News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin in Confidential Guide Vol. 3
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 10:38:45 AM »
Buck:

Do you live in Chicago?

There were times of day it would take me close to 2 and 1/2 hours to get from Olympia Fields to the near north side.

The worst part about living in the city and trying to play golf on the weekends wasn't getting out there, it was getting back in. 

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Buck Wolter

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2016, 11:06:35 AM »
Buck:

Do you live in Chicago?

There were times of day it would take me close to 2 and 1/2 hours to get from Olympia Fields to the near north side.

The worst part about living in the city and trying to play golf on the weekends wasn't getting out there, it was getting back in. 

Sven

Sven
Don't live there -- visit the area often for work and I'm married to a native so have spent quite a bit of time in Chicagoland. Just saw your post and was curious what the ETA would be at the moment rather than the middle of the night --having 2 routes that are close in time is a big plus I think.

Unless you live close to and can afford a club I think Chicago would be one of the worst places to live as a golfer. That said one of the options is to go somewhere out of the fray -- many guys do it already. If I lived there I would check it out -- you wouldn't, no worries.

Buck

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2016, 11:28:16 AM »
Tom Doak,

Thanks for your update.

From the time I spent with Darius last summer walking my home course (which is ~20 miles SW) I know how highly he regards White Bear. The tree removal they've done recently I think has made the course even better.

That being said, I can see how perhaps it's behind a few of the courses you listed above for the Gourmet Choice.

I am pretty curious to see what you thought/rated Cedar Rapids CC. I played there ~6 weeks ago and thought very highly of it and the recent renovation work. I liked it better than many highly regarded "Ross" courses in the Midwest.

When should we go on to your website and buy the next edition? Now? Sounds like it'll be shipping within the next month. Can't wait.
H.P.S.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 12:22:53 PM »

When should we go on to your website and buy the next edition? Now? Sounds like it'll be shipping within the next month. Can't wait.

Pat:

We probably aren't going to allow live orders for Volume 3 until we have the books in hand, and have a good start on shipping to the +/- 1,300 people who pre-ordered the full set.  Some of them complain if their friends get the book before they do!  So you will probably be able to order them sometime between October 1 and October 15.  I will come back and post here when we go live.

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2016, 02:25:07 PM »

Pat:

We probably aren't going to allow live orders for Volume 3 until we have the books in hand, and have a good start on shipping to the +/- 1,300 people who pre-ordered the full set.  Some of them complain if their friends get the book before they do!  So you will probably be able to order them sometime between October 1 and October 15.  I will come back and post here when we go live.

Ok, thank you.

Looking forward to reading it!
H.P.S.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 04:05:24 PM »
When did Davenport CC host the Western Open?

Notes:  Where did I say Ballyneal was in IA/MN/WI?  It was in my post about the last ten courses I'd seen, and that post was quoted at the top of this thread.

Also, the Gourmet's Choice does not always contain what I think is the best course by a certain architect.  In many cases, those courses are already well known and there is not much new to write about them.  Personally, I'm more likely to write something about a course that's flown under the radar, though not all of my co-authors fall into that camp.  And I've got some desire to spread things out geographically and to avoid just picking a bunch of courses where we consult ... we consult at Milwaukee C.C., and that wound up being good news for Davenport C.C.

Anyway, no point continuing this guessing game.  Here's the full lineup for the Gourmet's Choice, vol. 3:

Banff Springs - Stanley Thompson [Masa]
Cabot Links - Rod Whitman
Crystal Downs - Alister MacKenzie and Perry Maxwell

Davenport CC - C. H. Alison
Fowlers Mill - Pete Dye [Ran]
Gamble Sands - David Kidd

Garden City Golf Club - Devereux Emmet / Walter Travis
Hooper GC - Wayne Stiles
Lawsonia Links - William Langford and Theodore Moreau

Merion (East) - Hugh Wilson  [Masa]
Myopia Hunt C - Herbert Leeds  [Darius]
Oakmont - William and Henry Fownes

Roaring Gap - Donald Ross  [Ran]
Rock Creek - Tom Doak  [Ran]
Sand Hills - Bill Coore & Ben Crenshaw

Shinnecock Hills - William Flynn  [Masa]
Somerset Hills - A. W. Tillinghast  [Darius]
The Course at Yale - C. B. Macdonald and Seth Raynor

Rock Creek in the Gourmet's Choice is the best thing I have read in a while. I can't wait for Vol 3 to come out.

