News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Brandel Chamblee New
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »
Every spring the golf eyes turn to the southeast of the United States.

I refer, of course, to last weekend's Yeamans Hall member-guest and in particular the pre-event Skills Challenge.  ;)

90 yard pitch, closest to hole wins, three shots per player. Drum roll .... 1'11" by moi in two shots. I didn't hit a third, retiring as Bob Jones did - at his peak. 8)

And I dedicate this momentous victory to Brandel Chamblee's new book on the swing, Anatomy of Greatness, which I had digested pre-trip. Plus, for the first time in ~ 2 years, my 8 handicap drives stayed within ~15 yards of my 1 handicap younger brother's, a truly major accomplishment!

No wonder this little book has garnered much praise from many sources for the hope that it offers. You have read the same raves I have: GOLF Magazine called it 'the Holy Grail of the swing' and the Forbes article was entitled "The Most Important Golf Book of Our Generation?" Former USGA Executive Director David Fay, who is normally tight-lipped with praise, loves it, as does Mickey Wright, whom Hogan said had the best swing he ever saw. It breaks the submission of curmudgeon Joe Andriole's take on golf (and life): you get older, you play worse and then you die. :P

In 144 pages, Brandel concisely identifies the commonality of the greatest swings of all time. Given that it is well organized with an impressive collection of photographs that complement the text, how is showing how the best got it done not a sure-fire stratagem?!

Learning from the best has appeal!

Mind you, some current instructors and their swing tip du jour don't fare well by comparison. Brandel's straight-shooting has always earned him some rebukes. Certain grumps have huffed 'how does a guy with no majors come off criticizing the swing of a guy with fourteen?' Well! We architecture junkies have faced the same question when people who have won majors never had their design work criticized. 'We' didn't fare too well, did we?!

The back half of the Feature Interview moves (of course!) into architecture. I have always found that Brandel's crisp broadcast commentaries offer prescient points heading into a day's events. Listen to him talk about places that he loves - Chicago GC, Friar's Head, Riviera, and Pinehurst No. 2. Regarding Old Macdonald, his sentiment 'If we had more courses where the average golfer can play eighteen holes in three hours and never lose a ball - I think we would have more golfers playing today' is obviously one that is embraced by the viewership of this web site.

Thank goodness we have someone like him in the booth. And now in your library! Prowl around www.classicsofgolf.com for the Brandel book, and a host of other great reading material from Darwin to Wind.

Best,
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:31:11 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Cob Carlson

Re: Feature Interview with Brandel Chamblee
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 10:09:05 PM »
great stuff, Ran. Yes guys...lift the left heel!

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 11:19:46 PM »
I definitely need 15 more yards so I think I should read his book. Is it in paperback yet? 

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 06:21:00 AM »
Phil is wearing Sansabelt pants and Brandel is telling us to lift our left heel - what's next - kilties on our shoes.  Oh well, time doesn't stand still and neither does golf style or instruction.  I have always admired Brandel Chamblee as he clearly explains his position and you usually agree with him because his reasoning is sound.  At my age adding 15 yards would be amazing so what the heck. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 08:46:44 AM »
I'm curious as to how BC struggles with question #10.

10) The Golf Channel is 24/7 specific to one sport. Yet, there isn’t a show devoted to architecture and the game’s playing fields. Does the subject matter not resonate with the general viewership?
Golf Channel does have Matt Ginella focused on golf courses and architecture and that is a good thing. He does profiles on architects and their courses that are interesting and well received. I don’t think the general viewership, though interested in architecture, is large enough to have it 24 hours a day. They don’t have instruction 24 hours a day and we all know how golfers are obsessed with having their own games being better.

There is no suggestion that there be a24/7 architecture channel, yet BC extrapolates from somewhere. Anyone have thoughts on this odd divergence?

Then there is the answer to #11, specifically the last course: TPC Sawgrass. There are 17 other holes to mention regarding "best" or greatness, and I find his mention of the 17th hole as aberrant. I know that when I played The Old Course, I wasn't thinking about #17 long before I got there. I was thinking about each hole, each shot. I don't know if this is the same for everyone else, but if people are thinking about bypassing the current hole at TPCS to think about #17, then some things are wrong with the golf course.

And Don M., here is my go-to source for inexpensive golf books: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=brandel+chamblee&sts=t

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:55:04 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

astavrides

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 08:44:03 AM »

There is no suggestion that there be a24/7 architecture channel, yet BC extrapolates from somewhere. Anyone have thoughts on this odd divergence?

When I read the question, at first I read it the way Brandel answered it. He had to know though, that that wasn't the question.

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 11:44:58 AM »
Thanks, for the interview Ran, as well as the heads-up on the book.

For years I played with a home-grown swing based largely on feel and over time found that it would break down more often than not.   In the past few years I've become much more of a tinkerer and student of the proper golf swing with generally positive results (and a great tip from redanman one day at Lehigh).   Watching guys like Langer and Gary Player I'm becoming convinced that contrary to Joe Andriole's statement, we don't necessarily have to get worse and worse as we age.

I'll look forward to seeing what benefit I can get from Chamblee's observations.   Thanks, again.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 09:11:29 PM »
I'd listen to his hair product advice.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 05:12:34 PM »

Terry,

Apparently this is for real!!   ;D

https://twitter.com/brandelshair

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 03:49:04 PM »

Terry,

Apparently this is for real!!   ;D

https://twitter.com/brandelshair

No surprise. Not much discernible depth there.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 07:54:45 PM »
Ran, thank you for this interview. This book was not in my periphery. I read this book in a night and decided to try some of the ideas promoted in this book at the range and course the next day. The results were near immediate, and very positive.

I thought I was playing pretty well, but then I had a lesson where the instructor was trying to put me in positions I knew weren't correct. I'm not a PGA professional, but I've read enough books and watched enough video to know that the positions weren't right for me. One of these was the prototypical straight backs, highlighted by Charl Schwartzel and Adam Scott in Chamblee's book. Jack Nicklaus played okay with a curved back.

I could go on and on comparing the examples in Chamblee's book against modern instruction. I'll digress and just say this is a great instruction book, and one that I will be purchasing after my library loan is over.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back