News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian_L

Golf in Scotland as a Single - Advice Requested
« on: April 26, 2016, 12:15:28 AM »
Hello all,

I am considering making a solo trip to Scotland from the United States, perhaps for 9-10 days. I am wondering how difficult it might be to secure a round at the more popular courses while I am there. In my very limited research, it looks like most courses do not allow singles to make reservations, but invite golfers to show up the day of play and look for a spot. Do you foresee any issues with this strategy? I would certainly like to play The Old Course and see other courses revered on this site, along with some lesser known tracks.

I am not sure when I would be there, perhaps late summer or fall.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Ash Towe

Re: Golf in Scotland as a Single - Advice Requested
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:52:20 AM »
Ian,
If you book in advance most clubs will let you on as a single or pair you up. The exceptions are St Andrews and Muirfield. Get to St Andrews early in the morning and you have a good chance somebody will let you join them. If you stay at Greywalls Hotel they can get guests on Muirfield,  at a price.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 04:04:44 AM »
Ian,

access should not be an issue at all. Possibly Muirfield might be an issue and if you want to play there I would suggest writing to the secretary asking for their advice on the matter. TOC is as Ash says, just rock up early morning and check in with the starter who should have no problem getting you in a group within the first couple of hours. At most other places I would just write well in advance.

As much as I would like to suggest staying at my wife's guest house and using it as a base to explore the likes of Dornoch, Tain, Brora, Castle Stuart, Nairn, Moray, etc...... and some of the great second tier clubs such as The Boat, Fortrose, Golspie, Elgin, Nairn Dunbar, Wick..... for the ultimate first time experience of Scottish golf if you can find yourself accommodation in the middle of St. Andrews and play ALL the links trust courses, plus Elie, Scotscraig, Leven links.... then you just cannot go wrong.

Jon

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 05:40:00 AM »
Late summer/fall don't forget September is the busiest month of the year in St Andrews. TOC has lots of closures.
Cave Nil Vino

Paul Dolton

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:45:21 AM »
Hi Ian,  I went up to Aberdeen a couple of years ago in September to play in competitions on a Saturday at Trump and following day at Royal Aberdeen. I decided to go up a full week before and play some golf on my own. The help the clubs gave me was fantastic although I did take advantage of early times.
The courses I played were Fraserburgh,  Newburgh on Ythan, Cruden bay , Murcar, and Montrose.
I can not speak highly enough of the way these clubs helped me . Murcar even offered to organise game with members and the Cruden bay manager personally welcomed me to club and showed me around.
All the above courses are well worth playing.
Paul

Jon Heise

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 10:21:09 AM »
I had no issues in October 2013... Muirfield, North Berwick, Oldy.  Call and ask for Muirfield and NB.  Both took me as a single, booked weeks ahead.  Got in line early (5:30) at Old Course.  On by 10am.
I still like Greywalls better.

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:15:52 PM »
I'm heading to the Scottish Highlands this summer with a non-golfing spouse and have had no trouble booking times as a single at Royal Dornoch, Nairn, Brora, etc.

I would recommend you check out the open competitions that each club hosts. I'm planning to play in opens at RD and Tain -- the opens are less expensive than the rack-rate greens fees, and you'll almost certainly be playing with groups of locals.

It seems much easier these days to arrange golf as a single, versus the pre-Internet days when faxing letters to clubs was the norm.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 01:36:53 PM »
Ian, if you're very fortunate you will find yourself sitting alone on a bench before daybreak of a crisp morning  waiting for the light to come on in the starter's hut near the first tee of The Old Course.  If you have any sense, you'll do it again the next day.

The Old Course is perhaps the only playing ground that can reasonably serve as the answer to virtually any legitimate golf architecture question.   

Safe travels.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:47:54 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

K Rafkin

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 02:27:24 PM »
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but at most places i just showed without a tee time as a single and just about every club was accommodating.  Obviously this isn't going to work at a few places like Prestwick and Muirfield, but just about everywhere else I'd guess you'd be fine.  I did this in August/September 2015 and didn't really run into any issues.  Maybe I'm just lucky, but it didn't feel like that.

A few places do however not let out visitors after a certain time of day.  For instance Gullane 1 and Carnoustie don't allow visitors out past 4pm, but a little bit of research should prevent you from running into these types of problems. 

Get in line as early as you can to play the old course.  Losing 1 hour of sleep may help you avoid 4 hours of waiting around.

Either way, sending an e-mail directly to the places you want to play would be 10x more effective than a single thread here.  Be polite, and I'm sure they will accommodate you.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 02:39:28 PM »
I would also add to mix in a few of the 'hidden gems' often discussed on here. Not only will you be surprised how much fun they can be, you will be far more likely to talk to members in the clubhouse. They will be pleased you've made the the trip to see their course and often will ask if you have someone to play with.  It will give you a chance to see what Golf Clubs in Scotland are really like.

Enjoy the trip.
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Brown

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »
I did a solo trip for my 40th birthday in 2014 to Dornoch around July 4th and the north and had a blast.  Played Dornoch 5 times in 3 days.  Nairn, Moray, Fraserburgh, and Cruden Bay.  And 36 at Royal Aberdeen right off the plane from the US the first day - in like 5 hours.  Made tee times at all and arranged caddies.  Stayed at r the courses.  The Royal Golf Hotel in Dornoch might be the best small golf hotel on the planet. 

Played about half the golf as a lone single.  Have done other trips to the same area in August and it was always more crowded in August that June or July.  Also, the days are so much longer in June-July.   

Also, get a car with a gps and it's easy to get around. 

Ian_L

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 01:00:24 AM »
Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful. Doesn't sound like going alone will be an issue. 

Tony, I definitely plan to seek out some lesser known courses, having done the same in Ireland a few years ago. Also makes it easier on the budget.

Ian

Sean Walsh

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:59:06 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree with Steve's suggestion. In 2003 I played a 36 hole open competition at Brora and can say it was one of the three best days I have ever spent on a golf course. Which is saying something considering I had a 9 on the opening hole and played my 3rd shot from the beach.

Charles Lund

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
I have done solo golf travel all over the world.  Scotland works like many other countries.  I wrote emails to clubs and courses where I wanted to play, letting them know I am a solo golf traveler and time windows for play.  I generally include a statement that I am happy to follow any policies for single players such as being paired up with others or going out first thing as a solo player.

I have played approximately 20 different courses in Scotland without much difficulty.   I do wish I had kept rejection emails from Muirfield and Loch Lomond. 

I love the experience of overseas solo golf travel.  I've done over 20 different trips and spent over 18 months traveling this way.  Congratulations on your decision.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 07:00:19 AM »
Charles everyone gets a rejection letter from Loch Lomond if they are not the guest of a member. Singles are welcome at Muirfield, you just need to book a tee time and that's expensive.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back