News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

AWESOME: Horschel's ball in water on 15
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »
Play faster and that problem goes away.  Mark, read, place, putt. Can the "mark, read, place, read, putt" rigamarole.

And stop whining to the rules official.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Pete_Pittock

Re: AWESOME: Horschel's ball in water on 15
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 04:16:48 PM »
For those of you not watching, Billy Horschel was standing over his ball on the 15th green. A gust of wind started it rolling, and it ended up in the fronting pond. He relief had to be taken on the fairway side of the pond. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 04:39:43 PM »
Grasshopper - does this mean you consider 15 a 'random score generator' as well? I mean, the hole sure produces 'drama' in abundance with such random events
Sensei
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:42:16 PM by Peter Pallotta »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 04:48:27 PM »
Occam's razor only applies when the simple explanation and complex explanation both work equally well. If a more complex explanation does a better job than a simpler one, then you should use the complex one.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/718918894161944576

Here is a vine posted on Twitter of the moment.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JESII

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 08:03:28 PM »
Couldn't have happened to a better guy...

JMEvensky

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 09:24:12 PM »

+1

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 02:46:10 AM »
I did not see the incident live just an edited version but in the interview he gave to the BBC afterwards he seemed to take it on the chin in a very good fashion.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 05:44:19 AM »
I gotta say I was very surprised his ball wasn't marked during his walkabout. Still, a very bad break. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 06:34:39 AM »
Maybe they should flatten the green a little to prevent it happening. This would also allow them the to crank up the green speed to make the hole even more interesting ::)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 08:02:52 AM »
I didn't see the entire incident so could I get some clarification.  If he marked his ball and picked it up and then replaced it and removed the marker and the wind blew it into the water would there be a penalty?

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 08:06:41 AM »
They should tell Billy that the ball would never have been blown off the green at Chambers Bay.  Bet he was wishing there was a slight imperfection near the front of 15 green that would have stopped that ball.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »

+1
Horshel comes across as intense and a bit over wrought and I generally do not pay much attention to the 'personalities' or dispositions of golf pros, but this comment is in bad form.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

JESII

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 09:18:08 AM »
Carl - maybe. I don't usually take pot shots based on an opinion but his display at Chambers Bay last year justifies this but if karma for me...

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 11:25:22 AM »
I didn't see the entire incident so could I get some clarification.  If he marked his ball and picked it up and then replaced it and removed the marker and the wind blew it into the water would there be a penalty?
Yes, he had to mark, lift, replace and leave the marker so he could replace the ball and not to be penalized.[size=78%] [/size]
[/size]

Chris Cupit

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 02:49:55 PM »
I may be misreading the post above but the way I am reading it, what is said is not correct.

When you replace a ball on the putting green it is "in play" the moment you let go of it irrespective of the ball marker being there.

So with the ball back on the ground, it is in play and you now remove the mark (itself an immovable obstruction).  If you accidently bump the ball and it moves as a result of removing the mark, there is no penalty and you simply replace the ball.

If the ball is in play and at rest (hasn't moved for a second or two), if wind or water (NOT outside agencies) cause the ball to move, you play the ball without penalty from wherever it ends up.  If the ball is blown into the hole, it's your lucky day.  If it blows and rolls into a water hazard or OB, not so lucky.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:51:43 PM by Chris Cupit »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 03:08:27 PM »

+1
Horshel comes across as intense and a bit over wrought and I generally do not pay much attention to the 'personalities' or dispositions of golf pros, but this comment is in bad form.

True, that. Horschel made enough for a career in the year he won the FedEx Cup. He should have better perspective after such great fortune.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »
Just for the record, I didn't mean for this to be personal. Just saying once he got the read off his mark, place it and putt it.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »
Funnily enuf, after I wrote my post I looked at the tv and Horschel holed out a wedge shot because the ball hit the flagstick squarely and it ran down the stick into the hole. Pure luck. He reacted gleefully, showing he's not plagued by short term memory traumas.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back