News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

Re: A thought re AGNC
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 10:17:14 AM »
Bob: 

I'd take 7 out of the conversation entirely, as original intent was obliterated a long time ago.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

MClutterbuck

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 10:20:15 AM »
Josh: 

On 13, is the spot the same for a guy with the length to get there as it is for someone knowing they have to lay up?

I don't know the answer, but would think the second guy would be playing very safe on the drive.

Sven

I think you play it safer if you are short, but you know you will have a severe cross slope on the second.  Also, a lot of amateurs would not know from the tee if they can make it in 2 or not. Depending on how good you hit the drive.

BCrosby

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »
Sven -

Sure, but there are still ample grounds to complain about the hole. Actually, I blame Perry Maxwell. ;)

Bob

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »
Josh,

Well, i guess you could say the ideal spot on every shot is in the hole.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Josh Tarble

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »
Bob,

I think 7 is the least interesting hole on the course, but I do think it at least asks an interesting question of the player.  Should they hit driver to have a much easier second shot or should the hit something lesser and face a much longer and harder second shot.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 10:56:22 AM »
Josh,

Well, i guess you could say the ideal spot on every shot is in the hole.

Sven

Sven,
This is why it's so hard to discuss strategy.  Everyone has a different concept of what it is and who it should be for.  In this instance, there isn't a single player in the field that wouldn't be able to go at the green in two after hitting a drive into the perfect spot.  That doesn't mean they all tried, but its just a 510 yard par 5.

BCrosby

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
Bob,

I think 7 is the least interesting hole on the course, but I do think it at least asks an interesting question of the player.  Should they hit driver to have a much easier second shot or should the hit something lesser and face a much longer and harder second shot.

Josh -

I'm dubious about 7 asking interesting questions. You can lay back off the tee to increase your chances finding the fw (a choice you have on virtually every hole on every golf course).

In the case of 7, however, trying to hold its small, shallow green with anything but a lofted iron borders on the impossible. Which means choosing to lay back from the tee is not a real option, at least if you are trying to par the hole.

Bob 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 11:17:01 AM »
I have played Augusta twice from the members tees. I had been there 7 times prior averaging about 2 days each.

When I stepped on the first tee I was shocked, the first time I played it. I didn't recognize the hole without the spectators, it looked miles wide. Only 2 holes are narrow, #7 and #11. #18 from the tournament tees is ridiculous for me, but not so from the members tees.

I shot 79/81 in my 2 rounds. No 3 putts and I putting everything out, BUT I had 2-4 putts, one on 4 and the other on 17. On 17, the pin was on the right, just below the ridge and I had a 40 footer from the left coming over the ridge I had just a hair too much speed and had a 40 yard chip coming back. I count that as a putt.

However, if the greens were as fast as they were for this weeks tournament, I have no idea how much higher I would have scored. I think almost everything above the hole would have been a 3 putt because lagging looks so impossible. I did better than Speith on 12, with a pair of 3's.

In terms of difficulty, the toughest holes were #'s 5, 10, 11. I did dump it in the water on 15 off a downhill lie on the first day and learned how to hit that shot for my second round.

Speith made 2 mistakes on 12 in my humble opinion. On the first, after fighting the hook all day, he came out of his posture He would have been better off trusting his swing. His dumbest move was where he dropped it, he should have been programed to use the drop area with a full swing from a flat lie, but he panicked and his brain went dumb, we've all been there. He'll learn from this, but it was his swing that let him down all day, and tough to win when you are fighting your swing.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

BCowan

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
Angles matter less with modern technology and receptive greens.  One would have to have been at Pinehurst to appreciate how beautiful the FIRM greens played in June 14'
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:25:25 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Josh Tarble

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2016, 11:25:43 AM »
Bob,

Josh -

I'm dubious about 7 asking interesting questions. You can lay back off the tee to increase your chances finding the fw (a choice you have on virtually every hole on every golf course).

In the case of 7, however, trying to hold its small, shallow green with anything but a lofted iron borders on the impossible. Which means choosing to lay back from the tee is not a real option, at least if you are trying to par the hole.

Bob

I would tend to agree with you, but there were a lot of people hitting irons and hybrids off the tee though. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
I was impressed by the probability that I could give almost anyone I know 18 greens in regulation and win money by betting they couldn't break 100.

My brother and I were speculating about it and decided that most average golfers would putt into that water at least twice.

K

Ken,

I'd take that bet.  That math shows I could 3 putt 9 of the greens and 4 putt the other 9 and still break 100.

Where do I sign up.....  ;D

MClutterbuck

Re: A thought re AGNC New
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 12:20:56 PM »
I was impressed by the probability that I could give almost anyone I know 18 greens in regulation and win money by betting they couldn't break 100.

My brother and I were speculating about it and decided that most average golfers would putt into that water at least twice.

K

Ken,

I'd take that bet.  That math shows I could 3 putt 9 of the greens and 4 putt the other 9 and still break 100.

Where do I sign up.....  ;D

No doubt I would take it too. Provided you do not choose a spot that has no chance to leave it close. Three putts are ANGC are caused by trying to 2 putt. If you know you can 4 putt half of then greens, it is more than doable.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:46:42 PM by MClutterbuck »

jeffwarne

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 06:59:14 PM »
I have played Augusta twice from the members tees. I had been there 7 times prior averaging about 2 days each.

When I stepped on the first tee I was shocked, the first time I played it. I didn't recognize the hole without the spectators, it looked miles wide. Only 2 holes are narrow, #7 and #11. #18 from the tournament tees is ridiculous for me, but not so from the members tees.

Speith made 2 mistakes on 12 in my humble opinion. On the first, after fighting the hook all day, he came out of his posture He would have been better off trusting his swing. His dumbest move was where he dropped it, he should have been programed to use the drop area with a full swing from a flat lie, but he panicked and his brain went dumb, we've all been there. He'll learn from this, but it was his swing that let him down all day, and tough to win when you are fighting your swing.

How was he going to make a full swing from the drop area at 65 yards?
I'd say he simply should've made a better swing from where he dropped it.(full swing yardage 80)
Dumb is not a word I would use when speaking about team Spieth.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back