News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Boring Masters!
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2016, 06:02:03 PM »
Anyone still think this is boring?

Stunned by Spieth's collapse.   #12 strikes again. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2016, 06:03:03 PM »
"Will it" be Danny's Masters to win?  :o
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2016, 06:05:40 PM »
Rumors of the boringness of this Masters have been greatly exaggerated...

Thanks, Twain!  Post of the year!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

jeffwarne

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2016, 06:10:49 PM »
Rumors of the boringness of this Masters have been greatly exaggerated...

Not watching (flight)but is there any truth to the rumor Grillo went to relieve himself and Jordan was left to conference with fans for caddvice on #12?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Rose

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2016, 06:14:54 PM »
Well..... snoozefest to bizzarro world with two swings of Spieth's club.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Major gagging.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BCowan

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2016, 06:26:42 PM »
Looks like a Bass Ale is in order

Dean Stokes

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »
Great, great, GREAT line from Faldo after Willett hit his drive on 18:

"It's a different game hitting a golf ball with your heart in your mouth, I can promise you..."

Maybe the best of his career...
perfect.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2016, 06:50:26 PM »
I'm afraid Nantz is going to run out of serendipitous co-incidences, anecdotes, paeans and superlatives...  then what will we do?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2016, 07:55:14 PM »
Well what a crazy day. The back nine today was quite amazing in its outcome.
I bashed yesterday and the front nine today had me going to sleep at Spieth -7.
I don have the ego to say I didn't enjoy the last nine today. Cheers.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2016, 08:07:51 PM »
Well what a crazy day. The back nine today was quite amazing in its outcome.
I bashed yesterday and the front nine today had me going to sleep at Spieth -7.
I don have the ego to say I didn't enjoy the last nine today. Cheers.

"The tournament doesn't begin till the back nine on Sunday..."
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Essig

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2016, 08:36:50 PM »

+1

That quote was bouncing around my head the entire time the drama played out.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Kalen Braley

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2016, 08:47:48 PM »

I fully agree, and up till then, it was a total snooze fest..

Dean Stokes

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2016, 09:25:31 PM »

agreed. And if "WE" didn't make a quadruple it would still have been BORING! Maybe we can blame the "we/team" for the error on 12. We we we we we we we .

Sean_A

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2016, 05:23:36 AM »

Maybe, just maybe...golf is generally a boring game to watch.  Maybe, just maybe, you lot are expecting too much entertainment based on what are in truth very few excellent viewing tournaments in history.  If you think about how much time the viewer must invest to watch golf...it actually delivers very little bang for the minute.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2016, 06:03:32 AM »
I only watch the first 3 majors and I rate them by “sip speed”.

When it’s exciting the bottle(s) just evaporate way to fast.

Last night the unexpected flip happened so quickly and decisively that I went to bed early and there’s wine to be finished with dinner this evening.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:05:51 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2016, 06:28:06 AM »
This discussion reminds me of the great English rugby player Dean Richards. If you really knew your rugby you could appreciate how brilliant the guy was even though the way he controlled the game often lead to low scoring (although not always).

Likewise at the Masters, watching players (sometimes) scrambling in the most trying circumstances to save par or even get a bogey just showed how talented these guys really are. Nothing was a given. Willetts up and down at 17 was brilliant and how many times over the week has Spieth done something similar. I only saw the later stages of Saturday (through beer goggles) and most of Sunday but from what I saw I thought it quite compelling.

Joe S
I totally agree regarding the TV coverage. Watching Sundays round I couldn’t help wondering whether Rory was the new Tiger, in that we are condemned to watching every shot he ever hits irrespective of whether he’s leading the tournament or missing the cut.

In the old days, TV producers were happy to go with the flow and show whoever was leading, or in the hunt or was making a move. Now it seems they have pre-determined players that they are going to show irrespective of how they play and that’s all they want to show.

Niall 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2016, 07:51:24 AM »
I watched every shot Sunday and I was at war with my brain and body which demanded SLEEP.

Both woke me up on 12, I understood the first one, but the 2nd one was oh my goodness!!!!!!

But I think it was a SAD tournament, and one of the worst Masters in my memory.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jeffwarne

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2016, 08:04:57 AM »

Maybe, just maybe...golf is generally a boring game to watch.  Maybe, just maybe, you lot are expecting too much entertainment based on what are in truth very few excellent viewing tournaments in history.  If you think about how much time the viewer must invest to watch golf...it actually delivers very little bang for the minute.

Ciao

No different than a great book.
The "roar" crowd need to watch a Bruce Willis movie instead.

Another reason that "growing the game" is not the most practical or even desireable reasoning

Mark Pearce

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2016, 08:11:16 AM »
Really?  Why?  How can it be anywhere near as bad as Zach Johnson winning laying up?  One of the best players in the world over the past 18 months won, all three of the top 3 in the rankings were in contention at some point.  Spieth displayed a masterful short game to stay ahead despite a long game that was never functioning.  Lots to love.  The scoring was a function of the weather, not the set up.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

BCowan

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2016, 08:14:02 AM »
So laying up is boring?  Should Zack have hit in the water?  David Tom's in Atlanta should of hit it in the water?  How is a hole strategic if EVERYONE goes for it?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:19:43 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

jeffwarne

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2016, 08:19:16 AM »
Really?  Why?  How can it be anywhere near as bad as Zach Johnson winning laying up?  One of the best players in the world over the past 18 months won, all three of the top 3 in the rankings were in contention at some point.  Spieth displayed a masterful short game to stay ahead despite a long game that was never functioning.  Lots to love.  The scoring was a function of the weather, not the set up.

nearly spot on,(you forgot an amateur being in the mix in prime time and Watson and Langer stories)
but I would argue(Johnson case) that a great course identifies multiple ways to succeed, and perfectly illustrates there many,many things for a trained eye to admire every year.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2016, 08:33:57 AM »
Has the creek in front of the 12th been getting wider over the years (or is this just a perception what with more TV etc angles these days)?
Atb

Jim Franklin

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2016, 09:39:29 AM »
Is Spieth now the leader in the clubhouse as the slowest golfer on earth?
Mr Hurricane

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
Is Spieth now the leader in the clubhouse as the slowest golfer on earth?

Hopefully he will drop the "team" concept. I was fortunate to be listening on the radio so didn't have to witness the bag carrying bearded Svengali freeze Spieth's brain. I get that Spieth is still a child but he needs to lose the helicopter caddie.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back