News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Amarnek

Pinehurst Trip Recommendations
« on: April 27, 2016, 01:30:11 PM »
8 of us are traveling to Pinehurst in July to help celebrate a friend's 65th birthday and I have made tentative reservations for at least three rounds of golf.  Our handicaps range from the low single digits to about 15.  Speaking with the Pinehurst rep, I have made tentative tee times on three courses and was wondering what those of you with experience at Pinehurst would recommend.
We are playing #2 for sure.
The fellow I spoke with suggested adding #8 and #9, which I have done, although I can change it if need be. 
Additionally, has anyone visited the Tufts Archives and would that be a worthwhile diversion?
Your thoughts would be welcome!
David

Bill_McBride

Re: Pinehurst Trip Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »
Three words:   Pine Crest Inn.   Clean rooms, great food, best bar and porch in town, walk to the first tee at #2. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 01:38:34 PM »
I would play Pine Needles and Mid Pines over #8 and 9. 

BCowan

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 01:43:25 PM »
Breakfast at Pinehurst ''Tracks'' Restaurant one day.  Don't tell too many people about this gem (Cash only)

Play Mid Pines and Pine Needles.  The Bar at Pine Needles is my personal favorite.  Could stay perched there all night  ;)

Pinehurst in July be prepared for toasty weather...

David Amarnek

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 01:52:55 PM »
Ben,
Re. the weather, thanks, but these guys are from St. Louis and are very used to high temps and humidity.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 01:54:52 PM »
How many rounds at Pinehurst does your package include? You may be able to get #2 (plus upcharge) approved for multiple rounds. I would heed Ben's advice and play MP, PN along with Southern Pines, Dormie Club and Tobacco Road. You may want to play TR inbound or outbound depending on schedule as it's closer to RDU. Tufts Archives is definitely worth your time. Check their schedule as weekend hours are limited. 
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Andrew Buck

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »
Pine Needles will be closed for green conversion, but be sure to play Mid Pines.  I also really enjoyed Dormie.

I know #8 at the resort has bermuda ultra-dwarf greens, and I don't believe #9 or #4 do, so I think I'd prioritize #8 second on resort rounds in July. 

Last year, we hit a stretch in mid June where the lowest high was 102 with high humidity.  I'm hopeful this June is about 10 degrees less.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:25:17 PM by Andrew Buck »

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
David,

For guys from St. Louis, Pinehurst in August will feel like heading "north to the cabin" :)

Honestly, don't waste your time or $ with any of the courses at the resort other than #2. You should 1000% play #2. I played it ~3 weeks ago and it was in awesome shape. Otherwise, you should go play Mid-Pines, Pine Needles, Dormie, Tobacco Road all before anything else at the resort. A call from your pro down in St. Louis might be able to get you guys onto Forest Creek (just a mile down the road), if that's the case the experience is awesome and the North Course there is really underrated (See Ran's Review).

As stated above, Tracks for breakfast every day if you can swing it. Cash only, dive spot behind the Pinehurst Horse Track. Awesome spot.

If you get in a little early, but don't have time for golf. The putting course at Pinehurst is really fun. Grab a couple of drinks and putt away.

One night you should certainly do dinner followed by drinks at the Pine Crest.

Not a ton of good food in Pinehurst, better options in Southern Pines. Call one of the van (8+ people) taxis to drive you back and forth. Some fun restaurants and bars there.

Tufts archives are very cool. But I wouldn't sacrifice a good round of golf on it. It's July, so there is a good chance of an afternoon thunderstorm or two. If you get rained out, then it's a fun diversion.
H.P.S.

David Amarnek

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 02:10:19 PM »
Pinehurst resorts (two night stay) includes three rounds with a $190 up-charge for #2.
We are scheduled to play #8 on our day of arrival, #2 the next afternoon and #9 the last morning before flying out of Moore County Regional Airport. 
PCraig and others, I'll have to look into Mid Pines and Dormie and perhaps reconsider staying at the resort altogether.
Thanks!!

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 02:12:31 PM »
I just returned from a trip to Pinehurst last weekend.  We played #2, #4, #9, Pine Needles and Mid-Pines.

If you are only playing 3 rounds, #2 is a must which you stated.  Mid-Pines was my 2nd favorite that we played, by far.  Pine Needles will be closed to switch to Bermuda greens - which may mean you can get a real nice rate to stay there? ??? ?  We stayed in room 159 (4 guys), it had 2 Queens and 2 Twins up in the loft with 2 full bathrooms.  Was only $240/night.  The bar there is real nice, better than the Mid-Pines bar.

Tobacco Road is one of my personal favorites as well.  Add that to your list to play.

We ate at the Villager Deli for lunch - very good.

Enjoy your trip!
Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

BCowan

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 02:17:01 PM »
David,

I'd highly recommend staying at Pine Needles.  If you like a lodge feeling many of the rooms have been updated and have a great feel to them.  They have greens next to the rooms in which they keep lighted at night, night putting  8) .  There is also a fun 4 hole course at Pine Needles that might or might not be open.  Pine Needles and Mid Pines are across the street from one another.  You might be able to still play #2 without staying there since it isn't peak season, not positive though

Andrew Buck

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 02:33:34 PM »
Pinehurst resorts (two night stay) includes three rounds with a $190 up-charge for #2.
We are scheduled to play #8 on our day of arrival, #2 the next afternoon and #9 the last morning before flying out of Moore County Regional Airport. 
PCraig and others, I'll have to look into Mid Pines and Dormie and perhaps reconsider staying at the resort altogether.
Thanks!!

