News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Re: Boring Masters!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 07:42:36 AM »
Pps. I hope Langer wins with his "dodgy" putter😄
He's about the only interesting story on the leaderboard and the course actually favors him this week as it brings the others back to him with them all laying up or hitting long clubs like him. Gives him a chance when the score is around level with it being a chipping and putting contest.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Joe Schackman

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 07:57:37 AM »
I think the reason that round felt so boring was the sub-par TV coverage. In my opinion CBS is just doing a terrible job with this tournament (and it is a trend for all of their PGA tour coverage).

All they showed was Rory and Jordan. And I don't mean their shots. They showed EVERYTHING that they did. Walking, looking at the ball, reading breaks. I'm all for showing the 'process' but pick up caddie-player conversations or something with some insight not just wasted air-time.

Think back for a minute. How many full swings from Langer did we actually see? Not many. I don't believe we saw Dustin hit either of his two shots on 13. He just popped up for eagle on the green. Dustin also went for 15 from 230 out but it was on his third shot. How did that happen? I have no clue. Did you see many drives from Jason Day? How many shots do you remember from 13 and 15 that wasn't Jordan? Heck they basically followed Jordan for 45 seconds after he laid up on 13. Seriously? There was NO other golf shots to be shown?

The production, from the start, wanted to jam the Rory vs Spieth battle storyline. But it just wasn't that compelling. There was so much good stuff going on, Langer, Kaufman, Dustin, Hideki and we just didn't see it. That is why it felt boring in my mind. So much time spent on just two players.

Sorry for the rant from the newbie. That was driving me NUTS yesterday. Doing this tournament and golf a disservice in my mind.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 08:06:56 AM »
Great points Joe and I also had that in my ear all day on whatsapp from my English friends. They moaned about the lousy coverage all day and the lack of showing all players. BORING😄😄😄
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 08:12:59 AM »
Joe -

Your comments are right on - it was the TV coverage that was poor.  They mentally committed to their "Battle of the Titans" story in the final group and stuck to it, even though it was obvious it should have been ditched. 

JJShanley

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 08:47:34 AM »
Why do American announcers say "this from a few moments ago"?  Why not just broadcast each shot as live?  I understand you can't show every shot as it happens, but that qualifier annoys me.

Signed,

The Ken Brown Appreciation Society

V. Kmetz

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2016, 10:08:08 AM »
I disagree with the premise of the thread...especially garbage golf and garbage set-up color of it. This is on you and your gang DS; I know many, including myself, who were rivetted and lively in our circle(s). It could be that you have embraced what I think is an advertising term, "moving day" and if few break par, or the field just congeals around par...you want to return the product with a critical note.

But to enter an amicus or opposition brief to it is nearly fruitless because you don't ever say WHY its boring. You say it's boring and you ask us why, with some suggestion...what have you concluded, what do you think? Garbage golf...how? Garbage set-up...how? What about the course, its set-up or the conduct of the field causes the boredom, as you find it? Which was a round, set-up, a broadcast of the Masters in the past you really found entertaining? I'll go back in my files and watch it sometime soon and let you know what I think...I may even agree with you.

Our gang went for lunch and returned home with snacks and drinks to watch 'moving day' at Augusta....maybe one of the best golf viewing days of the year.
Two of us are asleep and the rest of us are talking and on our phones.
Is this due to garbage golf or garbage course set up and redesign?
This topic has been mentioned before but I had to bring it back up as this is COMPLETELY BORING!

As to the broadcast comments...it deserves its own OT thread (and it HAS received them in the past)...but in the main, I just think CBS has (quite naturally) lost versatility because of the unique nature of this broadcast arrangement. Everything is locked in, from the camera positions, to the lack of aerial shots, to the word cloud inculcated by the client, to the advertisers, to the post-round interviews in Butler cabin, to the hole overheads, and green-roll diagrams...innovation is rare. Unto itself, and against any other broadcast, it is bound to feel controlled.

Yet I have almost entirely enjoyed that control for 37 years of watching the tournament. I liked the Masters and this CBS portrayal almost before I liked, and certainly before I played a round of golf...that reverent stately broadcast and the whole refined ethos of the place, of Jones, and the tournament influenced me to buy golf magazines, and consider my own game, and think about architecture and the history of the sport. And as I became more mature in my engagement with golf, the Masters and the ANGC course became a safe haven of sorts; indeed there golf and the elite leadership of the competitive game is what is the focus, not the creeping cynicism of one's equipment, or affairs, or social controversies outside the gates, or any such thing. In blend with my experiences of visiting the tournament, I'm glad they have "locked" out that stuff...

