News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Palm Springs - Memorial Weekend
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 11:26:46 AM »
Shadow Ridge - A question I've always thought about GCA is the separation of the architecture/design of an individual hole vs. the ambience/surrounds of a hole?  I loved the course, but so often it felt, almost, claustrophobic with the condos all around, even though it was only on 6 or 7 holes.  Does that feeling reduce the "greatness" of the course? 
Dan - the answer is of course - Yes. 

When new courses would spring up in Arizona I would always try and play them before the housing diminished the experience.

Shadow Ridge is an interesting one.  It is a very creative golf course.  The finish along the condos does feel a bit cramped and I assume the eventual plan is to have the entire course covered with similar condos.   

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »
A fun debate in Washington is the Chambers Bay vs. Gamble Sands vs. Wine Valley debate.  All three are special (especially for the NW). When I talk to people that haven't played them I generally describe them as Chambers being the best championship test and its pretty cool being on the water.  Gamble is probably the most fun and being on the water is the beautiful.  When you look at it from a hole to hole perspective though, just the golf, Wine Valley is probably the best IMO.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2016, 12:58:32 PM »
Interesting stuff.

I'm heading out there with a buddy this weekend, unfortunately given that the temps are jumping 20 degrees between last weekend and this one.

We're playing Shadow Ridge, PGA West Stadium, La Quinta Mountain and maybe somewhere else (Indian Wells, maybe?). Curious to check it all out.

But, without obviously having played any of those courses yet, I can comment on how surrounds affects  course. Shadow Ridge looks a lot like a course out here in Phoenix that I like a lot, also by "Faldo" called Desert Ridge. It's a great course, but I definitely have found that my enjoyment of it has faded over the years and a lot of that is because while it used to be pretty much alone in the desert, now virtually all of the front nine is surrounded by condos. They aren't close or in play or anything, but it's sure not as nice to look at as the long views of mountains in the distance.

Of course, the other problem with that course is that it is always completely overwatered. It's part a JW Marriott and it seems like they want green at all costs. So a course that should play firm and have bounce just becomes target golf most of the year, which is a shame. Hope Shadow Ridge is different in that respect, but not holding my breath.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 04:52:09 PM »
I would also second trying to get out to La Quinta Mountain.  Some consider it getting "long in the tooth," but I still think that any hole that touches the mountain range (3-6, 13-17) is worth the price of admission.

I'll respectfully disagree. Those holes on the front are nothing special. 13-17 are ok but by then you're bored.

I'm heading down this weekend to hopefully play at least once.

Joel,

I'd be interested in your follow up as well.  Any chance your opinion changed on LQ Mountain one way or the other?

I went down and played The Quarry at La Quinta. 

I'm not sure how to even describe it.  From what I understand this might be Fazios greatest engineering feat.  It constantly ranks #1 on Golf Digests top 100 list as the best conditioned course in the US.  I talked about the attention to detail on another thread.

If you're asking about The Mountain course I did not go back.  It to me is so tired I couldn't stomach it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back