News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

Re: Feature Interview with Paul Rudovsky is posted
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 09:52:20 PM »

I once played 4 holes at Merion, properly looked around the clubhouse and had dinner as opposed to a race around game, quick beer and disappearing.

That's amazing to me that you had the chance to play that course and didn't, choosing to look around the clubhouse instead. Shouldn't you be spending your time on dinneratlas.com?

John Sabino

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 08:03:17 AM »
Ran - Fabulous idea featuring Paul, you summed it up in your introduction with the correct word: "crazy" indeed, as I tell him all the time. Sometimes I get exhausted just reading through his itineraries and travel plans.

Paul - Keep up the great work on your blog. Your short, concise descriptions of courses and experiences is spot on. Nice to see Shelter Harbor getting some recognition, a quality course. You should seek an endorsement deal from General Mills to sponsor your golf travels, you are their greatest spokesman for Fiber One!
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 10:15:41 AM »
Jud--

While I may not love every minute on some the courses I travel to play, I do think that one learns from playing all types of courses.  There is something to learn when playing a course you don't like...it can help one understand the things that make one one's you love so so good.  Think about that for a minute...and wanting to see some different courses is not necessarily obsessing, just as playing only one style of course is not necessarily obsessing...

Paul

Paul Jones

Re: Feature Interview with Paul Rudovsky is posted New
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
It is a small world... 

I booked a trip to Australia a few years ago with the help from people from this site.  Through this site, I got in touch with Mark Williamson.  Mark and I get paired up with Paul and Pat at Royal Melbourne and became friends.  From there we meet up separately with John Cornish and Michael Taylor and we have all stayed in touch over the years.  Michael made a trip to Boston and I came up to meet him and PaulR and we all played golf together. I have to admit, none of this would have happen if not for this site.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:07:47 AM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 06:48:25 AM »

Paul, love your commentary & enthusiasm.

Your lack of love for the Alotian, Nine Bridges & Ayodhya Links is duly noted, bro.

Bill--

thanks so much.  one clarification...i did like Ayodhya Links when I played it late last year...I thought they did an amazing job shaping the dead flat land (this is another one laking a great site...but the entire landscape is dead flat in this area near Bangkok).  They had had a whole bunch of rain the few days before I was there and the course was fairly wet.  That made it hard to judge it. 

Of course, weather issues can make one day visits very suspect.  In an ideal world i would like to go back there a few times to see how firm na daft it gets and get a sense of how frequently it is firm and fast...but that in't going to happen

Paul

Jud_T

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
Paul,

I agree that one can learn what you do like from playing courses you don't.  I disagree that you have to play dozens of the same type of courses or courses by the same designer to learn these lessons (or that they need to be Top 100 courses).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:31:05 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve Lapper

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »
Where in the World is Waldo Rudovsky??

So he's heading up on his Spring migration from Pinehurst yesterday and as usual, he's planned a few golfing stops along the way. He's staying with us overnight (only because my wife feels sorry for his) in Far Hills and he's determined to play both Saucon Valley and CC of Scranton in the same day before arriving.

Naturally, any of us would consult either Google Maps, Waze, or some other electronic navigation device before making plans....but noooooo....not our Waldo.

He's gone off the reservation and decided to play Saucon early in the am (45min due South of us) before driving 1.5 hrs completely in the wrong direction (NW) to Scranton for an 18,  thus creating another 2.1 hr drive back to Far Hills. This from a purported MIT Grad!!

Lest any of you get the wrong idea that Ran profiled him for his travel acumen, it's abundantly clear this man played around the world without even the benefit of a sense of direction. Thus, I nominate Paul "Waldo" Rudovsky as GCA  Ace Cartographer of the Year!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:08:08 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

David Davis

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 01:42:16 PM »

So he's heading up on his Spring migration from Pinehurst yesterday and as usual, he's planned a few golfing stops along the way. He's staying with us overnight (only because my wife feels sorry for his) in Far Hills and he's determined to play both Saucon Valley and CC of Scranton in the same day before arriving.

Naturally, any of us would consult either Google Maps, Waze, or some other electronic navigation device before making plans....but noooooo....not our Waldo.

He's gone off the reservation and decided to play Saucon early in the am (45min due South of us) before driving 1.5 hrs completely in the wrong direction (NW) to Scranton for an 18,  thus creating another 2.1 hr drive back to Far Hills. This from a purported MIT Grad!!

Lest any of you get the wrong idea that Ran profiled him for his travel acumen, it's abundantly clear this man played around the world without even the benefit of a sense of direction. Thus, I nominate Paul "Waldo" Rudovsky as GCA  Ace Cartographer of the Year!

+1

But Steve, what's a few extra hours in the car if your use to playing your morning round on the East Coast and your afternoon round on the West Coast. Or Hong Kong, Dubai and South Africa on one 4 day trip.

It's all relative I suppose.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Brad Tufts

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 04:12:41 PM »
Hi Paul,

Great stuff...looking forward to meeting you in September in Ireland!  I sent you a PM...

-Brad T.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Neil Regan

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2016, 09:48:29 PM »

Steve,
  Is that the other South ? :)

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Steve Lapper

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2016, 05:22:19 AM »

Steve,
  Is that the other South ? :)

When Waldo, and his other sidekicks from the SOUTH....Golf's Most Bitter & His Traveling Personal Physician, are in the neighborhood, magnetic fields and most other things gets distorted ::) ;D !!!

Hope to see you soon!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back