And on the micro-level, the Masters broadcast ramped up my appreciation for golf broadcasting as a whole through differing figures like Ken Venturi and Pat Summerall, Ben Wright and Tom Weiskopf and Bobby Clampett and in later years, Peter Oosterhuis, IB-F, and yes, even David Feherty. The reserved manner in which they issued the Masters wrought from me an appreciation and comparison about how their broadcasts were performed the other 20-25 events of the year.

That is all to say the Masters has rarely, if ever, disappointed me and the only tournaments that failed my excited interest were those where the winner was/or proved to be clear by about the 15th on Saturday.

cheers
vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »
I'd have to agree...I turned it off and took a nap!!

Other than Bernhard...nothing else to watch.  Tiger grinding was one thing, you knew he was going to do something amazing....Spieth not so much.

This is almost the most ridiculous thing you've written in three days. But when you're used to playing great golf yourself, I guess it gets boring watching the pros.

I do look forward to seeing the improvements you'll make to the course and tournament as Chairman.

Brian,

Given the consensus view on this thread, I'll stick with my comments and I was entirely serious about the first part, it literally put me to sleep!  ;D

P.S.  Count me as one who will be tuned in today though, I'd love to see the old vet take it to the young kids for a true "win for the ages"...

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 10:53:59 AM »
Jeff I'm not sure the scores need to all be low but this isn't the US Open and there are typically birdies/eagles and "roars" to excite and make you wonder what happened across Amen Corner.
My FB page is full of the same moans and groans this morning from friends golf buds around the world with the same feelings....the love affair with Spieth has abruptly ended....the course set up made it BORING to watch.
Now of course I see the brilliance of the golfers to get around in par on such a tough day. I love the golf course. It's still boring. Even some of the players look bored!!!!!
Ps. I read where many of us(you) complained about the pace of play during the drive chip and putt.....well take a look at the number one roll model for the kids!

Dean,
Patrons paying $1500 per DAY disagree that it is boring.
The setup?
WIND
The wind is keeping scores high and reducing roars for your golf naive facebook fans.Plenty of appreciative cheers and support going on out there.
Not every Masters has to fit the scripts of the impatient, ADD average fan.
Thats what Sunday is for ;D

The coverage has been poor'choosing to watch Jordan's ticks vs. s field actually playing full shots. Hasnt helped.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2016, 11:10:34 AM »
Jeff I'm not sure the scores need to all be low but this isn't the US Open and there are typically birdies/eagles and "roars" to excite and make you wonder what happened across Amen Corner.
My FB page is full of the same moans and groans this morning from friends golf buds around the world with the same feelings....the love affair with Spieth has abruptly ended....the course set up made it BORING to watch.
Now of course I see the brilliance of the golfers to get around in par on such a tough day. I love the golf course. It's still boring. Even some of the players look bored!!!!!
Ps. I read where many of us(you) complained about the pace of play during the drive chip and putt.....well take a look at the number one roll model for the kids!

Dean,
Patrons paying $1500 per DAY disagree that it is boring.
The setup?
WIND
The wind is keeping scores high and reducing roars for your golf naive facebook fans.Plenty of appreciative cheers and support going on out there.
Not every Masters has to fit the scripts of the impatient, ADD average fan.
Thats what Sunday is for ;D

The coverage has been poor'choosing to watch Jordan's ticks vs. s field actually playing full shots. Hasnt helped.

Jeff,

They pay that money before hand,( the vast majority anyways) for all 4 rounds, up front for a reason.....not on the way out on Sunday after its all over.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:36:26 AM by Kalen Braley »

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2016, 11:30:04 AM »
Put me down as frustrated rather than bored - I managed to stay to the end.

My brother watching with me gave up  -  his comment  "this isn't joyous -  I want golf to be fun -  goodnight"

Reflecting on his comments I came to my own conclusion.
The main disappointment for me was watching tapped putts trickling past the hole and in some cases leaving the green.

I don't mind an obviously stroked putt which is overcooked going past, but I find tap and trickle sets me on edge - not in a good way.

I commented on this last year but no one at ANGC is listening!!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
Put me down as frustrated rather than bored - I managed to stay to the end.

My brother watching with me gave up  -  his comment  "this isn't joyous -  I want golf to be fun -  goodnight"

Reflecting on his comments I came to my own conclusion.
The main disappointment for me was watching tapped putts trickling past the hole and in some cases leaving the green.

I don't mind an obviously stroked putt which is overcooked going past, but I find tap and trickle sets me on edge - not in a good way.

