News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: William Flynn Greens
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2021, 01:34:31 PM »
There is not much talk about them on this site but William Gordon’s greens are very similar to Flynn’s which should be no surprise as Gordon worked for Flynn for many years.  Gordon’s bunkers, however, are a different matter.  I have said many times, Gordon paid close attention to how Flynn designed his greens but missed most of Flynn’s bunker classes.  There is a distinct difference between the two architects when it came to bunkering.

Missing Gordon greens to the short side is always a predictably long next putt.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

mike_malone

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2021, 10:04:09 PM »
My experience with Gordon greens is much more undulations.
AKA Mayday

Jim Sherma

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2021, 01:26:18 PM »
Mark - In regards to Flynn vs Gordon bunkers, what are the significant differences that you considered in your comment. Construction, strategic intent or something else? Also, how much is a function of the land that they were given to work on.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2021, 08:08:47 PM »
Jim,
I have always felt Gordon’s bunkering vs Flynn’s is generally much more formulaic and more predictable.  I am not at my home office with all my information but off the top of my head I can’t think of a single Gordon course where the bunkering inspires me.  It’s basic and functional but usually not much more.  His greens, however, were where he shined and I still think they were closer to what Flynn did (no buried elephants or tiers), just smooth flowing with what I call roll-offs and pull-ups.  I think Ron Forse once called Flynn’s greens potato chips and Gordon did the same.  Other than Stanwich, I am trying to think of a real set of severe (extensive internal contour) Gordon greens?? Can you?

mike_malone

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2021, 08:15:00 PM »
Mark,

Old York Road is Gordon, right?  It’s greens are so undulating it’s hard to find pin placements.
AKA Mayday

MCirba

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2021, 08:38:53 PM »
Mark,

Old York Road is Gordon, right?  It’s greens are so undulating it’s hard to find pin placements.

May be their wildest greens. 

Mark_Fine

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2021, 07:10:44 AM »
Mike,
I am not sure about Old York Road but I trust you are correct. I have not played that one. You sure they are original greens?  Is it a William Gordon?

MCirba

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2021, 08:50:37 AM »
Mark,

Yes, I don't know what their marching orders were but they are a funky outlier in the vast Gordon's catalog.  Worth a visit, as is Medford Village.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2021, 10:52:36 PM »
Mark - Off the top of my head I always liked Locust Valley’s set of greens. There were definitely a few greens with some significant internal movement.

More generally, after our round at Bethlehem I am no longer sure what is attributable to the as built design versus that plus decades of top dressing, thatch and sand splash build-up. Certainly they are intimately connected, but also distinct in important ways as well.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2021, 06:12:21 PM »
Jim,
Yes I liked Locust Valley's greens as well but sadly they no longer exist. But even there, no buried elephants and no trying to putt up and over and through the clown's nose.   :D

Bethlehem has a wonderful set of "Gordon" greens.  As you correctly point out, years of change, evolution and maintenance have a significant impact on what was first built - much more than most realize.  When you work on an old green it is a bit like peeling back an onion to see how it evolved.  As we discussed, the sand build up there  was incredible.

Brian Finn

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2021, 03:54:48 PM »
The Fried Egg's latest podcast is an interview with Wayne Morrison about William Flynn.  Really interesting and informative. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Kyle Harris

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2021, 11:15:03 AM »
Mark,

May be their wildest greens.

Not even close.

Bucks County Country Club.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

archie_struthers

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2021, 12:33:37 PM »
 8)

Always felt Flynn used triangles in his design of greens. Many of the fronts are smallish and widen from a point.  The 18th at Philadelphia CC and many of the Indian Creek surfaces bring that to mind as you assess them. Lots more examples for sure but this was a feature that always struck me as a personal tick of Mr Flynn.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back