News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Traverse City and Delta Airlines
« on: May 02, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »
I had just dropped my son off at the ATL airport yesterday and was heading home when an advert for Delta Airlines came on the radio. A new non-stop flight from ATL to Traverse City was being promoted. That's a good thing for folks in the SE. (On prior visits to TC we flew into Flint and rented a car. It's a long car ride. The alternative, taking a puddle-jumper into TC, is expensive.)

What surprised me was that the radio spot was based on an appeal to golfers, calling TC the "summer headquarters for golf" or something like that. Then the announcer reeled off the names of famous architects who had done courses in the area, from Nicklaus, to RTJ, to Fazio and so on. (No mention of Doak, unfortunately.)

Two things struck me. First, the celebrity of certain golf architects and their role in marketing travel. The advert simply assumed their names would be familiar to the generic radio listener.

Second, is it possible that a new Delta route was created solely on the strength of potential golf travel to the area? Is golf travel now that big?

More broadly, is that a good thing or a sign the apocalypse is upon us?

Bob

Howard Riefs

Re: Traverse City and Delta Airlines
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »
(On prior visits to TC we flew into Flint and rented a car. It's a long car ride. The alternative, taking a puddle-jumper into TC, is expensive.)

You can also fly into Grand Rapids and drive 2.5 hours north. It's a little shorter than the Flint route and Delta has direct flights from ATL.

Second, is it possible that a new Delta route was created solely on the strength of potential golf travel to the area? Is golf travel now that big?

Last year, United added seasonal service from Denver to North Bend to attract the Bandon traveler.

http://bandondunesgolf.com/blog/united-airlines-eases-travel-time-bandon-dunes

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:17:22 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 01:02:28 PM »
I've heard this ad as well and love it.  I imagine for many Atlanta golfers that time is more precious a commodity than money, and if they plan to take a golfing vacation then they need to use their time wisely.  This route brings Michigan into play for me in a way that wasn't realistic before hand. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 01:34:19 PM »
Does anyone know when the second (Doak/reversible) course at Forest Dunes is going to open?

David Davis

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 01:44:16 PM »
In May of last year, I flew Delta from Detroit up there and it was an extremely reasonably priced round trip. Since I was on an international stop-over on my way out to visit my mom in Oregon it was a perfect solution. I don't think the flight was 150. Interestingly enough I must of missed the commercial as I didn't see a single Nicklaus, RTJ or Fazio design up there. The rental car company must of pre-programmed my car to miss them all ;-)
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »
Although the bulk of my travel from Pensacola has historically been through ATL with Delta  >:(   I flew into Traverse City on United via O'Hare.   The new Traverse City Delta route is provocative!

I think that announcement is good for golf and great for Traverse City.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 02:02:21 PM »
Does anyone know when the second (Doak/reversible) course at Forest Dunes is going to open?

The first day you can book a tee time is June 27, after their member-guest the previous weekend.  Not sure yet if they are opening all 18 holes or just the first 5 and last 5.

The direct flight to ATL is interesting though they don't offer it in the winter when us locals would need it.  I'll have to have my agent talk to Delta about their ads!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 02:18:04 PM »

The first day you can book a tee time is June 27, after their member-guest the previous weekend.  Not sure yet if they are opening all 18 holes or just the first 5 and last 5.

The direct flight to ATL is interesting though they don't offer it in the winter when us locals would need it.  I'll have to have my agent talk to Delta about their ads!

Thanks Tom. 

Buck Wolter

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 02:37:26 PM »
I pay quite a bit of attention to TVC flights and they are an interesting case study. Pretty sure ATL, DEN and LGA are only Saturday flights during the summer. Minneapolis Chicago and Detroit are the only daily non-stops I think.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 03:18:28 PM »

Also, according to the website...
"Only Forest Dunes overnight guests will have the opportunity to play the course during the preview period this year and the daily round total will be limited."
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 08:27:19 PM »
Bob,
Golf routes are lucrative due to the luggage fees...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 06:50:40 AM »
In May of last year, I flew Delta from Detroit up there and it was an extremely reasonably priced round trip. Since I was on an international stop-over on my way out to visit my mom in Oregon it was a perfect solution. I don't think the flight was 150. Interestingly enough I must of missed the commercial as I didn't see a single Nicklaus, RTJ or Fazio design up there. The rental car company must of pre-programmed my car to miss them all ;-)

The Bear (Nicklaus) at Grand Traverse Resort is less than 10 miles from the TC airport. There is also a Player course there. Treetops Resort, which has an RTJ, Fazio and 2 Rick Smith courses, is an hour from the airport.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

BCrosby

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »
Bob,

Probably something to that. Still, even with added baggage fees, you don't want your airplanes flying around with a bunch of empty seats. Delta's bet on golfer traffic to TVC surprises me. A good golf destination but not one I would have targeted for golfers from the SE.

If you are targeting a golf market, Delta should re-instate the Edinburgh non-stop.

Bob

Buck Wolter

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 10:28:15 AM »
Bob,

Probably something to that. Still, even with added baggage fees, you don't want your airplanes flying around with a bunch of empty seats. Delta's bet on golfer traffic to TVC surprises me. A good golf destination but not one I would have targeted for golfers from the SE.

If you are targeting a golf market, Delta should re-instate the Edinburgh non-stop.

Bob

Northern Michigan is a surprisingly big summer destination (surprising to those outside the Midwest)--I don't think they are just betting on golfers to fill the planes especially with Saturday only flights --not many 7 day buddy trips.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

JLahrman

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
Don't forget the cherry festival! Northern Michigan is a great place especially in the summer. Lots of great golf though I don't know if that alone can explain expanded flights.

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 12:52:39 PM »
There are lots of wonderful non-golf things to do in northern Michigan, but that is not how Delta is advertising its new TVC flights.

Delta is aiming its advertising at golfers.  But not just any golfers. Their ads are aimed at golfers with an appreciation of the 'famous' names in golf architecture. That's what I found remarkable.

Golf travel by that subset of golfers must be a much bigger deal than I had thought.

Bob

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 01:01:56 PM »
There are lots of wonderful non-golf things to do in northern Michigan, but that is not how Delta is advertising its new TVC flights.

Delta is aiming its advertising at golfers.  But not just any golfers. Their ads are aimed at golfers with an appreciation of the 'famous' names in golf architecture. That's what I found remarkable.

Golf travel by that subset of golfers must be a much bigger deal than I had thought.

Bob

or there's an executive at delta who has family or enjoys golf in Northern MI...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 03:01:17 PM »
In my experience, not very much airline advertising is route- or destination-specific (and I would bet that most demand isn't affected by advertising, but instead by need and pricing, which is quite transparent these days).  It may simply be that they think the route generally makes sense but that they also see a small but potentially high-spend group of consumers that will help at the margins.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
I love the Southeast.  That being said is there anywhere better than Traverse City in the summer?  It's incredible.  Hopefully this flight does well.

Frank M

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 11:33:56 PM »
I love the Southeast.  That being said is there anywhere better than Traverse City in the summer?  It's incredible.  Hopefully this flight does well.

Very well said. Just spectacular in the summer. I've been going there regularly since I was a child and can't think of a place I'd rather be.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back