I commented on this last year but no one at ANGC is listening!!!!

John
with you on stupid green speeds.
At Augusta or anywhere else.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »
VK,

The knife cuts both ways, what do you find entertaining?

But to enter an amicus or opposition brief  to it is nearly fruitless because you don't ever say WHY its boring. You say it's boring and you ask us why, with some suggestion...what have you concluded, what do you think? Garbage golf...how? Garbage set-up...how? What about the course, its set-up or the conduct of the field causes the boredom, as you find it?

John Kirk

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2016, 11:42:58 AM »
Since this is the most relevant active thread, I don't understand why they would want to increase the length of the 13th hole.

Only a couple of players can fly it over the canopy and leave themselves with 160-180 yards to the green.  Everybody else has to hit two excellent shots to have an eagle putt.

Phil McDade

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2016, 12:09:45 PM »
Since this is the most relevant active thread, I don't understand why they would want to increase the length of the 13th hole.

Only a couple of players can fly it over the canopy and leave themselves with 160-180 yards to the green.  Everybody else has to hit two excellent shots to have an eagle putt.

I haven't played all of them ;D  but it's maybe the best par 5 in America. Touching that hole is like adjusting the Mona Lisa's smile.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2016, 12:14:02 PM »
CBS' coverage is declining after being the gold standard for many years. Ironically I think the formula they have established covering this event for as long as they have is becoming a negative as it seems to be turning into a parody / exaggeration of itself.

The stoic reverence has become saccharine. Commentators sound like they have an axe hovering above them the whole time. "Must say patrons...must say patrons...."

And yeah, the last two hours of yesterday's coverage felt like there were less than five people playing.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2016, 12:49:12 PM »
I just played golf down here and the security guard at the gate hit he nail on the head at 8am. He asked me who I was for this afternoon and my reply was a mumble of who really cares as long as it's entertaining. He said "I couldn't agree more. I was basically rooting for a double or triple bogey to bring some entertainment as they can't make birdies!".
In our house we found ourselves saying the same thing!
Why was it boring V Kmetz? Did you watch it? It was unentertaining, slow, dull, lifeless. It didn't hold our interest or our attention. What makes something 'boring'? I guess I'll look in the dictionary and add that to my answer because it was. The guys I golfed with this morning who are extremely knowledgable and play Augusta several times a year agreed. To Jeff W....my Facebook 'fans' are mainly good friends and mainly fairly if not very good golfers who also found the coverage/play of Saturday's Masters BORING😄. I have been to the tournament several times and never found it boring but yesterday was! That's all I was saying and wondering if the golf fanatics on this website had any answers to why. That's all. I'll be watching my second favorite tournament of the year again today. Cheers.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »
VK,

The knife cuts both ways, what do you find entertaining?

Well I laid it out like that because DS started with the premise but if you (or anyone is interested)...

1. The #2 and #3 players (1 and 2 of the last five years really) in the world, struggling with course I know better than any I've not played, or played once...

2. Knowing the direction of the wind and predicting (and matching my predictions to what happened) on the wind strength and severity of what the issue will be and where the misses will go...

3. Having every chip and shot (especially in the wind) have such a razor edge from plan, to execution and outcome...no where but Augusta are chips, pitches and greenside play more fretful (and to me, compelling)...we barely give this aspect of the game any steady attention at other great courses...as to what the course and conditions elicit from the players. If you (and all here) are as ardent a golf fan as I believe you are, you probably grasp the greenside considerations on all 18 holes at ANGC, whereas its half or less than that at Pebble or Riviera or TPC Sawgrass or many of the rotated major venues... each ardent viewer knows just how screwed or fantastic a particular greenside is at Augusta; it elicits my appreciation for the professional skill to tackle it. I may have a hard time translating 190 yard 7-irons to my game, and my experience...not so with a 20 foot chip, where 19 feet or 21 feet is bad, and can result in a number...that pressure that even a schlub can understand.

4. The lead group's slashing about on 3 and 4, Spieth maintaining par while Rory's approach netted him +2, and their guarded "shorts" on 5...I love anticipating how they are going to tackle that approach on 5 because the outcomes are razor thin...they both elected to back off and accept the "less-hard" of misses (in front) which itself calls for a jeweler's deft touch on a putt of 40 feet that breaks 10-12 feet left...Rory had to go first, giving Spieth and immediate Power Point on how he would face it.

5. Langer's run at this, his camaraderie with Day and each impelling other (seemingly) to good things, Day's and DJ's fighting to stay relevant (knowing what it might lead to Sunday, with their length and strength), the emergence of Kaufman, Katsyuama...

