News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Boring Masters!
« on: April 09, 2016, 06:55:14 PM »
Our gang went for lunch and returned home with snacks and drinks to watch 'moving day' at Augusta....maybe one of the best golf viewing days of the year.
Two of us are asleep and the rest of us are talking and on our phones.
Is this due to garbage golf or garbage course set up and redesign?
This topic has been mentioned before but I had to bring it back up as this is COMPLETELY BORING!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: Boring Masters!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:00:02 PM »
It's due to difficult hole locations, unpredictable winds across the course and, honestly, some sub-par decision making. Guys are taking risks on the greens that they don't need to take on Saturday.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 07:02:36 PM »
Thats because the rest of the field finished an hour ago.
Go Bernhard!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »
I once saw Bernhard play through Jeff Maggert in a practice round at Oak Hill. Think about it for a moment...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Paul Carey

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 07:23:51 PM »
Take these conditions, take out Fazio's trees and rough and it would be great fun to watch.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »
I once saw Bernhard play through Jeff Maggert in a practice round at Oak Hill. Think about it for a moment...
classic! Thank you for my afternoon's entertainment.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 07:32:53 PM »
Take these conditions, take out Fazio's trees and rough and it would be great fun to watch.
so it's the course set up?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 07:41:32 PM »
Smylie is loved at Victoria:

http://ajga.typepad.com/ajgablog/2015/05/more-memories-for-kaufman-at-victoria-national.html

Jordan is a good Jesuit trained Catholic:

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2015/04/15/jesuit-educated-jordan-spieth-will-remain-grounded-after-masters-victory/

Maybe the tournament will be boring, but I am dying to see which way John Kavanaugh goes !!
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 07:48:22 PM »
There are few things I enjoy more in watching golf than seeing a collective train wreck among the game's best players.

Better than the usual birdie-fest we're subject to on the PGA Tour.

I've enjoyed it.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 08:14:19 PM »
"The last three holes had no challenge and I dropped 5 shots the last 2 days".

Blow them up! Lengthen them. More bunkers, rough and trees.

Keep waiting for the invite arriving next year Jordie!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »
Tomorrow will be a shoot out...they will water the hell out of the course tonite for someone to shoot 66
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Scott McWethy

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »
There are few things I enjoy more in watching golf than seeing a collective train wreck among the game's best players.

I've enjoyed it.

Phil, what you've described is the US Open every year.

Phil McDade

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 09:00:12 PM »

I've enjoyed it.

Phil, what you've described is the US Open every year.

My views on the U.S. Open are well-known around here. It's a grind, and it ought to be.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »
I couldn't watch on television today, so I was on masters.com using their "shot tracking" feature. The tournament seemed anything but boring -- I got to see overheads of the lines Bernhard Langer was taking (driving it of about 275) compared to Jason Day (driving it 320); and then on the greens, it was fun trying to predict who was more likely to make their putts based on where they'd landed the ball (given that the tracker shows green contours as well).

Peter 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:38:47 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 09:21:06 PM »
I'd have to agree...I turned it off and took a nap!!

Other than Bernhard...nothing else to watch.  Tiger grinding was one thing, you knew he was going to do something amazing....Spieth not so much.

BHoover

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »

Other than Bernhard...nothing else to watch.  Tiger grinding was one thing, you knew he was going to do something amazing....Spieth not so much.

This is almost the most ridiculous thing you've written in three days. But when you're used to playing great golf yourself, I guess it gets boring watching the pros.

I do look forward to seeing the improvements you'll make to the course and tournament as Chairman.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:25:56 PM by Brian Hoover »

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 10:33:07 PM »

Plenty to watch.
one of the better Masters.
Watson, an amateur contending, a player leading 7 straight rounds. (Tiger never did that) DJ, Langer,
The conditions are tough.I ws there this morning and hit balls in the afternoon.It was blowing too hard for much meaningful practice and I play in a lot of wind.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dean Stokes

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 10:55:41 PM »
Was it boring? It was terrible tv this afternoon...that's all I'm pointing out and asking if it's due to the course set up? Yes it was windy...agreed. We knew that was going to be the case early in the week so why no tee or pin changes? Is entertainment of no interest anymore?

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 11:08:56 PM »
Was it boring? It was terrible tv this afternoon...that's all I'm pointing out and asking if it's due to the course set up? Yes it was windy...agreed. We knew that was going to be the case early in the week so why no tee or pin changes? Is entertainment of no interest anymore?

Dean, Spieth is unwatchable for sure.and tge coverage could be better.
If the conditions are tough, why change the
course?
Cant you enjoy the best score possible?To say nothing of all the interesting back stories?
Admittedly I'm biased but why must the score be low for enjoyment?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 11:25:20 PM »

There are interesting player stories, and having a 58 year old in the hunt doesn't hurt, but it's going to be a little boring when you don't have a player capable of this in the field:

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 11:26:25 PM »
If the committee wants lower scores, it can select accessible hole locations. No wind short of a hurricane would render accessible hole locations inaccessible. I believe it is that easy.

Changed watering patterns of greens would make putting inconsistent from hole to hole.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2016, 11:28:23 PM »
Tomorrow will be a shoot out...they will water the hell out of the course tonite for someone to shoot 66

And the wind will be 5 mph

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 01:39:16 AM »
The four pin positions are set for the week early in the week. We know where they'll be on Sunday. That leaves little wiggle room for moving them on Saturday.

Why move the tees up. A 58-year-old was able to get around just fine. This isn't Bethpage, where players couldn't reach the fairway into the wind. I found the day fascinating to watch great players try to outfox the course and often get outfoxed themselves.

CBS needed a little more variety in player selection early – Lance Barrow doesn't show as many shots as Frank Chirkinian – but got better as things went along.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 03:17:52 AM »
Made a comment on another thread about this before I saw this thread. Jordan Spieth must be the most boring player to watch of all time. Not because of the golf shots he hits because these are often wonderful but rather because of all the excruciating time he takes to hit them. If this is typical of him then someone needs to take him in hand as it makes for very dull watching. I switched off after 13 holes as most players had already finished.

How was it possible that he was not penalised for slow play. And how come Rory didn't tell him to speed up? Jordan Spieth is a wonderful player but seems to have no respect for other players, golfers or viewer IMO.

Jon

Dean Stokes

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 07:28:12 AM »
Jeff I'm not sure the scores need to all be low but this isn't the US Open and there are typically birdies/eagles and "roars" to excite and make you wonder what happened across Amen Corner.
My FB page is full of the same moans and groans this morning from friends golf buds around the world with the same feelings....the love affair with Spieth has abruptly ended....the course set up made it BORING to watch.
Now of course I see the brilliance of the golfers to get around in par on such a tough day. I love the golf course. It's still boring. Even some of the players look bored!!!!!
Ps. I read where many of us(you) complained about the pace of play during the drive chip and putt.....well take a look at the number one roll model for the kids!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back