News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Gallaway

Palm Springs - Memorial Weekend
« on: April 26, 2016, 07:10:04 PM »
In the essence of full disclosure, I can be a bit of a pessimist at times. 

With that said, I'm going to Palm Springs over Memorial Weekend for a wedding.  The group I'm with is enamored by fountains, flowers, and short drives (to the course, probably off the tee as well).  They have lined up golf at Escena and Cimmaron.  It looks like I'll be ducking planes all day long.  Are there endearing qualities to these two gems? I've read through many threads about Palm Springs golf and see them both mentioned with regards to location and value, but not necessarily memorability. 

My plan is to be the team player and enjoy myself with the group.  Since I'm tinkering with my swing, probably best to stick to these courses anyway.  But, I fear that I'll leave disappointed if I don't venture out to one of the more heralded courses.   I am planning on sneaking off to La Quinta - Mountain one of the days.  Given the drive time and prices I don't think I'll have any takers from my group. Any interest out there?

The other side of that...is La Quinta just a better known name?  Am I better off with a long sleeve shirt, cold beer, and good company?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:19:50 PM by Dan Gallaway »

Jordan Standefer

Re: Palm Springs - Memorial Weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 07:38:47 PM »
Dan, I've never played Cimmaron, but I don't mind saying that I enjoy Escena very much.  A good mix of short and medium length par 4s and a good variety of par 3s and par 5s.  (I also like that there are five par 3s and five par 5s.)  Plenty wide, playable waste areas, and interesting enough green complexes.

I wouldn't worry too much about the airplanes.  Palm Springs Regional isn't exactly LAX!  ;D

I would also second trying to get out to La Quinta Mountain.  Some consider it getting "long in the tooth," but I still think that any hole that touches the mountain range (3-6, 13-17) is worth the price of admission.

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 07:44:06 PM »
Jordan - I couldn't have expressed my concern about La Quinta more accurately than you did, but it sounds like it's still worth it.  I appreciate the comments.  Thanks
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:48:53 PM by Dan Gallaway »

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:43:36 AM »
Escena is a good design on an ugly site.  You will enjoy it.

On the public side, I think PGA West Stadium blows away the other options.  I would play that course if I were choosing one premium public course.  I was underwhelmed by La Quinta Mountain.

Get ready to experience the hottest weather you have experienced in your life.  We brought a group of 8 over from Tucson one summer.  Despite the group being used to hot weather we all struggled with the heat.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
I'm with Jason here weather wise.

The Average daily high that time of year....(yes Average)....is a cool 99 degrees.  But its a "dry heat" so should be a blast!  ;D

Chris DeToro

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 12:42:41 PM »
In addition to PGA West, I'd also check out Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:10:26 PM »
I'll second Shadow Ridge, a Schmidt Curley design with Faldo's input. They went for the Melbourne Sandbelt bunker look, both visually stunning and strategic.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 01:17:33 PM »
I'll be in Palm Springs the following weekend.

Not sure where you're coming from, but typically Memorial weekend into early June isn't so horribly hot. At least, it's not like July, where you can get into stuff like 115. Then again, I understand that for most of the country any day that nears triple digits is really, really hot. I'm from Phoenix so that seems like much less of a big deal.

When I'm there, we're scheduled to play PGA West Stadium and La Quinta Mountain, with probably two other rounds. Classic Club, Indian Wells, Shadow Ridge, Terra Lago, and Escena are all on the table.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 01:41:52 PM »
Matt,

I'm glad you qualified your statement being a Phoenician where 100 degrees is a nice Spring day.  Triple digit heat golf is not desirable for at least 95% of golfers if I had to wager a guess.  Here in Utah, we hit triple digits 10-20 days per year and you sure as hell won't find me out there on those days...  ;)

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 02:23:09 PM »
I was in Phoenix a couple weeks ago and snuck in a few rounds.  My impression was mostly, "well, I got away from my in-laws for a few hours".  Then I played Talking Stick - North!  Was ready to go right back out and play again.  I haven't stopped talking about the course yet.  I would love to find that in Palm Springs.  [size=78%] [/size]

I'm travelling down from Seattle and haven't played in desert heat before, maybe my round at Escena will be enough!

Alex Miller

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 02:54:44 PM »
I've played Cimarron! You can do better, especially that time of year when prices drop on the better courses out there. PGA West Stadium would be my choice. Mixed with the oppressive heat it's a sadist's dream!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 03:12:55 PM »
I've played Cimarron! You can do better, especially that time of year when prices drop on the better courses out there. PGA West Stadium would be my choice. Mixed with the oppressive heat it's a sadist's dream!

Alex,

Don't you mean a Masochist's dream?  Now if he was chilling in the 19th hole having a few doubles, while insisting the other boys go and flirt with heat-stroke, that would be the other!  ;)

Alex Miller

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 07:22:47 PM »

Alex,

Don't you mean a Masochist's dream?  Now if he was chilling in the 19th hole having a few doubles, while insisting the other boys go and flirt with heat-stroke, that would be the other!  ;)

I suppose I was thinking about it from the architect's side.  ;D

I did in fact go out last summer and play Stadium and La Quinta Mountain and one of our group did suffer from heat stroke on hole 27. Be careful out there!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:30 AM »
Ahhh, makes perfect sense Alex.

And yes PGA West ain't the only course he sticks it to you...

Pete the Sadist!!  :o

David Wuthrich

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 12:23:27 PM »
I would find a way to play Doak's Stone Eagle

Jason Kang

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 12:33:59 PM »

You're always better off with beer and friends.

In the essence of full disclosure, I can be a bit of a pessimist at times. 