6. The absolute mental strain and fortitude the field must exhibit to get through it all balanced against how much each of them want it, winners or not, and how they and I and I thin kyou know, how they have to go through the baptism of fire of playing their best to get it...and you know, you just know that this course, besides providing all that minute tick-tock, is goign to produce one or more guys, who will have blown it on a gross error that you felt or saw coming a mile away. Mickelson in 2010 is the only one I can remember who defied that notion on #13, which I still feel was a foolish, foolish gamble (for which he didn't make the "3" anyway)...a gamble not unlike his compounding errors and bad decisions on the 18th at WF in 2006.

I've got like 5-10 more, but I'm nearly tired of typing and I want to make a final statement, but it's not garbage golf or a garbage set-up that has DS and others bored, it's something else.

For me, I watch and I see that its golf provoked to the most personal, inch precision to get what I think are the best goods in the game...the perpetual invitation, the chance to be a public golfer until you want to end it, the champion's dinner...we don't speak of them much, but Weir and Immelman and Stadler and Woosie and Lyle and going back...Aaron and Coody and Archer and Brewer and Doug Ford are in that room...think how much it means to those guys, as professional golfers and aspirants and what it might've meant to the Normans, Montgomeries, Weiskopfs, Kites, Lehman, Love, Garcias, Prices, Rose... and think what it would add to already lengthy resumes...Trevino, Irwin, Els...and look what it has meant to Couples...without that title and the chance to keep playing, he is a substantially different, less well-remembered golfer in the canon... one only remembers Larry Mize's name because of his dramatic winning of the tournament in OT...otherwise he's as forgotten as Steve Jones, who was the first sectional qualifier in 20 years to have won the US Open, and was an almost miraculous recovery from 3-year injury (imagine Anthony Kim coming back now to win the tournament) and who won by one measly stroke over the best players of those years, Lehman and Love.

That's the difference, and that's what the Masters and the course do every year, they put exacting golf on display, with the reward of a more permanent place in the game for those who that same history says, have overcome to do great things...it's no different this year.

cheers
vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

John Kirk

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2016, 01:54:12 PM »
I'm watching the pre-game hype, and Nicklaus's great back nine from the final round in 1986, and I thought to myself that it is impossible to duplicate the putting exhibition that Nicklaus made.  The greens are now too fast, and the penalty too great for aggressive putting.

Man, Nicklaus made a lot of medium length putts that day.  Hot as a pistol, he was.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2016, 02:15:50 PM »
My reactions:

*  I don't find it boring at all.  Excruciating is more like it, to watch the world's greatest golfers get beat up on a course they often take apart.  Even with all the changes to ANGC over the years, it shares this key feature with its inspiration TOC, i.e. that weather and conditions dictate scoring. 

*  Looks like a lot of the leaders keep missing in the wrong spots.  I'm guessing that's why so many are putting from several yards off the green, through fairway and fringe, instead of chipping or pitching. 

*  Spieth, who I never saw much before, doesn't bother me that much with his slowness.  His game surprises me in two says, though.  He looks to have little control of his swing, and his distance control on long putts really sucks.  He didn't play like that last year, did he, when he was winning or contending in all the majors?

*  Langer's run amazes me, and as I have brought up before, reinforces how little athleticism has to do with golf.  I suspect the rough conditions have helped him, though, just like they did Zach Johnson in 2007.  They leveled the playing ground, taking away many of the benefits the long-hitters normally get there.   

Terry Lavin

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2016, 02:22:23 PM »
It's been a little like a US Open, with the grinding golf and menacing winds, but it's still very compelling. The tv presentation is annoyingly saccharine, but that's what ANGC demands. I'm looking forward to many unfolding narratives and maybe a back to back winner in Jordan Spieth.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

jeffwarne

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 02:30:34 PM »

And yeah, the last two hours of yesterday's coverage felt like there were less than five people playing.

At the speed of a full field shotgun

Thomas Dai

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 02:34:52 PM »
Given the negative comments often made about the place perhaps it should be dug up and turned into a fruit farm :)

Atb

Dean Stokes

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 04:46:22 PM »
I'm now ONLY watching because it's the Masters and we have "pool" bets on this....if this was TPC at Sawgrass I'm changing to MSNBC to see how Bernies going to right the ship😄😄😄😄😄😜

Dean Stokes

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 05:52:07 PM »
Who said The Masters was boring? Just took a quadruple and some hole in ones and a chip in. Cheers

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2016, 05:55:06 PM »
yep, just got a touch less boring!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back