Personally, I'd rent a house for the 8 of you in the village, and then get a "throwaway" room at the manor inn (cheapest option) to guarantee access to #2.  One day package, with upcharge for #2 will cost you $500, but also include one breakfast at the resort.  Definitely play Mid Pines, it really does rival #2 yard for yard.  With Pine Needles closed, I think Dormie is an easy option, and with a bigger group, don't overlook the fun that can be had playing #1 for cart fee only with beer and carts as a replay the day you play #2. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:38:43 PM by Andrew Buck »

Andrew Buck

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 02:37:38 PM »

Tobacco Road is one of my personal favorites as well.  Add that to your list to play.

I really enjoyed Tobacco Road, and would like another crack.  That said, it was the only round we played that took longer than 4:15 to play, and if your group doesn't all appreciate unique architecture, a 5:30 hour round in 100 degree heat in that old mine can go sideways in a hurry. 

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 02:38:13 PM »
Heading down in May and very excited to play Dormie, but just saw this recent review on Yelp? 
http://www.yelp.com/biz/dormie-club-west-end?hrid=cl798na22Mwtc2EgTiMMkA&utm_campaign=www_review_share_popup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct)

Anyone played there lately?

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 03:17:34 PM »
Thanks!!

Yeah, I would stay at Pine Needles/Mid Pines and/or the Pine Crest. Either of those places should be able to get you onto #2 in July, which is hardly peak season in Pinehurst. I would scrap the rounds on #8 and #9. Much better golf elsewhere in town.
H.P.S.

Chad Anderson (Tennessee)

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »

I really enjoyed Tobacco Road, and would like another crack.  That said, it was the only round we played that took longer than 4:15 to play, and if your group doesn't all appreciate unique architecture, a 5:30 hour round in 100 degree heat in that old mine can go sideways in a hurry.

I agree - if you only want straight forward, old country club style of golf - pass on this course.  If you want to see something you don't get to play anywhere else, then it is a must.  I played it about 8 years ago in December in the snow, we didn't have any pace of play issues then!
Chad Anderson
Executive Director
Tennessee Golf Association
@tngolf

Carl Rogers

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 03:42:30 PM »
Southern Pines is a good bang for the buck .... and as much of a golf course as you would want to handle.
Tobacco Road is a hoot from start to finish.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 04:01:50 PM »
Heading down in May and very excited to play Dormie, but just saw this recent review on Yelp? 
http://www.yelp.com/biz/dormie-club-west-end?hrid=cl798na22Mwtc2EgTiMMkA&utm_campaign=www_review_share_popup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct)

I take all Yelp restaurant and hotel reviews with a huge grain of salt -- in my experience they reflect a strong bias in favor of low-cost/value options, to the detriment of higher quality places -- and I personally wouldn't rely on Yelp golf course reviews at all. 

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 04:02:43 PM »
Southern Pines is a good bang for the buck .... and as much of a golf course as you would want to handle.
Tobacco Road is a hoot from start to finish.

Given that David & his buddies are flying in and out of Moore County I doubt they care much about bang for the buck.
H.P.S.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 04:36:19 PM »

I take all Yelp restaurant and hotel reviews with a huge grain of salt -- in my experience they reflect a strong bias in favor of low-cost/value options, to the detriment of higher quality places -- and I personally wouldn't rely on Yelp golf course reviews at all.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about this at all.  As long as you know how to get from 6 to 7 and don't need clubhouse frills, it's a great trip.  If you do have a group that sprays the ball all over the course, I would say a forecaddie is money well spent there. 

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 04:47:32 PM »
We are scheduled to play #8 on our day of arrival, #2 the next afternoon and #9 the last morning before flying out of Moore County Regional Airport.  PCraig and others, I'll have to look into Mid Pines and Dormie and perhaps reconsider staying at the resort altogether.

I would push for two rounds at #2. They'll approve it if you ask. We played one round from the blues and one round from the whites. Great way to see the golf course. Our group wasn't overly impressed with #4 nor #8.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
David,

Did the same trip last July, though it was 3 nights. I know there are a lot of local gems to stay and eat but we were very impressed by Pinehurst Resort - the southern hospitality, great facilities, good dining options. Are you doing the deal where you get free breakfast and dinner? The dinner offerings are great, I was expecting a limited menu of chicken breast or something, but I had a steak, an appetizer and salad every night. Next time I go I plan on going off the beaten path more - Pine Crest Inn, Mid Pines, Pine Needles - but for the first time I was really pleased with the resort. I also took the complimentary Acura and drove around town. I wanted to move to Pinehurst.

We did 2, 4 and 8. As previously mentioned, #8 had really fast greens and I found it to be the hardest course. #4 was greener and softer and didn't feel as sand hills like as the others, but I thought it was a good course. More Midwestern in feel. And obviously #2 was as good as advertised.

And you're right, being from St. Louis the July heat will feel just like home.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 04:54:51 PM »
Play Dormie and then go to the Pik N Pig for barbecue.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
Finally, someone said the magic words.
Pik N Pig.

The big 3 of the Pinehurst area.  PineCrest Inn bar
                                                          Track for breakfast
                                                           Pik N Pig for BBQ.
And Southern Pines is great golf.                                                         

BCowan

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 05:15:47 PM »
I'll add to the big 3.   A great watering hole with solid burgers is Maxie's Grill and tap room.  Where all the Pinehurst caddies and locals hang out.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back