I'm kind of interested in seeing the thoughts on Baltimore CC as well. After reading the review again in the original CG, I believe we are much improved. In fact, I would have selected us as the Tillinghast choice. Just sayin'.
Mr Hurricane

Buck Wolter

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2016, 05:39:22 AM »
Hi Buck:

Yes, I'm into p.r. mode for Volume 3.  I got a text yesterday that the books had arrived at my office.  We will start shipping them as soon as I get back home, the end of next week.  Signing 1,200 pre-ordered books may take me a couple of days, and getting them packed up and shipped out is not a one-day process!  Others who are not signed up for the set may place orders from today, but we will not start shipping on those until we have taken care of the pre-orders, probably around October 15.

PCCraig

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 10:02:15 AM »
Hi Buck:

Yes, I'm into p.r. mode for Volume 3.  I got a text yesterday that the books had arrived at my office.  We will start shipping them as soon as I get back home, the end of next week.  Signing 1,200 pre-ordered books may take me a couple of days, and getting them packed up and shipped out is not a one-day process!  Others who are not signed up for the set may place orders from today, but we will not start shipping on those until we have taken care of the pre-orders, probably around October 15.

Tom Doak,

That was a neat article on golf in Iowa. Obviously all of Iowa is largely a day trip drive away from the Twin Cities, so it's fun to see some more "under-the-radar" options there.

As I mentioned above, I played Cedar Rapids earlier in the summer when in the area for work and thought it was really good.

I still really want to go see Davenport CC, but that will likely have to wait until next year.

I also just ordered Vol. 3 this morning. Can't wait to see it!
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2016, 11:53:55 AM »
Trent Jones doesn't make Gourmet's Choice? All meat and potatoes there?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2016, 06:41:22 PM »

There were many tough calls about which courses made the Gourmet's Choice, but most of the tough choices were about which courses to exclude.  For example, none of the Bandon Dunes courses are in there:  I felt like Gamble Sands was David's best course and deserved more attention, Ran felt the same about Rock Creek, and though I love Bandon Trails I couldn't see including it at the expense of Sand Hills.

However, it was the opposite problem for Mr. Jones' courses -- I did not feel that one of them stood apart to the point that it was a favorite.  It's possible that will change in Volume 4; I have yet to see his best courses on the Continent, and I might find one that I really like.  But, seriously, which of Mr. Jones' courses ought to replace one of the choices for Volume 3, when we couldn't even find space for Pine Valley?

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2016, 10:15:34 AM »

However, it was the opposite problem for Mr. Jones' courses -- I did not feel that one of them stood apart to the point that it was a favorite.  It's possible that will change in Volume 4; I have yet to see his best courses on the Continent, and I might find one that I really like.  But, seriously, which of Mr. Jones' courses ought to replace one of the choices for Volume 3, when we couldn't even find space for Pine Valley?

Peachtree

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 01:29:26 AM »

Peachtree

Is this Vol 2 or Vol 3?

Montauk Downs?
Firestone North?
Robert Trent Jones?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Felton

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »
Just got an email. Excited!

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »

Peachtree

Is this Vol 2 or Vol 3?

Montauk Downs?
Firestone North?
Robert Trent Jones?

No idea, I do not have the books.  Please disregard my post if it is not germane to the discussion. 

Bill Seitz

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 11:14:40 AM »
Hi Buck:

Tom,

I've moved since the last volume shipped.  I assume there will be an email or something, or at the very least my credit card won't work.  Is there a way to change our information, or someone we should contact?  I think it was Brian Lewis before, but not sure if he's still working with you.

Greg Clark

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 11:42:14 AM »
Similar question for me Tom.  My AmEx number has changed from when I pre-ordered the set.  Where do I need to send the new info to?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 12:29:59 PM »

Peachtree

Is this Vol 2 or Vol 3?

Montauk Downs?
Firestone North?
Robert Trent Jones?

have you played any of those courses?

Michael Felton

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »
Greg and Bill - The email I got was the same as the one for the prior two volumes.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2016, 02:24:21 PM »
Thanks, Michael.  I don't believe I got that email.

Greg Clark

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2016, 03:35:23 PM »
Greg and Bill - The email I got was the same as the one for the prior two volumes.

Got the email.  Looks like I'm set.  Looking forward to reading this edition.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »
I signed 500 books this morning, more coming this afternoon.

We will have the golf team here Sunday to package up as many books as they can, and start shipping on Monday.

PCCraig

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2016, 01:30:06 PM »
I signed 500 books this morning, more coming this afternoon.

We will have the golf team here Sunday to package up as many books as they can, and start shipping on Monday.

Can't wait!!!
H.P.S.

Peter Pratt

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2016, 01:31:55 PM »
We junkies will soon get our fix. I hope I don't OD.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2016, 01:39:24 PM »
Who does the email come from?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back