News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Sweeney

Re: Walnut Lane GC, Alex Findlay, Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »
Steve,

As one of the few that has actually PLAYED Walnut Lane, I say let's keep running out of money and "LET" more trees fall down.

Sorry, not buying the neighbors report. This is GCA.com and we hate trees :) Some of the best courses that I have played are those with "no money". Should we bring in Fazio to restore a Findley course!!

Less money please and let's have an outing to see who shows up!!

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:56:49 PM »
Mike,

The City doesn't have money, the new operator- Friends of Walnut Lane- does not have any either. The course has tried to get other Supers to help out:

http://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/life-style/guides/golf/friends-of-walnut-lane-golf-course/article_e1c08fa0-092c-5fad-9fd5-474baaa063ad.html

Walnut Lane was my home course during my law school years at Temple.  Played there many times. D'Allesandro's became our club house.  ;D

I always had a hammer in my bag so that I could tee it up on the rock hard tee grounds. I'd gladly play there again when I return to the city from the desert here in AZ. I even made a nostalgia trip to Juniata a few years ago.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Chris Mavros

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:00:41 PM »
I play Walnut Lane 1 - 2 times a season and the course could definitely use some TLC, but is playable.  It could certainly use several chainsaws, however.   

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:19:01 PM »
The former super at Gulph Mills is now at Walnut Lane.

Fun place.  Needs more TLC.

Pics from last year:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/WalnutLane/
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 08:32:08 PM »
Walnut Lane is a fine golf course. Yes, it's condititioning and presentation leaves a lot to be desired, but it's a fun course, and a good deal for residents regardless.

It's very overgrown and could definitely use a trim in regards to trees and overgrowth. I haven't played it since last summer, however, the greens were in pretty good shape. When I played the course, it was firm and fast...and very fun. Perhaps people expect a golf course to be bright Augusta green, but I found found the brown tinge to be beautiful.

Room for improvement? Absolutely, but let's not sellout a course that provides a community a great recreational sport at a great price. Plus, the course is a successful First Tee facility.

Additionally, Dalessandro's Steaks is two tenths of a mile from Walnut Lane and only a 5-minute walk...a great start or finish to your WL round!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »
No pics from our cheesesteak fest!!!   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 11:08:55 AM »
Played it last year and it would be a shame to see it plowed under. Plus the food in the area is great.

I would love to see a bunch of supers go out for a day and clean it up, my guess is they would get a lot of assistance from local golfers.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back