something else correctly.  Yet none of the participants in that thread ever got to that discovery.

So please quit beating up on people who are trying to do the right thing and just discuss architecture in a nice way. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:24:53 PM by Richard_Mandell »

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 02:18:06 PM »
Yes, and I can't get the damn font size right either.  I would love to be able to restore it the right way. Fixed now, so apparently I can!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:25:29 PM by Richard_Mandell »

Brian Finn

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »
When does the work begin?  I have been meaning to play here since moving to NC a few months ago.  It would be fun to see it before and after the work. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back