News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

The initial USGA collaboration courses...
« on: May 05, 2016, 09:02:02 AM »
Well, the initial USGA collaboration efforts were posted and was as I expected. 

The Pointe University near my course was chosen as one of the "lucky".  This is a golf course that added nine holes by a developer who could not make it go and thus donated it to a small private Christian university to try and make a go.  There are too many courses in that area and there is no maintenance to speak of.
The free market was handling things.  This is a joke and what really gets me is that the surrounding courses who are paying USGA dues etc are now indirectly subsidizing the efforts for something that should never have been built to hang on a little longer. 
At the end of the day some guy will make a few bucks advising and some donor will pay for a few improvements and then maintenance will be considered. 
This is not an effort that helps golf...it just makes for good PR..

It makes no sense....just FYI
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Michael Blake

Re: The initial USGA collaboration courses...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
Here are the 6 chosen sites:

·    Carolina Springs Golf Club (Fountain Inn, S.C.)
 ·    Connecticut National Golf Club (Putnam, Conn.)
 ·    Carey Park Golf Course (Hutchinson, Kan.)
 ·    EdgeBrook Golf Course (Brookings, S.D.)
 ·    Point University Golf Club (Lanett, Ala.)
 ·    Simsbury Farms Golf Course (West Simsbury, Conn.)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 10:42:20 AM »
Mike,

It makes good PR, no doubt, but won't it help owners in the long run? The info gained from this pursuit isn't top-secret, it will be shared with others.

The USGA says that they received 30 applications, a tiny number, so it doesn't seem to be some mega-initiative that could damage anyone in the public sector.

I don't know a thing about the course you mentioned, outside of it seems to be the only course located in an area with a population of ca.18k folks. The other options are 17(LaGrange), 28(Auburn), and 40(Columbus) miles away.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »
Mike,

It makes good PR, no doubt, but won't it help owners in the long run? The info gained from this pursuit isn't top-secret, it will be shared with others.

The USGA says that they received 30 applications, a tiny number, so it doesn't seem to be some mega-initiative that could damage anyone in the public sector.

I don't know a thing about the course you mentioned, outside of it seems to be the only course located in an area with a population of ca.18k folks. The other options are 17(LaGrange), 28(Auburn), and 40(Columbus) miles away.
Jim,
I have a course in LaGrange that competes directly with it as do the other courses you mention.  Auburn has the RTJ courses and Callaway Gardens has 36 holes 15 miles from the place.  If it were an effort to help the junors in the area etc then I would see it differently but when it is there to compete with myself and others who are providing a produc then I have a major problem.  It's one of those that should have never been there and should have gone away and will IMHO.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 04:08:34 PM »
Mike,
The courses I mentioned are all 25 miles (google map directions) or more away from Point University, including Callaway Gardens, Grand National, Indian Pines, and The Fields. If the 20 miles / 80% of play rule applies then is it really an uneven playing ground?   
Fees at Callaway and Grand National are +twice those of your course (which looks fantastic from the website), so I'd have to think the value you're presenting has to steer traffic to you.  Point U., looks to be in your price range, but Indian Pines is less expensive than everyone. I'd guess that the 9 hole American Legion course in LaGrange was the 'cheapest' of them all, but it looks closed.

The Fields also has the advantage of having its own architect in residence ;D , so how much more can Point U learn that you don't already know, and know how to implement.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:12:51 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 05:09:55 PM »
Mike,
The courses I mentioned are all 25 miles (google map directions) or more away from Point University, including Callaway Gardens, Grand National, Indian Pines, and The Fields. If the 20 miles / 80% of play rule applies then is it really an uneven playing ground?   
Fees at Callaway and Grand National are +twice those of your course (which looks fantastic from the website), so I'd have to think the value you're presenting has to steer traffic to you.  Point U., looks to be in your price range, but Indian Pines is less expensive than everyone. I'd guess that the 9 hole American Legion course in LaGrange was the 'cheapest' of them all, but it looks closed.

The Fields also has the advantage of having its own architect in residence ;D , so how much more can Point U learn that you don't already know, and know how to implement.

Jim,
Around here we all consider the courses you mention to be local competition.  And even though they advertise higher fees, Callaway is cheaper than myself.  They allow locals to play for $125 per month.  The American Legion closed and The Point which was called Riverside until recently is just one of those things that doesn't work.  When it came out they were one of the "chosen" it sort of proved my point to myself.  USGA is doing golf no service in trying to prolong something such as this.  Today we probably have 25 of their old players here due to conditions.  I see nothing the USGA adds to my bottom line. :)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 03:55:09 PM »
Mike — Sounds like you either like to suck on sour grapes, or perhaps it's a part of the diet in your neck o' the woods. The applications were robust and a panel looked them over, weighed the positives and decided. You may not like that, but in the long run I do think it is good for the game, plus those who are fortunate to get the review to help further their facility. Since you were not on the panel who looked over each of the applications and backgrounds I think it best that you take the higher road and simply comment on whatever good you can see in the outcome.

— Your Dutch Uncle, Forrest
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 04:10:58 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 07:44:07 PM »
Mike — Sounds like you either like to suck on sour grapes, or perhaps it's a part of the diet in your neck o' the woods. The applications were robust and a panel looked them over, weighed the positives and decided. You may not like that, but in the long run I do think it is good for the game, plus those who are fortunate to get the review to help further their facility. Since you were not on the panel who looked over each of the applications and backgrounds I think it best that you take the higher road and simply comment on whatever good you can see in the outcome.

— Your Dutch Uncle, Forrest

Hello Forrest,

No I'm particularly fond of sour grapes just looking at it as business.  I was only speaking of one course out of the 30 or so applicants and did not make a judgement on any of the others.  I only made a judgement on this one because I am very familiar with it and have loaned it equipment etc ( along w other local courses) for the last few years.  When the developer decided to give it to the University it changed even further and it is now just one of those we all know will go away.  Just not in the right spot to compete.  As for the panel, that is not my concern...as a USGA member I don't care to fund my competition one cent via the USGA.  But for the sake of argument I will just revisit this particular project in a year or two and see how it has progressed.
Take care and feel free to "Dutch Uncle" me anytime.

Mike Y

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 08:14:09 PM »
OK my fellow Nephew. Sounds good.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back