With that said, I'm going to Palm Springs over Memorial Weekend for a wedding.  The group I'm with is enamored by fountains, flowers, and short drives (to the course, probably off the tee as well).  They have lined up golf at Escena and Cimmaron.  It looks like I'll be ducking planes all day long.  Are there endearing qualities to these two gems? I've read through many threads about Palm Springs golf and see them both mentioned with regards to location and value, but not necessarily memorability. 

My plan is to be the team player and enjoy myself with the group.  Since I'm tinkering with my swing, probably best to stick to these courses anyway.  But, I fear that I'll leave disappointed if I don't venture out to one of the more heralded courses.   I am planning on sneaking off to La Quinta - Mountain one of the days.  Given the drive time and prices I don't think I'll have any takers from my group. Any interest out there?

The other side of that...is La Quinta just a better known name?  Am I better off with a long sleeve shirt, cold beer, and good company?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 07:45:42 PM »
Cimmeron is crowded because of the many coupon deals and
is hack friendly with wide fairways. It is rolling and plays on both
sides of a man made wash that is playable if there is no rain.
Desert Willow Firecliff course is beautiful and fun. There are local coupon deals available in the golf mags and online or golfnow. Stone Eagle is the best if you can get on.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 11:15:10 PM »
Palm Springs is not Seattle.  If someone is travelling up here and asks about where to get a round or two in, the answer is always Chambers Bay first, and might as well play it again if you have time for an extra round.  Other courses might get a nod, but there seems to be a right answer on where to play in the Seattle area (I realize this could spark a whole new debate, not my intent).

It sounds like there isn't a definitive #1 must play in Palm Springs, but rather that there are several worthy of the distinction.  It also sounds like sitting poolside is a more attractive option than Cimmaron.  I appreciate all the feedback.  I think I'm going to stick with Escena, which looks pretty appealing given the feedback here.

I've got my list made for when the timing is right for a Palm Springs Golf Vacation.  Thanks again.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »

I would also second trying to get out to La Quinta Mountain.  Some consider it getting "long in the tooth," but I still think that any hole that touches the mountain range (3-6, 13-17) is worth the price of admission.

I'll respectfully disagree. Those holes on the front are nothing special. 13-17 are ok but by then you're bored.

I'm heading down this weekend to hopefully play at least once.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »
Just curious, when I played the stadium course on a trip through last summer, the greens ran about 7 on a late afternoon (early evening).  Is this the norm in the hot summers?

They would have likely been the slowest I'd played in years had it not been for the 9 I played joining up with two amigos at Mexicali Country Club the night before, which was a real throw back to the 70's with the twist in sprinklers.  actually one of the more pleasant golf experiences in a few years.

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 08:57:34 PM »
I've heard all greens break towards Indio.  Is there deception to the greens?  Does this only apply to reads without any break?

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
Just got back and ended up playing three rounds.  Not sure the correct words to summarize each round, but I'll try:

Escena - Lots of visual deception.  I feel like I could shoot a much better score the second time around, without playing any better.
Shadow Ridge - A question I've always thought about GCA is the separation of the architecture/design of an individual hole vs. the ambience/surrounds of a hole?  I loved the course, but so often it felt, almost, claustrophobic with the condos all around, even though it was only on 6 or 7 holes.  Does that feeling reduce the "greatness" of the course? 
La Quinta Mountain - First Pete Dye course I've played.  Tiny, perched, most well defended greens I've ever played.  If anyone ever talks about a dog leg par 5, I'll envision LQ.  Those holes just kept turning!  Your short game better be good, because you're going to need it.

Shadow Ridge and LQ felt like completely opposite courses, but both fall on my top # list.  (Maybe I don't get out enough?)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:48:02 AM by Dan Gallaway »

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 08:48:55 AM »
Just got back and ended up playing three rounds.  Not sure the correct words to summarize each round, but I'll try:

Escena - Lots of visual deception.  I feel like I could shoot a much better score the second time around, without playing any better.  The course was double booked, so I may not have the clearest perception due to the slow play.
Shadow Ridge - A question I've always thought about GCA is the separation of the architecture/design of an individual hole vs. the ambience/surrounds of a hole?  I loved the course, but so often it felt, almost, claustrophobic with the condos all around, even though it was only on 6 or 7 holes.  Does that feeling reduce the "greatness" of the course? 
La Quinta Mountain - First Pete Dye course I've played.  Tiny, perched, most well defended greens I've ever played.  If anyone ever talks about a dog leg par 5, I'll envision LQ.  Those holes just kept turning!  Your short game better be good, because you're going to need it.

Shadow Ridge and LQ felt like completely opposite courses, but both fall on my top # list.  (Maybe I don't get out enough?)

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 10:06:15 AM »
Dan,

Glad you followed up.  Those are three good public options with enough variety for a Palm Springs trip.  You probably got pretty good value this time of year, too.

I'll respectfully disagree. Those holes on the front are nothing special. 13-17 are ok but by then you're bored.

I'm heading down this weekend to hopefully play at least once.

Joel,

I'd be interested in your follow up as well.  Any chance your opinion changed on LQ Mountain one way or the other?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:51:32 AM by Jordan Standefer »

Scott Weersing

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »
You asked, "A question I've always thought about GCA is the separation of the architecture/design of an individual hole vs. the ambience/surrounds of a hole? "

Yes, the area around a hole can impact how much you like a hole. or the course Imagine the same hole with three different borders: 1. tall pine trees, 2, houses/condos, 3. grasses (links).

There are good courses with any of these bordering the course, but great courses are 1 and 3. I prefer wide open courses with wind and no trees or houses. And there are good courses with houses that are far enough away from the fairways and greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back